• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does sex have a purpose?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think at least two arguments have been presented (regarding the immorality of lust). The first: lust leads to suffering, therefore lust is morally wrong. The second: the moral purpose of sex is procreation; lust is not motivated by procreation; therefore lust is morally wrong. What do you make of those arguments?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
perhaps. it reminds me of a joke. why do you think the human race could have lasted for soo long? cuz men can run faster than women. hahahahaha. really, i dont think the first humans knew that sex lead to life, it was more lust than anything.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
perhaps. it reminds me of a joke. why do you think the human race could have lasted for soo long? cuz men can run faster than women. hahahahaha. really, i dont think the first humans knew that sex lead to life, it was more lust than anything.

anders

I don't think sex has a "purpose". Whose purpose would it be?

The reason sufficiently many individuals practice sex for their species to survive is a simple case of natural selection. Those feeling that the act is enjoyable, procreate; those who don't like it will become extinct.

linwood

Sunstone said:
I think at least two arguments have been presented (regarding the immorality of lust). The first: lust leads to suffering, therefore lust is morally wrong. The second: the moral purpose of sex is procreation; lust is not motivated by procreation; therefore lust is morally wrong. What do you make of those arguments?

I don`t see a defensable argument anywhere in there.

The only one I see that could be defensable is that lust leads to suffering but it would have to be proven that this is so.
Considering I`m a self proclaimed "Lust Expert" I can tell you that lust leads to far less suffering than love.

The moral purpose is procreation?
Again..why is it immoral if you have sex for pleasure?
Is a backrub immoral?
Can you only morally participate in a backrub if it`s only to sooth pain or can You participate just for the pleasure of it?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
from a biological standpoint sex introduces a random element in genetics and procreation. Without sex the only way to reproduce would be to bud or split off identical copies of ourselves and that limits genetic change and individuality.

sex certenly sound more fun at any rate ;)

From my religious standpoint sex was a gift from creator for us to enjoy. There was nothing immoral about having sex in fact, you have a better chance of not getting pregnant most of the time than you do getting pregnant. If getting pregnant was so easy than there wouldn't be such a large fertility aid industry. Also children were viewed as gifts and treasures not burdens by my people so getting pregnant wasn't a shameful thing but a joyous occasion.

suffering comes from man's ignorance as far as I'm concerned. Too much worrying about what is and isn't immoral about others behavior and not enough living your own life in a pleasant and contented way.

wa:do

Pah

Uber all member
Another thought on pleasure - we all know that the clitoris is not connected to procreation and neither is the responsive male nipple.

Maybe it was a good design after all

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
Gerani1248 said:
there are some males out there in this vast universe that can produce milk. wonderful.

If that was a response to my post "responsive male nipple", I meant a sexuaL response, hehehe. It is purely non-procreative and only gives pleasure especially when it erects.

-pah-

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"If that was a response to my post "responsive male nipple", I meant a sexuaL response, hehehe. It is purely non-procreative and only gives pleasure especially when it erects."

yes, ive heard about that. mine doesnt react to anything. dumb useless vestigal thing...