• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Qur'an prohibit drinking alcohol

They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-

090-091
O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper. Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?

The question is, is there any profit from alcohol?

neves

"Islam views alcohol as a slippery slope and whilst one might recognise that profit mentioned in 2:219 might be a hint about possible health benefits from imbibing small amounts, the risk is that someone who intends to drink a small amount will end up drinking a large amount and make a mistake. It is potentially a terrible mistake, as it lets Shaytan get a head start on you. That is simply not worth it."

Why does Islam forbid alcohol? - by Anne Davey - Helium

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-

090-091
O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper. Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?

The question is, is there any profit from alcohol?

There isn't any profit in alcohol, excepting medicinal purposes, but there also isn't harm, provided you are moderate in your drinking.

As for the Qur'an prohibiting alcohol, no I wouldn't say it does in any clear way. The first verses you posted clearly suggest that there is a permissible amount one can spend on alcohol and gambling.

TJ73

Also, I think the way Allah revealed to the prophet was an indication of how we can expect to evolve in Islam now. Certain things, that were strong components of culture or difficult to change yet not going to kill you, were given time to adapt to.

gnostic

The Lost One
It has been revealed that drinking a glass (or two) during the main meal is beneficial for heart and circulation. In Sardinia, heart-attack is rare, statistically, despite their usual diet on cheese and pasta.

Moderation does no harm. So I don't see why anyone should be punished for drinking wine moderately.

TJ73

isn't that red wine? I could be wrong, but red fruits have anti inflammatory properties and therefore you could get the same benefits from juice as well. Alcohol produces acetate as a byproduct in the body( I have recently heard) so juice would be more beneficial, no?

gnostic

The Lost One
tj73 said:
isn't that red wine? I could be wrong, but red fruits have anti inflammatory properties and therefore you could get the same benefits from juice as well. Alcohol produces acetate as a byproduct in the body( I have recently heard) so juice would be more beneficial, no?

I don't know. I don't drink any alcohol, unless during a (champagne) toast in wedding or birthday. I don't know much about wine or other liquor.

I just remember seeing a news clip (some 5-7 years ago) about heart-disease were rare in Sardinia, because of moderate consumption of wine with their meal. They don't drink wine until they are drunk or incapacitated.

TJ73

Well, I wouldn't say they don't get drunk. Some do not and some do. that is the nature of addiction. It can sneak up on you at anytime.
When I was going to an Evangelical Christian church, i was told that Jesus,pbuh, specifically said to drink only "new" wine. that is basically grape juice that has not aged and fermented.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
TJ7 the reason I reject Jesus was speaking of grape juice is because in 1st century Judea fermented wine was often the only thing that could be drunk. The water in that time in Judea was very polluted and tainted and you couldn't drink it.

TJ73

TJ7 the reason I reject Jesus was speaking of grape juice is because in 1st century Judea fermented wine was often the only thing that could be drunk. The water in that time in Judea was very polluted and tainted and you couldn't drink it.
Very true. I was watching something the other night and they were talking about how people always drank beer because they realized they didn't get sick, like they did with water. They just didn't know they could avoid sickness by simply boiling the water. I also read the Mayflower stopped at Plymouth Rock, emergency style, because the ran out of beer.

tarekabdo12

Yes Islam totally prohibits wine. If you consider than moderate doses of alcohol don't cause harm, I say that this may be true. However, alcohol in larger doses is an extreme poison and as I'm a doctor I know a lot about it's effects. So Islam wanted to keep this probable poison away from Muslims at all. This could be done by totally prohibiting it. And if it wasn't totally prohibited, a great chance would be present for it's abuse and many Muslims probably won't be able to control themselves. Alcohol known to provide an initial increase in brain endorphins in small doses and this would probably push the drinker to more abuse where at larger doses it depresses the happy brain chemicals and decreases the brain functions.

abdulbasith

I think the rule is that whatever intoxicates you in large amounts is forbidden in small amounts. Apart from the health reasons, lets say alcohol was allowed in small amounts, sometimes a person might accidentally go over the limit and get drunk and this might lead him to cause a greater sin such as rape or murder etc, since he has no control over himself. Also if he is drunk he might have a car accident or something and kill and innocent person. So I guess that is also a reason why it is forbidden in small amounts as well.

Scimitar

Eschatologist
Is drinking alcohol permitted in Islam?

NO

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has cursed Khamr (intoxicants – alcohol, wine etc.), the one who drinks it, the one who pours it for others, the one who sells it, the one who buys it, the one who makes it, the one who it is made for, the one who carries it, the one who it is carried to and the one who consumes the money from its sale.”

[Sunan Abu Dawud – Classed as Sahih by Shaykh al-Albaani]

Commentary:

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansaab, and Al-Azlaam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaytaan’s (Satan’s) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful” [Al-Maa’idah 5:90]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Every intoxicant is Khamr, and every intoxicant is Haram (prohibited).” [Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Alcohol leads to many harmful things, and deserves to be called “the mother of all evils” – as it was described by the Prophet (peace be upon him), who said: “Alcohol is the mother of all evils.” [Classed as Hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 1854]

The curses surrounding Khamr (intoxicants – alcohol, wine etc.) mentioned in the above Hadith which we are discussing are 10 and the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) listed them in the following order:

1. He mentioned alcohol itself as a cursed creation of man as He (peace be upon him) said, “Allah has cursed alcohol”.
  2. Allah cursed the drinker of Alcohol. This also includes drugs in all its forms and varieties because the purpose is one: intoxication and causing failure to the functions of the brain. Whoever takes drugs, sells its pills and grass and other varieties is also cursed. Likewise the one who orders it, the one it is taken to, the trafficker, the distributor and the one who plans its distribution and the one who covers up for it and the rest of the drug ring are all cursed. This does not apply to prescribed medicines.
  3. Allah cursed the one who pours alcohol for others to drink whether it is guests or customers. This includes employees in reception centers, cafés, restaurants, bars, pubs and clubs.
  4. Allah cursed the seller. This is the person who owns the alcohol in this store, restaurant or club and sells it to others through the process of his business.
  5. The one who purchases alcohol is cursed. This is the person who buys alcohol for one reason or another, not necessarily for consumption: he may be restocking the shelves, buying it as a present or ‘doing his job’; all these people are cursed nonetheless.
  6. Allah has cursed the manufacturer. This includes every employee in the brewery or winery that produces alcohol in all its varieties whether from grapes, dates, whey or barley, whether it was light, lager, spirits or concentrated all of them are cursed.
  7. The ones who gets the alcohol made for him is also cursed, it may be a pre-order for an event, store, warehouse or household. Everyone involved in this arrangement is also cursed.
  8. Allah has also cursed the one who carries and transports alcohol. This includes international, national and local transportation from one country to another, one state to the other or from the brewery to the distributor. Included in this list are freight trucks, couriers and taxis that transport people or their alcohol or both.
  9. The one it is transported to. This is the person who is waiting for its arrival, he is also cursed.
  10. The one who consumes the money from its sale. This is the owner of the brewery or the bottle shop who sells it and profits from its sale. This can not only include individuals but entire companies and corporations. All their assets, employees and activities are cursed by Allah.
Dealing with Alcohol in all of its forms is one of the worst sins that a Muslim can commit, especially after they have heard of its prohibition and the curse it calls upon the drinker. If you consume alcohol and still pray, know that your prayer is not accepted for 40 days as the Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) informed us in a authentic Hadith related in the Sunan of Ibn Maajah, on the authority of Abdullah Ibn Umar (radi Allahu anhu):

“Whoever drinks alcohol and gets drunk Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 mornings. If he dies he will enter the hellfire and if he repents Allah will accept his repentance. If he returns to the sin, drinks and becomes drunk again, Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he dies he will enter the hellfire but if he repents Allah will accept his repentance. If he returns to the sin, drinks and becomes drunk again, Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days. If he dies he will enter the hellfire but if he repents Allah will accept his repentance. If he returns to the sin again, (the 4th time) it is a promise of Allah that he will feed him from ‘Rad-ghat-til Khabaal’ on the Day of Judgment. They asked the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), what is ‘Radghattil Khabaal’? He (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “(it is) the extracted juice of the people of the hellfire.”

“Allah will not accept his prayer for 40 days” means that he will not be rewarded for them (his prayer), but he is still obliged to pray; in fact he is obliged to do all the prayers. If he forsakes prayer during this time, he will be committing one of the worst of major sins, one which some of the scholars said amounts to kufr, meaning disbelief.

According to another hadith found in Sahih Bukhari and Muslim, the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Whoever does not repent from drinking (Khamr – intoxicants) in this world will be deprived from it in the hereafter.” the drink of the hereafter does not make one get drunk and is unlike anything in this world.

