• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Robin look and act girlish? What do YOU think about Robin?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
There was a Lassie episode from the 1950's. A Brit boy, named Robin, visited America in the little farm town of Calverton and was a guest at the Martin farm. One country boy on a bicycle asks another if the Brit boy was a girl. He was wearing "skinny" black shorts that were down to about the knees. His hair was still short like a boy's though. Circa 1959.

Please go to time mark 8:25 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9H...ature=youtu.be

Does the Brit boy look girlish to you? English boys are a lot more polished in manners than their American counterparts.
They seem very learned and verbose at a younger age too.

The whole point of this thread is that what is considered masculine or feminine may vary among cultures. Evidently, American farm boys
in days of old thought shorts not manly somehow. I wonder what they'd think of Scotsmen in kilts if they saw them. And Japanese fellows
in kimonos.

Nah, that’s just British snootiness.

Jonathan Bailey

Nah, that’s just British snootiness.

Apparently, British snootiness comes across to many Americans as unmacho. My grandfather also said the Brits were sissy-like and said there was a lot of goofy stuff over in England. Many older British women come across to me as having a mannish face especially the horse/equestrian types.

The bad Brit teeth makes them look ugly and witch-like as well.

Jonathan Bailey

I've seen these guys there in Athens. They don't play! They'll kick your behind (and, thankfully, I am not talking from experience).

Your boy in your avatar has a goofy-looking spike in the middle of his head. My mother also said that hair parted in the middle looks like a girl.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently, British snootiness comes across to many Americans as unmacho. My grandfather also said the Brits were sissy-like and said there was a lot of goofy stuff over in England. Many older British women come across to me as having a mannish face especially the horse/equestrian types.

We actually have better teeth than most Americans.

Cooky

Veteran Member
There was a Lassie episode from the 1950's. A Brit boy, named Robin, visited America in the little farm town of Calverton and was a guest at the Martin farm. One country boy on a bicycle asks another if the Brit boy was a girl. He was wearing "skinny" black shorts that were down to about the knees. His hair was still short like a boy's though. Circa 1959.

Please go to time mark 8:25 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9H...ature=youtu.be

Does the Brit boy look girlish to you? English boys are a lot more polished in manners than their American counterparts.
They seem very learned and verbose at a younger age too.

The whole point of this thread is that what is considered masculine or feminine may vary among cultures. Evidently, American farm boys
in days of old thought shorts not manly somehow. I wonder what they'd think of Scotsmen in kilts if they saw them. And Japanese fellows
in kimonos.

Indeed. The following picture is John of Austria, the commander who defeated the Ottomans at the battle of Lepanto.

One might ask, how could a fierce leader who commanded an army in war wear pink tights for a portrait?

Yet, we have much to thank him for.
220px-Don_Juan_d'Austria_1.JPG.jpg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Mate, the Simpsons were just joking when they pulled out the “big book of British smiles” lol they’re not really like that.
You Americans need to get out more and actually interact with the world instead of relying on hyperbolic cartoon stereotypes

Shad

Veteran Member
Evidently, American farm boys
in days of old thought shorts not manly somehow.

That wasn't the point of the episode. The boys were jealous of Robin as he was getting attention from class and friends. Due to their jealousy they attacked Robin for different reasons. Robin tries to act more "American" but is told to be himself. The two boys were setup for a "redemption" story arc. Watch the whole episode.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That wasn't the point of the episode. The boys were jealous of Robin as he was getting attention from class and friends. Due to their jealousy they attacked Robin for different reasons. Robin tries to act more "American" but is told to be himself. The two boys were setup for a "redemption" story arc. Watch the whole episode.

"What's that, Lassie? Timmy's becoming enlightened..."

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member

Stereotype much?