• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible Permit Women to Lead, Teach, Preach or Speak?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
were are speaking of Adam
I realize that, but are we talking about "Adam" the metaphoric, mythological origin of humanity, or "Adam" an actual, literal first person created by an actual, literal god?

I ask because the first possibility implies that it's the overall message of the story that's important, not the niddly details (e.g. the exact phrasing God uses in his curses)... like the way that the point of a fable is the moral, not the specifics of what sort of animals were used to express it. Meanwhile, the second possibility implies that it's just a historical account and we don't necessarily need to try to derive a message for our own lives from it.

Adam was cursed because he followed lead

instead of leading

If God told you to lead anything, would YOU be found in the back?
That depends what sort of god was asking.

OnPower

Genesis 3:16: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

"he shall rule over thee"

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Genesis 3:16: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Uh huh. And nowhere does he say, "I forbid you to make this condition better."

In other words, and to repeat, the other curses we seem to ignore. The ground work is less toiling thanks to technology, childbirth can be painfree thanks to medicine, and men ruling over women can be resolved by education, or you know, logic.

OnPower

In other words, and to repeat, the other curses we seem to ignore. The ground work is less toiling thanks to technology, childbirth can be painfree thanks to medicine, and men ruling over women can be resolved by education, or you know, logic.

MORE to the point

Nowhere does the bible tell us that this has need to change

Thank You ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

So? Can you expand a bit more?

Are you saying that this actually happened? If so, why do you think it means anything more than "the literal person Adam was placed in charge of the literal person Eve"? If not, then there's wiggle-room for interpretation.

Basically, either way you look at it, you're going to have to do some serious justification if you're going to argue that there's a lesson in there that modern people should apply to their own lives.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I've got a side business building prosthetic legs for snakes. :D

OnPower

who is at the head of (all) women?

I Corinthians 11:3: But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Don't be offended, rejoice
You have a position

Amen

Songbird

MORE to the point

Nowhere does the bible tell us that this has need to change

Thank You ;)

Okay. If I infer correctly, you are saying that's how things should be?

If you are this literal, do you farm every food by hand that you eat?

OnPower

I Corinthians 14:34: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

OnPower

hmmmmmmmmm!

Isaiah 3:16: Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

OnPower

i can just imagine that this is WAY above (most) peoples head but the man is going to judge the woman

Isaiah 4:1: And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

OnPower

Isaiah 4:1: And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

seven women will be begging one man, bringing her own food, clothes, etc
only let them be married to this man to take away the reproach placed on them by Eve

Praise the Lord

Last edited by a moderator:

Songbird

seven women will be begging one man, bringing her own food, clothes, etc
only let them be married to this man to take away the reproach placed on them by Eve

Praise the Lord

Okay, I'll be watching for that day. In the meantime, I'll enjoy life without this kind of condemnation.

Last edited by a moderator:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I see that you have all forgotten a pertinent scripture

"rule over thee"

Just Sayin

You're right. It may not be part of some modern day Jewish cultures, but it is scriptural.

OnPower

to "rule over" and to disrespect are 2 different things.

Perhaps songbird has a misconception?

Scripture also says that when a man marries a woman, he begins a possession

Still- not a means for disrespect