• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Torah command that Adulterers be killed?

Beaudreaux

It is written in the Torah in Leviticus chapter 20 verse 10 (NIV):
10 " 'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."
It is clearly written and direct. Death is not described as an optional or maximum punishment for this crime. The Torah is not ambiguous about this in the least. The offenders "must be put to death."

My question is for Jews and Christians out there is this. Do you follow this commandment? If not, why not? Is there another authority you value higher than the Torah's written law? Perhaps Jewish case law or oral tradition?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It is clearly written and direct. Death is not described as an optional or maximum punishment for this crime. The Torah is not ambiguous about this in the least. The offenders "must be put to death."

My question is for Jews and Christians out there is this. Do you follow this commandment? If not, why not? Is there another authority you value higher than the Torah's written law? Perhaps Jewish case law or oral tradition?

This always threw me for a loop when I was a Christian. You couldn't have an extra-marital liaison but concubines were fine in the Old Testament.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Many people, mainly out of lack of further information and study of the topic of the Torah, fail to understand the intellectual nature of these commandments. for example, 'an eye for an eye' which has been taken out of context from here to eternity, does not mean in actuality killing another person in return for a murder, but a physical compensation by the offender of 'same' value.
the Jewish sages made it practically impossible to carry out a death sentence, the 'death penalty' as a commandment was a way to emphesize the seriousness of an offence.
we can also take example of the lack of practicallity of death penalties in ancinet times with the Hittites, although their laws 'demanded' the death of a killer, the true punishment was highly practical and logical in these days context, and it was for the offender to provide for the familty of the killed, killing the offender in Hittite eyes was an absurtidy, in the sense of eliminating capable working hands.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Many people, mainly out of lack of further information and study of the topic of the Torah, fail to understand the intellectual nature of these commandments. for example, 'an eye for an eye' which has been taken out of context from here to eternity, does not mean in actuality killing another person in return for a murder, but a physical compensation by the offender of 'same' value.
the Jewish sages made it practically impossible to carry out a death sentence, the 'death penalty' as a commandment was a way to emphesize the seriousness of an offence.
we can also take example of the lack of practicallity of death penalties in ancinet times with the Hittites, although their laws 'demanded' the death of a killer, the true punishment was highly practical and logical in these days context, and it was for the offender to provide for the familty of the killed, killing the offender in Hittite eyes was an absurtidy, in the sense of eliminating capable working hands.
So you are basically saying that the death penalty was merely an empty threat?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger

Very true. I believe it says in some Jewish writing that if a Jewish court put two people to death during it's 70 year term it was considered a bloody court.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The sages of the Talmud made it a bureaucratical impossibility for the death penalty to take place. using the death penalty as 'only on paper' is not uncommon through out the ancient world, as can also be seen in some of the most socially enhanced ancient Empires (see Hittite empire for example, and their rather creative codex..)

McBell

The sages of the Talmud made it a bureaucratical impossibility for the death penalty to take place. using the death penalty as 'only on paper' is not uncommon through out the ancient world, as can also be seen in some of the most socially enhanced ancient Empires (see Hittite empire for example, and their rather creative codex..)
lol
Okay.
So is that a "yes"?

McBell

My apologies if I do not find your beating around the bush very productive.
Are you able to give a clear "yes" or "no" answer to the question:
If not, then I shall un-subscribe from the thread and not further bother you.

linwood

No you see that part of the law is just umm...ceremonial..yeah, that`s it..it`s just ceremonial.
God didn`t really mean it.

:shrug:

Beaudreaux

Is it your position then that no one was stoned to death for committing adultery by the Jewish law? What about John 8? The Jewish leadership bring an adulteress to Jesus that they intend to stone to death because of this very law. Jesus tells them not to, but it sure seems like this wasn't the first time an adulterer has faced a stoning.....

