• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating Old Clothes

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So, I've got a ton of clothes I don't wear much anymore that I should probably donate. I don't like donating to discriminatory organizations or orgs that turn around and sell them.

Anybody know of solutions to these caveats?

I've considered womens' shelters, I may need to look into their practices locally. I know some that do good work, but I don't know how they operate in terms of donations.

Jeremiah Ames

D4BD1A13-B4AC-4E95-87E9-61239A5678CC.jpeg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, I've got a ton of clothes I don't wear much anymore that I should probably donate. I don't like donating to discriminatory organizations or orgs that turn around and sell them.

I've considered womens' shelters, I may need to look into their practices locally. I know some that do good work, but I don't know how they operate in terms of donations.
One organization I know that sells donated clothing
hires people in recovery. The money covers the costs
of labor & the facility. Worth reconsidering.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Around town, we have boxes that people put donations of books in, and sometimes there are boxes for food donations that are open for any and all to take/add as they see fit. I stick any unwanted clothing into the food donation boxes. It gets taken quickly, in my experience.

F1fan

Veteran Member

I think donating to women's shelters is a great idea. They surely have a list of items they need.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think donating to women's shelters is a great idea. They surely have a list of items they need.

I've donated tons of food to one that's helped a couple of people I've known. I probably just need to look into getting them clothes. I'll either send an email tonight or have someone call tomorrow.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I've donated tons of food to one that's helped a couple of people I've known. I probably just need to look into getting them clothes. I'll either send an email tonight or have someone call tomorrow.
You're a good cat, unlike any of my troublemakers.

I've seen ads from a sports sock manufacturer who make and donate socks to homeless shelters. I'm stocking up a collection of my used, but good, summer and wool socks to donate this fall. Costco has really nice wool blend socks that I like, fairly inexpensive. Probably ought to just buy a couple packages on those and donate, eh?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You're a good cat, unlike any of my troublemakers.

I've seen ads from a sports sock manufacturer who make and donate socks to homeless shelters. I'm stocking up a collection of my used, but good, summer and wool socks to donate this fall. Costco has really nice wool blend socks that I like, fairly inexpensive. Probably ought to just buy a couple packages on those and donate, eh?

I imagine wool socks are super important!! That's a really good idea! I might get some to just add to the donation pile.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Another thing homeless shelters (I don't know about womens' shelters but probably those too) lack in abundance is feminine hygiene products, keep that in mind too!

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

You could personally give them to people.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You could personally give them to people.
Yeah. You know that feeling when you dated a girl and you ended up with one of her t-shirts by accident and it's cool, and then after you break up you're wearing it when you run into her accidentally? Awkward.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yeah. You know that feeling when you dated a girl and you ended up with one of her t-shirts by accident and it's cool, and then after you break up you're wearing it when you run into her accidentally? Awkward.

I still have clothes from my ex and she probably still has some of mine. We were the same height, basically the same build (though she had bigger boobs). It kind of just got all switched up, like at times it's like "I have no idea whose this originally was but it's mine now."

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I still have clothes from my ex and she probably still has some of mine. We were the same height, basically the same build (though she had bigger boobs). It kind of just got all switched up, like at times it's like "I have no idea whose this originally was but it's mine now."

My husband and I used to share pants... we both like the really baggy 90s style stuff. I had one child when I met him, and had retained my figure, but then I had two more... and well, I expanded considerably. He doesn't understand why I wont' wear his pants anymore...

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
My husband and I used to share pants... we both like the really baggy 90s style stuff. I had one child when I met him, and had retained my figure, but then I had two more... and well, I expanded considerably. He doesn't understand why I wont' wear his pants anymore...

Awh that's so cute ^.^