• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Robin look and act girlish? What do YOU think about Robin?

Jonathan Bailey

There was a Lassie episode from the 1950's. A Brit boy, named Robin, visited America in the little farm town of Calverton and was a guest at the Martin farm. One country boy on a bicycle asks another if the Brit boy was a girl. He was wearing "skinny" black shorts that were down to about the knees. His hair was still short like a boy's though. Circa 1959.

Please go to time mark 8:25 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9H...ature=youtu.be

Does the Brit boy look girlish to you? English boys are a lot more polished in manners than their American counterparts.
They seem very learned and verbose at a younger age too.

The whole point of this thread is that what is considered masculine or feminine may vary among cultures. Evidently, American farm boys
in days of old thought shorts not manly somehow. I wonder what they'd think of Scotsmen in kilts if they saw them. And Japanese fellows
in kimonos.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
You have a strong interest in men. It's alright.

We just don't need to keep hearing about it.

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

You seem to have a strong interest in men. It's alright.

We just don't need to keep hearing about it.

Misunderstood....I'm just wondering why Robin might be thought of as "a girl" at first impressions.

No, I don't like to look at girlish men or boys.

Personally, I would never mistake Robin in the video for a girl but yes, there's something odd and different
from the ways and clothing of most Americas. Robin is portrayed as a foreigner. He is certainly not wearing
a pony tail or a dress.

Robin has a proper boy's hairstyle and that's the dead giveaway, clothes notwithstanding.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There was a Lassie episode from the 1950's. A Brit boy, named Robin, visited America in the little farm town of Calverton and was a guest at the Martin farm. One country boy on a bicycle asks another if the Brit boy was a girl. He was wearing "skinny" black shorts that were down to about the knees. His hair was still short like a boy's though. Circa 1959.

Please go to time mark 8:25 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9H...ature=youtu.be

Does the Brit boy look girlish to you? English boys are a lot more polished in manners than their American counterparts.

The whole point of this thread is that what is considered masculine or feminine may vary among cultures. Evidently, American farm boys
in days of old thought shorts not manly somehow. I wonder what they'd think of Scotsmen in kilts if they saw them. And Japanese fellows
in kimonos.
Or these chaps at Syntagma Square:

syntagma-square-athens-greek-evzones-greece-changing-guard-front-parliament-builging-35128950.jpg

I always thought they looked silly until I went there and saw them in person. They are over 6ft tall, bloody strong-looking and very serious. They scrape their shoes on the ground, like horses, as part of the sentry routine and you can hear the rasping of metal studs or something against the pavement.

But the bobbles on the shoes, it has to be said, really don't do them any favours........

Nimos

Isn't it just suppose to be an old school insult?

One thing that strikes me though, is how natural their dialog is, doesn't feel scripted AT ALL!! :D

Terry Sampson

Off topic, I'm sure, but ...

Many, many years ago a Brit came to the U.S. on holiday, rented a car, and traveled through Oklahoma, and some other states.
He stopped at a Diner for a meal. When the waitress came to him, he gave her his order. After she passed the order to the cook, she stopped by his table again and, since the Diner was almost empty, she engaged him in conversation. Finally, she asked him: "Where ya from?" "Great Britain," he replied. "Where's that?" she asked. "Across the Atlantic Ocean, near France," he replied. "Innerestin'," she said. "You speak English purty good for a furiner."

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
British men aren't really my thing, so more for him, I guess.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Or these chaps at Syntagma Square:

syntagma-square-athens-greek-evzones-greece-changing-guard-front-parliament-builging-35128950.jpg

I always thought they looked silly until I went there and saw them in person. They are over 6ft tall, bloody strong-looking and very serious. They scrape their shoes on the ground, like horses, as part of the sentry routine and you can hear the rasping of metal studs or something against the pavement.

But the bobbles on the shoes, it has to be said, really don't do them any favours........

I've seen these guys there in Athens. They don't play! They'll kick your behind (and, thankfully, I am not talking from experience).

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife was a public school teacher for 25 years: grade levels varied over the years ... from Kindergarden to 3rd grade, nothing higher.
One of the quickest ways to arouse her wrath was to use "girl" as an insult.
It doesn't actually bother me that much.

Terry Sampson

My wife had six brothers and three sisters; she was the 7th oldest, the scrawniest of the bunch, ... and the most fearless by everyone's account.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife had six brothers and three sisters; she was the 7th oldest, the scrawniest of the bunch, ... and the most fearless by everyone's account.
Awesome. I had two step-sisters and I was the tomboy. I try to be feminine but I'm sure everyone knows by now I'm a queer boy at heart :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Awesome. I had two step-sisters and I was the tomboy. I try to be feminine but I'm sure everyone knows by now I'm a queer boy at heart :p

Not queer surely???

Tom boy?, I had my nose broken playing rugby.