• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Religion Have Faults?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading in another thread about a poster having come to terms with the faults in their religion, which inspired this thread.

Does your religion have faults or dogma/tenets you don't agree with? If so, why is it still your religion?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading in another thread about a poster having come to terms with the faults in their religion, which inspired this thread.

Does your religion have faults or dogma/tenets you don't agree with? If so, why is it still your religion?

My Faith community is comprised of very fallible, imperfect people such as myself who have many faults. Our faith community is governed by elected Assemblies composed of these same imperfect people who collectively make decisions. Sometimes our Assemblies make decisions I struggle with.

I persist with my religion in spite of this because rightly or wrongly I believe in God and His Prophets and I believe Baha'u'llah is one of His Prophets.

RestlessSoul

I can find no fault in the Christ of the Gospels. I can find plenty of fault with all the Christian churches, because those are man made institutions; the hierarchy of all those churches are no better and no worse imo than the Scribes and Pharisees Jesus criticised for hypocrisy. The best of them, like the current Pope, will see this in themselves and strive to correct it.

But why all the emphasis on pointing out to others, where their belief system is wrong? Why look for the negative all the time?

When it comes to other faiths, I am interested only in what they have to offer, and what I can learn from them. I have no interest in telling a Hindu or a Jew where I think they are going wrong; there are aspects of Hindu nationalism in India, and of Israeli treatment of Palestinian Arabs, which I find disturbing. But to attack the Hindu or Jewish faiths on the basis of the behaviour of some adherents, would constitute appallingly ignorant behaviour on my part.

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes and no. Being that there's no concrete dogma I'm not sure I have to accept those things I see as faults in the first place.

Not sure if this is what you meant though.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Obviously. It's so vast it has to have faults. Contradicting messages is one of them.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From The Trial of God

The trial lasted several nights. Witnesses were heard, evidence was gathered, conclusions were drawn, all of which issued finally in a unanimous verdict: the Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, was found guilty of crimes against creation and humankind. And then, after what Wiesel describes as an "infinity of silence", the Talmudic scholar looked at the sky and said "It's time for evening prayers", and the members of the tribunal recited Maariv, the evening service.

I've always viewed the above as a brilliant vignette.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If you can't admit that there are faults in your religion even if those faults you might not yet know then you don't know your belief system well. Im constantly improving my religious beliefs and I believe that it's possible some my beliefs are wrong even if I don't yet know what is wrong. Then again my belief system by its very nature is individualistic and always changing and evovling to suit current needs.

amorphous_constellation

Static and fluid - most religions are static. I want to design a religion that is fluid - meaning that it can identify faults, and solve for them. It can also make various rules static; those being the ones which it finds to be great foundation pieces.

Truth in love

The doctrine is correct.

The church is filled with imperfect people.

Many times past and I suspect again people will develop unhealthy cultural values, but non of this makes the doctrine wrong.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

There are an uncountable number of things in my religion that I do not agree with and do not follow. In Hinduism it's logically impossible for this not to be the case. Hinduism provides every person the freedom to discern which aspects works best for him/her and pursue that while rejecting the rest. That is a great feature that attracts me to it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like Vinayaka and Sayak say, Hinduism is so vast with all kind of beliefs. Finding faults is easy. The foremost being caste discrimination. But the view I follow is prestinely pure and without any fault whatsoever. Whether there is a fault or not also depends on the view of the person analyzing it.
Almost every Hindu, one billion of them, will find fault in my view. :)
Obviously. It's so vast it has to have faults. Contradicting messages is one of them.
True.
There are an uncountable number of things in my religion that I do not agree with and do not follow. In Hinduism it's logically impossible for this not to be the case. Hinduism provides every person the freedom to discern which aspects works best for him/her and pursue that while rejecting the rest. That is a great feature that attracts me to it.
That is what allowed me to remain in Hinduism, though I am a strong atheist. I found my place in it.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Static and fluid - most religions are static. I want to design a religion that is fluid - meaning that it can identify faults, and solve for them. It can also make various rules static; those being the ones which it finds to be great foundation pieces.

As I understand it, it's a fundamental principle of Buddhism (most schools anyway) that nothing is static, everything is in flux

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
From The Trial of God

The trial lasted several nights. Witnesses were heard, evidence was gathered, conclusions were drawn, all of which issued finally in a unanimous verdict: the Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, was found guilty of crimes against creation and humankind. And then, after what Wiesel describes as an "infinity of silence", the Talmudic scholar looked at the sky and said "It's time for evening prayers", and the members of the tribunal recited Maariv, the evening service.

I've always viewed the above as a brilliant vignette.
This always stuck with me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Same here.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Several dogmas are flawed, like the atonement concept.
I just think it is a matter of interpretation.
That is, the atonement dogma has been misinterpreted throughout the millennia.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

paper dolls. in the idea to truth you're uncovering and not covering it up with pretty because pretty is as pretty does

people are like onions. the apocalypse is about uncovering. egos like to mask.

take it off. TAKE IT OFF

To the gypsy that remains faces freedom with a little fear
I have no fear, I have only love
And if I was a child
And the child was enough
Enough for me to love - gypsy - fleetwood mac
Enough to love