• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Punctuation Go Before or After the End Quote?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard that American's put the end quote outside the punctuation, but those on the other side of the pond place the punctuation before. Example:

Who is "we?"

Who is "we"?

So...

Which is 'correct?' Or are both 'correct'?

How do you 'do it'?' o_O

Or more to the point, is @Rival, who lives in the UK, really smarter than @Sunstone who lives in the US? Or does @SalixIncendium just have a better fashion sense than both of them?

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
It depends on if the punctuation in question was originally part of the quoted material, and if I also intend to end my sentence using the same punctuation. However, I generally put my punctuation outside of the quotation marks as it's less confusing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Both can be correct. When the quotations end the sentence, it goes in. But if the punction doesn't match (such as asking a question but quoting a statement) then it goes outside.
When in doubt (with any grammar questions), Grammar Girl will be your best friend.

Ellen Brown

I've heard that American's put the end quote outside the punctuation, but those on the other side of the pond place the punctuation before. Example:

Who is "we?"

Who is "we"?

So...

How do you 'do it'?' o_O

Or more to the point, is @Rival, who lives in the UK, really smarter than @Sunstone who lives in the US? Or does @SalixIncendium just have a better fashion sense than both of them?

Every time I start to write something, I have to refresh my memory on issues like that. I bought one of those little plastic sheets with all that on it, but the print is too small. :(

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I was taught that the punctuation usually goes after the quotes.

And since doing otherwise would involve me learning something new, obviously
outside is the correct option.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Who is "we?"

Who is "we"?

So...

How do you 'do it'?' o_O

I aim it like a dart. "Ding....... "

Uh oh. I missed.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Who is "we?"

Who is "we"?

So...

How do you 'do it'?' o_O

Well, if you don't know, I am certainly not going to tell you...:confused:o_O:p:D:eek::rolleyes:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Actually, I don't think most Americans know the answer. I live here.
I agree. As a reporter and editor at a newspaper, we had a stylebook that explained the rules of punctuation, grammar, etc., that would be used in our newspaper. The AP Stylebook.

As a writer and editor for a state agency, we had a stylebook that explained the rules of punctuation, grammar, etc., that would be used in our publications, covering everything from letters to press releases to reports to the legislature, and so on. The director choose the Chicago Manual of Style, which was not exactly appropriate for most of the materials, but the director was a well-educated idiot...when that director left, the new director let me and my staff follow different style guidance for different publications...I spent many useless hours arguing with engineers about why writing a handout for public release should not be written according to the then-prevailing style of the major engineering publications; and the lawyers with lawyerese; and the biologists with biologyese; and the chemists with chemistese...but that instead all these arcane dialects should be translated into eighth-grade English, in short simple sentences, with a minimum of punctuation. We opted for punctuation inside the quotes because that was the accepted style of the state's public relations apparatus...except in documents being written for publication in journals devoted to particular subjects, such as chemistry, where the rules established by the particular journal were used...

Goodman John

I dont' see, punctuation as 'being' a problem its instead spelling being a issue for people."

As an example, let's look at the word 'school'. Not a very exciting word, but you'd probably be shocked to learn just how many people put the second 'o' before the first one. It's S-C-H-O-O-L, not S-C-H-O-O-L.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Who is "we?"

Who is "we"?

So...

How do you 'do it'?' o_O

American here:

While there are exceptions, the punctuation generally goes inside quotes and outside parentheses.