• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Veda prohibit idols/statue worship?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I endorse friend @SomeRandom that not only metaphors but all poetic tools might have been used in Veda.
But I don't endorse him on that idols or statues are metaphors and supported by the Veda scripture and are needed in the worship houses, these are nothing but distractions from Brahman. Brahman does not need them. Right? Please
Regards
No people can worship however, whatever and whomever they please. Brahman is happy either way. S/He is not so filled with petty jealousy or hubris to care.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No people can worship however, whatever and whomever they please. Brahman is happy either way. S/He is not so filled with petty jealousy or hubris to care.
Brahman did not tell that. Did he? If yes, then please quote from Him from Veda.
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would actually say yes, the idols should not be worshiped. keep in mind that there are varying opinions on this.
Do you also think that idols now being worshiped should be destroyed?
This lone verse (or some others) have been added in the Post-Veda period, in the Veda-Period it was not in the Veda, not at all.
You have some proof for that? I know believers do not require proof.
Brahman did not tell that. Did he?
Brahman is not a being, not a person. How would it tell you anything? And why should it? It has no need to do so. It is just its presence which creates this illusionary world along with us in it. You still do not understand Hind philosophy. I am not surprised. Each person has a limit to what he/she can understand.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Brahman is not a He. Brahman is not the same as your God.
One is simply wrong.
Please quote from Veda for claims and reason, please avoid putting words into the mouth of Brahman and please let Brahman speak. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Brahman is not a being, not a person. How would it tell you anything? And why should it? It has no need to do so. It is just its presence which creates this illusionary world along with us in it. You still do not understand Hind philosophy. I am not surprised. Each person has a limit to what he/she can understand.
One may like to read post #26 above. Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One may like to read post #26 above.
"Sarrvam khalvidam brahma - All of this is brahman - Chāndogya Upaniṣad 3.14.1, SamaVeda
If Brahman is all this, than it cannot be a being, human, animal, vegetation, rocks, water, air, sky, etc. It is an altogether different entity.
Please quote the verse one pointed to.
You said that some hymns were added to the Vedas later. I posed the question to you to provide proof that they were added later. You should answer that. For what are you asking me to Vedic quote?
I would actually say yes, the idols should not be worshipped. keep in mind that there are varying opinions on this.
This question is addressed to Syncretic (if you look closely).

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
....it is better that we do not presuppose that a persons intentions are malicious .

Vanakkam, sister

While I understand and agree with what you said, there is no presupposition about the intentions of this person anymore.
Maybe check the dozen other threads like this he did and how they ended up showing his true malicious intents.
He is not seeking comprehension, not seeking debate and not asking honest questions. Just look up onto all his other similar threads and you'll see, this has been going on for a month.

Aum Namah Shivaya

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Sarrvam khalvidam brahma - All of this is brahman - Chāndogya Upaniṣad 3.14.1, SamaVeda
If Brahman is all this, than it cannot be a being, human, animal, vegetation, rocks, water, air, sky, etc. It is an altogether different entity.You said that some hymns were added to the Vedas later. I posed the question to you to provide proof that they were added later. You should answer that. For what are you asking me to Vedic quote?This question is addressed to Syncretic (if you look closely).

Pleas quote from the Veda directly with the context verses and then elaborate one's view-point. Please
Regards

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Brahman did not tell that. Did he? If yes, then please quote from Him from Veda.
Regards
Brahman doesn't communicate through the Vedas exclusively, if at all.
How many times must we tell you that we are not a scripture based religion/philosophy. We make our own decisions and can think for ourselves.

Last edited:

von bek

Namaskaram Vinajaka ji

please do not regard this question as an attack on Hinduism , .....it is better that we do not presuppose that a persons intentions are malicious .

Check out the 20 threads he has started on Hinduism. It is absolutely an attack upon your religion.

Look, I don't think he is evil. But, he has been carrying out a campaign to denigrate Hinduism for abandoning the "true" message of the Vedas, which (surprise, surprise) happens to be Islam.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Namaskaram Vinajaka ji

please do not regard this question as an attack on Hinduism , .....it is better that we do not presuppose that a persons intentions are malicious .

if one reads the Vedas , Yajurveda in particular , one will soon realise that they advocate a very different form of worship to the Deity worship now more commonly associated with Hinduism .

Vanakkam, sister

While I understand and agree with what you said, there is no presupposition about the intentions of this person anymore.
Maybe check the dozen other threads like this he did and how they ended up showing his true malicious intents.
He is not seeking comprehension, not seeking debate and not asking honest questions. Just look up onto all his other similar threads and you'll see, this has been going on for a month.

Aum Namah Shivaya

As well as the threads targeting religions like Christianity & Zoroastrianism in much the same way.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Von bek ji

Check out the 20 threads he has started on Hinduism. It is absolutely an attack upon your religion.

Look, I don't think he is evil. But, he has been carrying out a campaign to denigrate Hinduism for abandoning the "true" message of the Vedas, which (surprise, surprise) happens to be Islam.

if the Vedas are being missquoted by the likes of zakir naik then it behoves us as Hindus to to study and familiarise them selves with the true meaning of the Vedas , ...what saddens me greatly is that the oppertunity presented here to discuss the true purport of the Vedas is being wasted , ....

ok so let us discuss the true mesage contained within the Vedas , .....

but out of curiosity Yes I will go back and read a few posts , .....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram some random ji , .....

Brahman doesn't communicate through the Vedas exclusively, if at all.

Brahman is the absolute reality which pervades all , Vedas reveal that truth , ....

How many times must we tell you that we are not a scripture based religion/philosophy. We make our own decisions and can think for ourselves.

I dont think it is possible to have a universal ''we'' that encapsulates Hinduism as it would appear that some Hindus dont beleive that Hinduism is a scripture based religion ??? ....To some of us Shastra is extremly inportand and nondifferent from the Supreme himself , ....

please do not count me in the ''we'' who'' make our own decisions'' , as far as I am aware we are here for realisation not speculation , in our current state we are incapable of thinking for ourselves due to our extreme ignorance , it is for this reason that we traditionaly rely so heavily upon Shastra , .....

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As well as the threads targeting religions like Christianity & Zoroastrianism in much the same way.
Because I treat all the Holy Scripture of the world from the same source, in this sense as One, when they were revealed originally to the recipient/s or prophets/messenger of G-d, of course the language was different but not the message. Please
Regards