• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religion Influence Your Work Ethic or How You Do Business?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does your religion influence your work ethic or how you do business? If so, how?

JJ50

In my youth I knew quite a number of Christian fundies who were oh so holy on a Sunday, but you couldn't trust them any further than you could throw them where their business dealings, and the treatment of women was concerned.:mad:

Jumi

No, but my behavior is influenced by people who were Lutheran at the time traditions formed. There is a so-called Protestant Work Ethic that's pretty universal here, whether one is Atheist or Christian so it's hard to say if it's religious or not.

Does your religion influence your work ethic or how you do business? If so, how?

Absolutely.

Ephesians 6

"5Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. 6Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart. 7Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 8Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free.

9Masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Don’t threaten them; remember, you both have the same Master in heaven, and he has no favorites."

The way i always summed it up in my head is i do my work the same way whether the boss is around or not.

And in my case, im lucky, my boss is never around. Id prefer it that way due to nit picking experiences ive had in the past.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

While I have no religion, per se, my worldview does impact my business ethics. I treat people with dharma in mind, and treat people (my team and my customers alike) the way I would like to be treated.

One example is that I have a newer but very talented manager that I just promoted to General Manager of one of my restaurants. I heard from my training manager that she had been interviewing with a competitor (the process began prior to the promotion) and that she was quite far along in the interview process, and that he believed she was 50/50 on whether she would accept the position.

While discussion with the director of operations on how to approach the situation, because I did not want to betray the trust the newly promoted RGM had in the training manager, as what she told him was in confidence, He suggested that I fabricate a story about how I found out she was talking to the competitor. I made it clear that I do not lie, and would not lie to one of my managers, regardless of circumstance.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
It certainly impacts my business ethics, no doubt.

There is a developed body of Catholic Social Doctrine (pieces of which I've shared here and there on this forum, disparately in relation to different topics), in addition to the gospel witness of Jesus himself.

In economics, it has led me to favour a social market and in business more generally, social entrepreneurship.

Workers rights are essential in this framework, because of the dignity of the labourer and the fact that oppression of the poor and defrauding labourers of their wages, are two of the class of sins which "cry to heaven for vengeance" in the church's catechical tradition, derived from the medieval canons. “Behold the hire of the labourers, who have reaped down your fields, which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth; and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabbath”, as the New Testament so delicately puts it.

I'm partial to an orthodox reading of liberation theology myself.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Definitely! As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I am guided by Bible principles in my everyday life - every aspect of life.

There are thousands of experience which shows that JWs allow Bible principles to direct them in daily living.
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201502/honesty/
When looking for prospective employees, some employers have gone to groups that are known for their honesty. For example, a company manager in the Philippines wrote to the local office of Jehovah’s Witnesses inviting Witnesses to apply for work. They are “hardworking, honest, and dedicated,” he said. The credit for this, however, goes to Jehovah God, who teaches us to “hate what is bad” and to “love what is good.” — Amos 5:15.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no1-2016-january/be-honest/
In the Bible, the original Greek word that is sometimes translated “honesty” literally means “something that is intrinsically good.” It can also carry the meaning of something beautiful to behold in a moral sense.

Christians take seriously the apostle Paul’s inspired words: “We wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things.” What does that involve?

Clean Conscience
“When my boss found out that I had turned down a bribe from a potential customer, he said to me: ‘Your God makes you such a trustworthy person! It truly is a blessing to have you here in our company.’ To be honest in all things enables me to have a clean conscience before Jehovah God. It also allows me to help my family and others to do the same.” — Sonny, Hong Kong.

Peace of Mind
“I work as an executive assistant at an international bank. In this business, honesty is often shoved aside for the sake of gaining wealth. The widespread view is, ‘What’s the harm in a little dishonesty if it promotes wealth and helps the economy?’ But by being honest, I have peace of mind. I am resolved to remain honest and face whatever consequences may come. My employers know that I will not lie to them or for them.” — Tom, United States.

Self-Respect
“My supervisor at work encouraged me to lie about some missing supplies at work, but I refused. When the thieves were finally revealed, my employer thanked me for being honest. Being honest in a dishonest world calls for courage. But in the end, we can gain the trust and respect of others.” — Kaori, Japan.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20001101/Is-Bible-Morality-the-Best/
Is Bible Morality the Best?
Christine was taught to steal from the time she was 12 years of age. Over the years she became a proficient pickpocket. “There were days when I brought home up to DM 5,000 [$2,200, U.S.] in cash,” she explains. But Christine was arrested several times, and she lived with the constant risk of being sent to prison. When Jehovah’s Witnesses explained to her what the Bible says about honesty, Christine was attracted to the Bible’s moral standards. She learned to obey the admonition: “Let the stealer steal no more.” — Ephesians 4:28.

By the time Christine got baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, she was no longer a thief. She was endeavoring to be honest in all things, since the Witnesses place great emphasis on honesty and other Christian qualities. The newspaper Lausitzer Rundschau reports: “Such moral terms as honesty, moderation, and love of neighbor are rated very highly in the faith of the Witnesses.” How does Christine feel about the change in her life? “I am much happier now that I have stopped stealing. I feel that I am an honorable member of society.”

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20110415/How-to-Remain-Honest-in-a-Dishonest-World/
How to Remain Honest in a Dishonest World
Being honest at our workplace includes “not committing theft” — even if doing so is the supposed norm. (Titus 2:9, 10) Jurandir, who works at a government agency, was honest when reporting his travel expenses. His colleagues, though, claimed more than they had spent. They could do so because the head of the department covered for the dishonest workers. In fact, that same person reprimanded Jurandir for being honest and stopped sending him on business trips. In time, however, the agency was audited, and Jurandir was commended for his honesty. He also received a promotion.

André, a salesman, was told by his employer to charge the same service fee twice to customers’ accounts. Our brother prayed to Jehovah for courage to adhere to Bible principles. (Ps. 145:18-20) He also tried to explain to his employer why he could not follow his instructions—but to no avail. So André decided to quit this well-paying job. However, about a year later, his former employer called him back to work, assuring him that the customers were no longer being overcharged. André was promoted to manager.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/...une-2016/honesty-more-precious-than-diamonds/
A Godly Quality More Precious Than Diamonds
Jehovah himself is honest. He “cannot lie.” (Titus 1:2) And he inspired the apostle Paul to write to the Hebrew Christians in the first century: “Keep praying for us, for we trust we have an honest conscience, as we wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things.” — Hebrews 13:18.

THE CHALLENGE OF BEING HONEST
It can be difficult to be honest in these last days when many are “lovers of themselves, lovers of money.” (2 Timothy 3:2) When there is a financial crisis or when jobs are hard to find, many do not have a problem with stealing, cheating, or doing other dishonest things. This kind of thinking is so common that many feel that the only way to benefit materially is to be dishonest. Even some Christians have made bad decisions and for “dishonest gain” have lost their good reputation in the congregation. — 1 Timothy 3:8; Titus 1:7.

Most Christians, however, imitate Jesus. They realize that having qualities like those of God is more important than any riches or benefits. That is why young Christians do not cheat to get good grades at school. (Proverbs 20:23) Honesty may not always result in receiving a reward, as Haykanush did. Still, being honest is what God says is right, and it allows us to have a clean conscience, something truly valuable.

Gagik’s example shows that. He says: “Before becoming a Christian, I was working for a large company where the owner avoided paying taxes by reporting only a small portion of the company’s profit. As managing director, I was expected to come to ‘an agreement’ with the tax agent by bribing him to overlook the company’s fraudulent practices. As a result, I had the reputation of being dishonest. When I learned the truth, I refused to continue doing that, even though the job paid very well. Instead, I opened my own business. And from day one, I legally registered my company and paid all my taxes.” — 2 Corinthians 8:21.

Gagik says: “My income dropped by about half, so it was a challenge to provide for my family. However, I feel happier now. I have a clean conscience before Jehovah. I am a good example for my two sons, and I have qualified for privileges in the congregation. Among tax auditors and others with whom I do business, I now have the reputation of being an honest man.”

Jehovah's Witnesses in 240 lands worldwide are given this instruction to live by Bible principles, and as individuals, we endeavor to carry out that instruction, because we know it is good, and and it pleases our creator.

So it is always in my mind to be honest in all things. I never even consider cheating someone. I more end up robbing myself, by charging less for a job.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have a coworker who has said so....to my face

the boss is always right....no matter what
they pay me to do stupid things
they will pay me to do stupider things
and as long as they pay....I will do whatever I am told to do

he also claims that serving the boss is the SAME
as serving Jesus of Nazareth

I want to be a disciple of Jesus. That means I want to live as Jesus taught. That means I want to love my neighbors as myself. That I think shows, or at least should show in all aspects of life.

GoodbyeDave

No. Polytheistic religions are about the relations of humans and gods. Ethics is considered a social matter. Like Aristotle and Mencius, I believe that the key to flourishing as a human being is to be virtuous: that's not religion, just common sense.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My religion is not distinct from who I am or my way of life. I mean, my current job is basically proselytizing. Many of the greater gods in my "pantheon" are abstract principles, among which are things like Learning and Education, Creativity and Inspiration, Science and Inquiry. I work at a university - I preach about the importance of learning and finding your passion on a routine basis. I'm basically clergy preaching the word of nature, learning, and science. :cool: