• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the davinci code theory affect Christ's divinity?

Read the thread

• Yes it affects his Divinity

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • No it does not

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Im not a Christian

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
SoyLeche said:
Do you have any evidence that Mary Magdelene was a former prostitute? It's widely believed, but is there anything to back that up?

Well if she wasn't I could then believe that he had children with that woman.

It is very much possible to bridge the line between fiction and nonfiction. primary Colors was a work of fiction, but talked about real things involving the Democrats. The Da Vinci Code is a piece of fiction about someone discovering something believed by a Christian mystery school. This kind of reality based fiction can be a good learning tool, as Jurassic Park was great for those of us that wanted to learn about Dinosaurs and DNA, and possible dystopias when they may be combined.

Science fiction isn't always about possible futures with aliens. The technical specs of military equipment used in Tom Clancy's books are very scientific and real, although the stories in which they are brought up are works of phantasie, even though he may be telling us something with the storylines created....characters based on real people abounding.

SoyLeche

meh...
Buttercup said:
He says something about the organizations being real....The Priory of Sion is not. And his depictions of Opus Dei are not correct either. Hmmm. I don't have the book anymore so that's all I can think of at the moment.
That's what they WANT you to think :eek:

How could a human theory possibly affect the nature of God? God remains the same forever regardless of what we think of Him.

FerventGodSeeker

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
If you find any information on them I would be very interested in seeing it. :)

Don’t you get it?!? The very fact that you have never heard of them proves that they are a “secret” organization.

Wouldn’t be much of a secret if we had evidence now would it?

lautir palshisf lainomerec terces eht -->:tuna:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Ramacharaka said:
Well if she wasn't I could then believe that he had children with that woman...
... The Da Vinci Code is a piece of fiction about someone discovering something believed by a Christian mystery school.
Just to clarify, Gnostics didn't ever write anything about Jesus having offspring.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ramacharaka said:
i'm pretty sure that the contraversy around this is about Mary magdelene being a reformed prostitute, as she probably was, a hooker with the same name as his mother, a good thing to forgive like it came out of some heretic around town or whatever.
She was NOT a prostitute. She was a mystic teacher (priestess). Magdelene is a title. There is absoultely no record of her in the Bible as being a hooker. The only writings or "evidence" that she was came from the early Catholic church some hundred years later.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
fantôme profane said:
Wouldn’t be much of a secret if we had evidence now would it?

Ahhhh, you have to have some kind of evidence...even if it is a secret organizaton.

I did not research this for a great length of time but I did search online extensively and through some local university library sources that I had access to. I could not find any information that described The Priory of Sion the way that Dan Brown did in the book. The name was similar to some organization...but the description was not. I would still be interested to find out more though. Maybe with the movie just coming out it will renew the interest of some people to do more searching.

lautir palshisf lainomerec terces eht

Ody

FerventGodSeeker said:
How could a human theory possibly affect the nature of God? God remains the same forever regardless of what we think of Him.

FerventGodSeeker

Unless he/she/it is a figment of our imagination ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
SoyLeche said:
Do you have any evidence that Mary Magdelene was a former prostitute? It's widely believed, but is there anything to back that up?

The idea came from a declaration of Pope Gregory centuries after the fact.

I would suggest asking JamesthePersian for the view of Mary Magdalene in the Orthodox Church.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
He says something about the organizations being real....The Priory of Sion is not. And his depictions of Opus Dei are not correct either. Hmmm. I don't have the book anymore so that's all I can think of at the moment.

No, his depiction of Opus Dei isn't correct. But I'm not sure Opus Dei's depictions of Opus Dei are quite correct either. Have you checked out this site? I know it's not the most objective source of info to use ex-members for info, but using only the organization itself isn't exactly balanced either.

www.odan.org

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
If you find any information on them I would be very interested in seeing it. :)

60 Minutes did a piece on the Priory of Sion, but I can't remember when that was. The documents are fakes, they said.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oh, and just to get back to the OP :eek: while I'm not a Christian, I don't think Christ's divinity would be at all ruined if he were properly married to Mary Magdalene.

If he was gettin' some on the side, that would be another matter.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Halcyon said:
The Gospel of Mary also says that Jesus loved her more than other women.

The Gospel of Philip describes her as his "companion", read what you will into that.

Personally, Jesus could have been a pimp and it would not affect Christ's divinity for me.

Of course your quoting from the gnostic gospels which were not canonized and rejected by the church fathers due to their volitity and the absence of the diety of Christ.as well many other reasons.
It threatens those who profess to be Christian because of their ignorance of the scriptures and the history of the church eg: Counci Of Nicea and Constatine ,Gnostic Gospels,but in fact are they that question and doubt true Christians in the first place is the real question.

Mystic-als

I think that the book/movie had a big impact on people because now they were confronted with something that wasn't sold in the bookshop at church. Maybe this was a chance to think for themselves and not be dictated to by the elite few who God speaks/through to.
If Jesus had SEX (yes I said it. Jesus and sex in the same sentance) then he might have been tested in all things like the bible says, if not he's a lier. If he was suposidly 100% man and 100% god then the 100% man part definitly wanted to get busy. But maybe, just maybe he waited to get married first. In so doing the "right" thing and not sinning.

Melody

Even if the davinci code theory was correct, it would not affect the divinity of Christ in any way. I don't believe it is correct. God was born of a human woman and came to us in human form for a specific purpose...and it wasn't to live the life of an ordinary man. It strikes me that only an irresponsible man would take on the care of a wife and children when he knew that his life would be spent in in traveling (on foot no less) to spread God's Word, while laying the foundation for his own death and resurrection. I would never call Jesus an irresponsible man.

evearael

I am not a Christian, and I do not believe that whether or not Jesus had a wife and potentially children should have any bearing on whether or not someone believes in Christianity.

Fluffy

A fool
As far as I am aware, most of the negative Christian reaction directed towards the DaVinci Code is due to the book's (and to a lesser extent the film's) rather poor depiction of Christianity. The single concept of Christ having married and had children is not one which I think many Christians are offended about. The problem is the accusation of conspiracy and the various things done in the name of that conspiracy. Also the general intellectual dishonest that the theory (and the work of fiction) relies upon in order to reach its conclusions.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
First of all, the ideas presented in The DaVinci Code are not Dan Brown's, so calling anything from that book a DaVinci Code Theory is inaccurate. All of the information concerning the Priory of Sion, the Dossirs Secrets, Roslin Chapel, or anything else in the book for that matter was presented to the public around 20 years ago in the form of a non-fiction book titled Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

As for the divinity of Jesus, the only information that Dan Brown offers about Jesus's divinity is that it was voted on by the Council of Nicaea, and that at the time not every Christian was in agreement that he was in fact of the same "substance" as God. Is there anyone who would say that he is erroneous in the presentation of that information? Since it seems everyone on this forum loves Wiki so much, I'll provide their link http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea.