• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religion Have Faults?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Does your religion have faults or dogma/tenets you don't agree with? If so, why is it still your religion
In Judaism there is often a sharp contrast between the written dogma/tenets and the way the religion is practiced. My disagreements tend to be with what was written, not in practice.

leroy

I was reading in another thread about a poster having come to terms with the faults in their religion, which inspired this thread.

Does your religion have faults or dogma/tenets you don't agree with? If so, why is it still your religion?
Yes as a Christian I don’t like all the verses in the bible that seem to condemn gay people / slavery verses/ + a whole of other stuff that God did and that I disagree.

Why am I still a Christian

Well for 2 reasons

1 things are not wrong just because I don’t like them

2 my religion is grounded on the resurecton of Jesus, all the other stuff that I don’t like is secondary perhaps

A.. I am misunderstanding the text and things are not as bad as they sound

B .. There is a good reason or explanation that I can’t understand for why God allowed/commanded this stuff

C Perhaps those particular books / texts are not inspired by God (and therefore I can simply reject them)

But in any case (A,B,C) Christianity would not be falsified.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I was reading in another thread about a poster having come to terms with the faults in their religion, which inspired this thread.

Does your religion have faults or dogma/tenets you don't agree with? If so, why is it still your religion?
Our religion has everyone in it imperfect.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Buddhism is not a revealed religion, nor dogmatic and covers a wide base such as Theravada, Pure Land and Zen - which have quite considerable differences. I think the entry requirements are quite few and beyond that it's hard to generalise. What I agree with or appreciate is what led me to where I "am."

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Personally I see a God given Faith is the path to truth so the given Message is faultless.

In saying that, there are very few people that can embrace that Message in the full light of that Truth, so Faith will be tarnished by our own perceptions and mistakes.

This speech by the Pope is worth considering.

https://catholicnews.com/pope-religions-must-be-purified-of-extremism-self-righteousness/

Pope Francis said.

“It is time to realize that fundamentalism defiles and corrupts every creed; time for open and compassionate hearts,”

And

“We need religion in order to respond to the thirst for world peace and the thirst for the infinite that dwells in the heart of each man and woman,”

Regards Tony

Suave

Simulated character

My religion of Matrixism follows the notion of us being simulated characters animated or reanimated by a simulator or simulators, this notion of us being simulated would currently cost nearly two trillion dollars for conducting an experiment testing simulation theory,

"Theoretical physicist Dr. S. James Gates Jr. claims that a certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations describing the nature and reality of our universe, contains embedded computer codes; these codes have digital data in the form of 0's and 1's identical to what makes web browsers function, and they're error-correct codes."

Please note the discovery of error correcting codes within the equations of symmetry is a rigorously proven theorem.

Reference: https://www.quora.com/Is-theoretica...mmunity-and-has-it-been-corroborated-by-other

"Is theoretical physicist James Gates’ intriguing discovery of error-correcting codes within the equations of supersymmetry accepted within the theoretical physicist community, and has it been corroborated by other physicists?

Tristan Hubsch
, PhD Physics, University of Maryland, College Park (1987)
Answered 3 years ago · Author has 1.4K answers and 1M answer views

A.: The discovery is a rigorously proven theorem.

To be precise, the (error-detecting and error-correcting binary doubly-even linear block) codes were discovered/identified within the classification of worldline off-shell supermultiplets without central charge [On Graph-Theoretic Identifications of Adinkras, Supersymmetry Representations and Superfields, by C.F. Doran, M.G. Faux, S.J. Gates, Jr., T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Int. J. Mod. Phys. A22 (2007) 869-930, arXiv:math-ph/0512016]. It was then proven that these (minimal) supermultiplets in turn encode the continuum of all possible worldline supermultiplets [On General Off-Shell Representations of Worldline (1D) Supersymmetry, by C.F. Doran, T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Symmetry 6 no. 1, (2014) 67–88, arXiv:1310.3258]. See also my answer to “James Gates claims that he found code in string theory. Does that imply that we live in a simulation?”

If string theory proves to be a valid explanation for the fundamental constituents of the universe being one-dimensional “strings” rather than point-like particles, then the computer code found within string theory might be prima facie evidence of our universe being simulated,

Benjamin Wandelt, a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Illinois says that ancient light from the beginnings of our universe was absorbed by neutral hydrogen atoms. By studying these atoms, certain predictions of string theory could be tested. Making the measurements, however, would require a gigantic array of radio telescopes to be built on Earth, in space or on the moon. And it would be really gigantic: Wandelt proposes an array of radio telescopes with a collective area of more than 1,000 square kilometers. Such an array could be built using current technology, Wandelt said, but would be prohibitively expensive.

Benjamin D Wandelt | Physics | UIUC (illinois.edu)

How much would the experiment testing your religion's notion cost to validate?

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

By religion if you are referring to God and His Prophets - absolutely not. God I believe is perfect and His Prophets are Beings free from error.

But as people and followers we are imperfect and have many shortcomings and faults. Baha’is are just ordinary people like anyone else. We make mistakes but overall we are united and get along very well.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
“We need religion in order to respond to the thirst for world peace and the thirst for the infinite that dwells in the heart of each man and woman,”
We have had religions since Neanderthal times. If religions could have brought peace, it would have been done by now. Religion is the biggest reason of discord.
By religion if you are referring to God and His Prophets - absolutely not. God I believe is perfect and His Prophets are Beings free from error.
But as people and followers we are imperfect and have many shortcomings and faults.
Don't know about so-called God and his prophets. But if we have been made imperfect, it is dishonest to talk about peace.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I disagree with its teachings on sex and LGBT people. I think it's way too harsh, like saying masturbation is "grave matter" that could send you to hell. Oh, please. :rolleyes: Those are not matters of fundamental dogma like you find in the Nicene Creed, though, so it's not that big of a deal to me. Most Catholics reject the Church's official teachings on such matters, anyway, and the clergy know it. I still believe in marriage, monogamy and love that the Church has high ideals in that regard, though.

I also think the Catholic Church went too far with the promotion of the Pope over the other Patriarchs, and that the Orthodox Church retains more of the ancient traditions and organization. However, I think that, to a large extent, these are cultural differences and can be resolved amicably.

Other than that, I only find fault in the human side of the institution. The Vatican makes me angry regularly. Lol.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Does Your Religion Have Faults?

IMO:
Religion is rather diverse. Some are 'brought" to earth by a prophet, whereas others arise because people search for answers to certain existential questions

Secularism has to do with worldliness, whereas Spirituality has to do with the deeper meaning of life. Religion can be seen as a group of people who believe in similar Spiritual Truths

For me Religious feelings have to do with Spiritual Quest in life. So, it's all about inner personal transformation to be ready for the final "Spiritual exam"

There is no such thing as "faults in Religion", because Religion is about personal Spiritual Quest. Fault searching has to do with worldliness. Improve oneself is important; to live a Dharmic life. It's about personal transformation to be able to connect with the Divine (within)

So to answer your question:
My Religion has no Faults
My personal faults I need to correct

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
If it didn't I wouldn't believe it. Perfection doesn't exist and if it did, life wouldn't be worth living.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If that were true, Christianity would not exist. Or is it the interpretation of 'that God', that does not exist? Which I would agree with.

The interpretation...I guess it was obvious.:)
I mean...I don't believe in Adam and Eve