So - bottom line - NO MUSLIMS CANNOT DRINK ALCOHOL. PERIOD.

Scimi

mahasn ebn sawresho

Guide toProphet Muhammaddrank alcoholafter therevelationofthe Qur'an

Prophet Muhammaddrank alcoholafter therevelationthat
1. as stated in Saheeh Muslim, Omar Jaber bin Abdullah said: we were with the Messenger of God, sought rain (disease), a man said: o Messenger of Allaah, but we give to drink you wines said yes it came with a cup of wine in. .. The drink is the Messenger of God
2. According to Sahih Muslim from Ibn Abbas said: the Messenger of God renounces his Raisin in the pitcher, then drink it day and tomorrow and after tomorrow if the third evening drink and waiters
3. in musnad Ahmad Ibn Abbas said: the Messenger of God renounces him Monday night, drink it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to the times (three consecutive days)
4. the biography of Mike Mohamed biography, vol. 3, p. 459, it was a joke with the Prophet: mention including the Prophet was eases if the same does not help but eases laugh because he was mzaaha of them had shared in the wine and named Abdullah, nicknamed the vintner (meaning wine broker c 2 dictionary, p. 897 Wine Absinthe place of grape juice or palm leaves to germinate
5. the Prophet Muhammad leaving him three days and this long enough to ferment
6. in his book for the seeking support for Dr. Salahuddin, p. 29
The meaning of language and custom wine and Islam is alcohol
Sheikh Khalid says the soldier, for example, if you leave the cane one day turned into wine and the Prophet Mohammed was leaving the wine and drink it three days
Famaz your response on it with the names of books, page numbers not words only
And Amer

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey guys, how's it going?

How about you allow someone, that knows Arabic well, to give you good interpretation directly from the source? Someone that happened to be a well educated native Makkan Muslim too. Yours truly :D

Okay, consuming alcohol is actually forbidden in the Quran, but that came in three main stages. Why not just forbid it? Well, it is because alcohol was a delicacy and widely consumed by people. Forbidding it all of the sudden could be either difficult and/or not fare. I believe God knew this and didn't want to do it like so. He knows us better that we know ourselves, I believe, for He is our creator.

Lets start with those three stages. I'll only give rough translation in layman language referring to the chapter and the verse.

Stage one; an introduction to forbidding alcohol:
Quran verse 219 of chapter 2 (Al Baqara) or the "Cow" in English.
This verse simply says that alcohol is a great sin and it also has benefits. The benefit here is financial.

Stage two; partially forbidding alcohol:
Quran verse 43 of chapter 4 (AL Nisaa) or the "Women" in English.
This verse touches the emotions of Muslims from the devotion point of view. Muslims are know for their devotion specially in performing prayers, so this was the entry. The verse still does not completely forbid alcohol, it only forbids performing prayer while drunk. It tells to not perform prayer until the mind gets clear and we can comprehend what we are doing and saying.

Stage three; completely forbidding alcohol:
Quran verses 90-91 of chapter 5 (Al Ma'ida) or the "Table" in English.
These two verses say that alcohol (and some other things not related to alcohol) is a defilement whispered to us from the devil, so avoid it completely. The other verse compliments that and says that the devil wants to spread animosity and hatred between us. Well, drunk people to give us trouble, don't they? (that last sentence was my own).

That's about it. Please also keep in mind that forbidding alcohol here is for consumption for pleasure and diet, not forbidding its use for good. Using alcohol for medical reasons or for other necessities, like cleaning, is allowed.

Best regards,

Smart Guy

Harikrish

There is a good reason Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol. Muslims must pray 5 times a day. Imagine what can happen to an intoxicated Muslim kneeling with his backside raised and his forehead resting on the ground, all the blood and alcohol rushing to his brain. It can cause blackouts!!!

mahasn ebn sawresho

The humanmindhas
The knife can be used to kill a man and also can be used in cooking
And also wines if human soup frequently is a clear damage
But if drinking it within reason, not damage it
I personallylaaharmwine
But I listen in winter days because it gives me warmth
During family events
Because we have a mind and know how to use wine
I need God to tell me that
But the fact that wine is forbidden in Islam to Christians and Jews only offense

Because Mohammed was drinking wine during a certain period of his life also