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is it your position then that no one was stoned to death for committing adultery by the Jewish law? What about John 8? The Jewish leadership bring an adulteress to Jesus that they intend to stone to death because of this very law. Jesus tells them not to, but it sure seems like this wasn't the first time an adulterer has faced a stoning.....
I may be well read on the NT, but remember im both an Atheist and Jewish, so while I agree this may reflect real phenomenas in first century society, it can also be a mythological tale to illustrate the tolerant wisdom reflected by Jesus.
I feel compelled to note that in Jewish history, the sages made the 'capital punishment' a theoretical exercise rather than a physical method, and I feel that in order to get a better understanding of this, one has to look into this concept in the larger geography of the region, namely the ancient near east.
capital punishments were not a pragmatic tool to achieve social order, but a demagogic tool to dramatically pass on social ideas to the public, it can be reflected in the famous laws of Hammurabi, in the Hittite codices, and as seen in the rarety of executions in Jewish society. the mainstream Jewish values of sanctity of life are reflected in the lack of capital punishment in the modern state of Israel, there is only one case of exectuion in the 60 year history of the state of Israel, and that is the execution of Nazi war criminal Eichman.

Beaudreaux

I may be well read on the NT, but remember im both an Atheist and Jewish, so while I agree this may reflect real phenomenas in first century society, it can also be a mythological tale to illustrate the tolerant wisdom reflected by Jesus.
I feel compelled to note that in Jewish history, the sages made the 'capital punishment' a theoretical exercise rather than a physical method, and I feel that in order to get a better understanding of this, one has to look into this concept in the larger geography of the region, namely the ancient near east.
capital punishments were not a pragmatic tool to achieve social order, but a demagogic tool to dramatically pass on social ideas to the public, it can be reflected in the famous laws of Hammurabi, in the Hittite codices, and as seen in the rarety of executions in Jewish society. the mainstream Jewish values of sanctity of life are reflected in the lack of capital punishment in the modern state of Israel, there is only one case of exectuion in the 60 year history of the state of Israel, and that is the execution of Nazi war criminal Eichman.
I offer PROOF that Jewish stonings took place! YouTube - Stoning

Beaudreaux

Other recorded Jewish stonings:

The son of an Israelite woman and an Egyptian man, for cursing God (Leviticus 24:10-23)
A man who gathered wood on Shabbat (Numbers 15:32-36)
Achan (Joshua 7)
Adoniram, King Rehoboam's tax man (I Kings 12:18)
Naboth (I Kings 21)
Zechariah son of Berechiah, who denounced the people's disobedience to the commandments (II Chronicles 24:20-21, perhaps also Matt. 23:35)
Yeshu, a person mentioned in the Talmud as a sorcerer and an inciter to idolatry
Saint Stephen, sentenced for blasphemy (Acts 6:8-14Acts 7:58-60).
The Acts of the Apostles chapter 14:19 describes Apostle Paul stoned at Lystra at the instigation of Jews. He was left for dead, but then revived.
James the Just, in the year 62, after being condemned by the Sanhedrin.

kadzbiz

Y'know what I hate? It's when people choose which parts of the bible, the torah, or whatever, to take literally. If the Torah says "must", then I have simple solution for anyone contemplating adultery - go one more house beyond the neighbour's house!

Beaudreaux

Y'know what I hate? It's when people choose which parts of the bible, the torah, or whatever, to take literally. If the Torah says "must", then I have simple solution for anyone contemplating adultery - go one more house beyond the neighbour's house!
LOL! Frubals to you!

This reminds me of an article my wife and I read that said that 65% of fatal accidents occur in or within 300 yards of your home. Well, that's why we moved!

Last edited:

Beaudreaux

I felt its fair to say, in the case you thought im taking your examples as 100% real events, and not stories to illustrate social wisdom. and to make it clearer where im coming from.
No, no, no, no. I'm not saying "why are you saying that? I never asked!"

I'm saying "Oh, that sounds interesting and I forgot to ask you to tell me about it." If you wish :) I am curious about your world view.