• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Veda prohibit idols/statue worship?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If yes, then, why worship them?
Thread open to everybody a Veda believer or not believer, of religion or no-religion, please
Regards

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig

Does Koran prohibit worship of the Great Holy Space Kitten ? (peace be upon his glorious meow)

I don't see anywhere in Koran that it is explicitely forbidden to worship the Great Holy Space Kitten in all his gloriousness.

It is not even mentioned, to be honest, so why not worship Him and His magnificent fluffiness ?

7dp7x-ps4.jpg

Since it is NOT EXPLICITELY WRITTEN therefore I am right, right right ?
Right ?

Post open to any human being, cat and bronies, except on caturdays

Peace, love regards, potatoes, xoxoxo

Kapalika

Premium Member
Thread open to everybody a Veda believer or not believer, of religion or no-religion, please
Regards

Uh... they are vessels, symbols. Either way, no, not really.

Shhh though... I have Hindu idols around my desk here... the deities inside can hear us speak. er yes, praises to the mother!
Does Koran prohibit worship of the Great Holy Space Kitten ? (peace be upon his glorious meow)

I don't see anywhere in Koran that it is explicitely forbidden to worship the Great Holy Space Kitten in all his gloriousness.

It is not even mentioned, to be honest, so why not worship Him and His magnificent fluffiness ?

7dp7x-ps4.jpg

Right ?

All praise space cat. Meow of lord Shiva.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If one RigVedic poet does not like worship of idols, it does not make it necessary for all Hindus to stop worship idols, just as denial of existence of Gods or their rise after the production of the universe in one hymn does not make it necessary for all Hindus to deny God. While discussing Hinduism, drop your idiotic Islamic insistence on the word of scriptures. That does not apply here. We are not slaves either to Gods or to scriptures unless one chooses to be. People like me do not even accept the existence of God. Each Hindu will decide what he or she will do. Probably after generations of slavery you just do not know what freedom means.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

7dp7x-ps4.jpg

Right ?

You are misguided but cats are good at that.

keep-calm-and-love-space-dog.png

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Its the only the ignorance that believe that the so called idols to be a idol worship, are a the idol, its not the idol, but what the idol points to that truly matters, its that simple really.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Pasrsurrey ji

Regards

is there a particular verse or section of the Vedas that you have read that leads you to ask this question ?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Some Random ji

No one worships idols or statues. They are a symbolic representation. A tool to help focus ones prayer.

Agreed , ...very few Hindu regard the Deity form or Murti as an Idol , .... Most regard the Deity as a specific manifestation of aspect of the supreme .

however it is prehaps important to realise that it is only the murti made for home worship that is or could be regarded as a representational or symbolic , as these are often made as replicas of temple Murtis many of which are considered to be self manifesting forms of the Supreme .

the Temple deity is considered to be nondifferent from the aspect of God , we are mistakenly thinking is a representation , .....once a deity is instaled in a temple it becomes a physical embodiment of the God or Godess and is more than a tool to aid the devotee in prayer , ....the Deity itself through its Darshan is the bestower of blessings upon all who come before it .

Even those who do not pray will receive blessings from the Darshan of the Deity just by coming before it , the Deity is extremly powerfull , many feel this even on their first visit to a temple , one does not even have to beleive in the residing deity of the temple , that Deity through its Darshan will slowly remove all obsticals a person may have that prohibit direct cognition .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Jaya Bholenath ji

please , please ...Do not mock the religion of others not even in jest , .....if one dislikes a question posed in a post it is better to just egnore than to respond by making fun of what we beleive to be anothers religion , this may acidentaly cause offence to other Muslims .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Vinajaka ji

Please just stop this attack on Hinduism. Too much vitriol.

please do not regard this question as an attack on Hinduism , .....it is better that we do not presuppose that a persons intentions are malicious .

if one reads the Vedas , Yajurveda in particular , one will soon realise that they advocate a very different form of worship to the Deity worship now more commonly associated with Hinduism .

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaskaram Some Random ji

Agreed , ...very few Hindu regard the Deity form or Murti as an Idol , .... Most regard the Deity as a specific manifestation of aspect of the supreme .

however it is prehaps important to realise that it is only the murti made for home worship that is or could be regarded as a representational or symbolic , as these are often made as replicas of temple Murtis many of which are considered to be self manifesting forms of the Supreme .

the Temple deity is considered to be nondifferent from the aspect of God , we are mistakenly thinking is a representation , .....once a deity is instaled in a temple it becomes a physical embodiment of the God or Godess and is more than a tool to aid the devotee in prayer , ....the Deity itself through its Darshan is the bestower of blessings upon all who come before it .

Even those who do not pray will receive blessings from the Darshan of the Deity just by coming before it , the Deity is extremly powerfull , many feel this even on their first visit to a temple , one does not even have to beleive in the residing deity of the temple , that Deity through its Darshan will slowly remove all obsticals a person may have that prohibit direct cognition .
This is true ritikala ji. But I tend to interpret things metaphorically rather than most traditional Hindus. But even still how can we possibly fathom the true form? The idols may contain the presence or energy or whatever one wishes to call it of the Nameless formless one, but they are still approximations. Anthromorphisised representations of what we think God looks like. Such a strategy is inherently designed to make things easier for humans. It's a lot easier for most human beings to fathom something human or human like than something abstract.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is true ritikala ji. But I tend to interpret things metaphorically rather than most traditional Hindus. But even still how can we possibly fathom the true form? The idols may contain the presence or energy or whatever one wishes to call it of the Nameless formless one, but they are still approximations. Anthromorphisised representations of what we think God looks like. Such a strategy is inherently designed to make things easier for humans. It's a lot easier for most human beings to fathom something human or human like than something abstract.
I endorse friend @SomeRandom that not only metaphors but all poetic tools might have been used in Veda.
But I don't endorse him on that idols or statues are metaphors and supported by the Veda scripture and are needed in the worship houses, these are nothing but distractions from Brahman. Brahman does not need them. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If one RigVedic poet does not like worship of idols, it does not make it necessary for all Hindus to stop worship idols, just as denial of existence of Gods or their rise after the production of the universe in one hymn does not make it necessary for all Hindus to deny God. While discussing Hinduism, drop your idiotic Islamic insistence on the word of scriptures. That does not apply here. We are not slaves either to Gods or to scriptures unless one chooses to be. People like me do not even accept the existence of God. Each Hindu will decide what he or she will do. Probably after generations of slavery you just do not know what freedom means.

"denial of existence of Gods or their rise after the production of the universe in one hymn does not make it necessary for all Hindus to deny God"

This lone verse (or some others) have been added in the Post-Veda period, in the Veda-Period it was not in the Veda, not at all. Please
Regards

Last edited: