• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Wiccan work?

savethedreams

Well to start off, I'm curious as to is it possible to be a wiccan and not practice any magic or buy any tools? just belive in the god and goddess without speaking to them, live life and die, try to get to summerland.

2. I have looked at many spells, even how to do your own type spells, do these spells actually work? Love spells, binding spells etc got any stories? lol

Erebus

Well to start off, I'm curious as to is it possible to be a wiccan and not practice any magic or buy any tools? just belive in the god and goddess without speaking to them, live life and die, try to get to summerland.

2. I have looked at many spells, even how to do your own type spells, do these spells actually work? Love spells, binding spells etc got any stories? lol

A lot of this depends on how you percieve Wicca. Some people will argue that to be considered Wiccan, you need to be part of a coven for example, others will argue this isn't the case.
Magic is certainly a large part of Wicca, more so than many other religions that incorporate a belief in Magic, but unless you are a coven member, I don't think it's compulsory.

Magic does indeed work. Whether it works via supernatural means or simply via the placebo effect is up for debate though ;)

Renji

Just a suggestion, why don't you try those spells then you decide if it really works?:D

savethedreams

Just a suggestion, why don't you try those spells then you decide if it really works?:D

I have, magic reminds me of wishes, if it works it works like wishing upon a star. So have I ever wished for something and got it yes, but I'm talking mor of supernatural magic, such as love spells.

Renji

I would say stay away from 'Love' spells. From my experience they can cause a lot of trouble one my not want.
Any less it's a wide, to bring love into your life, then good ahead. Spells like this toward a certain person can really mess thing up.

Yeah, I've red the same article on the net (but I'm not a wiccan). I'm just saying this so that this guy would stop asking about it. I think, he would believe in spells once he tried doing one and worked:D

Sententia

Aye. When I questioned Prayer I prayed... When I questioned ritual magic I casted spells...

Cast them. (As long as no harm is done)

See what happens. You might be surprised or not.

Onkara

Savethedreams
Yes, take care with spells which imply a return. Especially a negative one. My perspective is that any gain is offset against a loss. For this reason I think your initial suggestion of worshipping the Gods and Goddesses alone is a sound way forward. As UV says, it has to work for you, there is no obligation unless you impose one or join a group which does. :)

Last edited:

sol_mas

Spiritual Investigator

I'd say yes, it's possible to be Wiccan and not practice magick. Like others have said, though, people have different thoughts on it.

Based on what I've learned about magick I personally stay away from it (at least for now). Learn more about it before going to deep into it. It will work as you want it to, but there can be consequences. Something gained is often something taken away.

BTW, why would you not want to speak to the God and Goddess? No magick, no tools, no interaction with the Gods - are you sure you're interested in Wicca? ;-)

-sm

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line

It depends on how you view your craft really. Wicca is a framework you the practitioner fill in. My wife refused to have a craft tool she has bought, all her tools are either found or are gifts. When I was younger, I bought/made/remade all my tools. Now I only use the tools when I perform ritual with others, when I perform ritual by myself I don't use any tools, tools are just a focus to get you onto the same page as the energies your calling upon. If you mentally have the strength to see beyond what the tool is and see what it represents then the athame is only a piece of iron.

As for magic working, it can work but it requires faith on the person calling upon it. If you believe it will work then it will, if you believe that you need a green candle to work money magic then you do. If I believed that I need a piece of purple stone from a swamp then that is what I would need to make it work.