• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Religion Alter or Destroy the Human Spirit?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do religions alter or destroy the human spirit? If people were free of religion would they excel more, accomplish more, achieve more, and be happier? Why or why not?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I can do both destroy and manufacture...excel and end...make you happy or sad.

It all depends on the person. However, I do believe that if one follows certain religions to its ultimate end, happiness will be the result.

I don't believe no religion can even compete in this regard.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Do religions alter or destroy the human spirit? If people were free of religion would they excel more, accomplish more, achieve more, and be happier? Why or why not?

I think it can do both really. It all depends on the person I believe. I don't know if we were free of religion would we excel more or not. Maybe or maybe not. Sunstone, you know my example I like to us, the Japanese are still vary religious over there, and look how far they are in stuff. Maybe it depends on the religion too?

cardero

Citizen Mod
If we are talking about organized religion, I wouldn’t say it destroys human spirit but it certainly intercepts and can impede the relationship between human and spirit. With a human go-between (prophet, religious leader, teacher) dictating physical behavior and spiritual speculation, religion can ground and create a huge obstacle to overcome.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Religion is an idea. Only people(including yourself) can harm you or alter you. Let's say this- thoughts can't hurt you but actions can, and sometimes a thought can become an action- but never without someone to go through with the idea.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think religion can release the human spirit. Behind religion is experience. I think Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad were trying to transmit what they had experienced. I read that the mythologist Kerenyi likened myth to music. In music art of the composer and sound are fused and are one. In myth the maker and his images arenfused to make the myth. I have heard that myth is experienced rather than made, I think that's right. I believe that some experiences, i.e. experiences of the absolute, can only be expressed in myth.
Religion understood as myth I believe can free the human spirit. Turned into dogma and commandment I believe it can trap the soul.

Smoke

Done here.
Do religions alter or destroy the human spirit?
Both. ;)

Seriously, it depends on the religion and what one makes of it. Islam has Rumi and Osama; Christianity has Dorothy Day and Torquemada.

If people were free of religion would they excel more, accomplish more, achieve more, and be happier? Why or why not?
Possibly, because:

(1) Religion is divisive; the Abrahamic religions are especially divisive and prone to violence.

(2) Organized religion tends to be obsessed with and -- when successful -- corrupted by power and privilege.

(3) Thinking you already know the truth closes you off to evidence and the potential for learning and growth -- as in the case of geocentrists, creationists, et al.

(4) If there is a god, there's a good chance that the divine mystery is too great to be described by religious teaching, and if that's the case, then religious teaching is almost necessarily false.

(5) Religion undermines morality. As Russell said, clergymen condemn acts which cause no harm, and condone acts which cause great harm.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Do religions alter or destroy the human spirit?
It is not religion per se, but certainly false teachers of religion can and do cause the innocent to stumble.

Whilst one is reminded of Mathew 23:13, "But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.", these hypocrites are prevalent in most religious institutions.

If people were free of religion would they excel more, accomplish more, achieve more, and be happier? Why or why not?

For some, by freeing themselves from the influence of man appointed religious intermediaries (hypocrites), and through going into their own 'heart', discover truly indeed the kingdom is within and 'flower', but this has little to do with a priority for, or an agenda concerning their personal achievement and happiness in this world.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Man's spirit is already in a lost, depraved and desolate state,violence ,greed, lust,strife,murder,immorality, covetousness...the list goes on.
Man's spirit is searching for truth,purpose, contentment and happiness in the things that gradify the carnal desires of the flesh
One need only look on the horizon of history to see the things mankind are doing to fill that void.
Mind you there are hundreds of religions out there that attempt to alter and free the human spirit, it's up to the individual to find the truth of the one that will liberate them.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms

I think it depends on the person, but I do believe that overall religion has a negative impact on the human spirit.

Yes, I believe we could acheive so much more if we were free of its dividing, and dumbing nature.

Yes, I believe more people would become happier without being told that things they enjoy are 'sinful', without the need to punish themselves for 'impure' thoughts (which are entirely a natural phenomenom), and without the inherent bigotry that most religions teach.

Religion is a ball and chain. It restricts freewill and it divides.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Religion is a label. Its only a way to describe what the path to god would be according to that religion.

If anybody finds the god of their religion, it cannot in any way alter their human spirit in a negative way, and certainly cannot destroy it.

If god is life, and god is love, then which ever path leads to him will lead to liberation.

The commandment in the bible...is to love the lord your god. Because it is called a commandment people think that god is a restricter of freedom, wanting us to follow set rules. But if you think about it. The commandment to love is the only true way to freedom. If god commands us to love..then he is commanding us to be become free. That doesnt sound like a bad alteration or a method to destroy.

Perhaps the only thing that god wishes to destroy is the idea that we know what is best for us, outside of his council. How then does the creation think it knows better than the creator? It doesnt. History has proven it...and yet...as humanity strives for freedom from god...all it has been able to do...is find itself in chains of disrepair.

heneni

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think it depends on the person, but I do believe that overall religion has a negative impact on the human spirit.

Yes, I believe we could acheive so much more if we were free of its dividing, and dumbing nature.

Yes, I believe more people would become happier without being told that things they enjoy are 'sinful', without the need to punish themselves for 'impure' thoughts (which are entirely a natural phenomenom), and without the inherent bigotry that most religions teach.

Religion is a ball and chain. It restricts freewill and it divides.
You're not a fan of classical music, are you?

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
You're not a fan of classical music, are you?

Just because some great music has been influenced by religion doesn't mean the same composers wouldn't have written equally great music based on nature, or whatever else drove them... Maybe something worth driving toward rather than pointless adoration of fictional deities.

My point was also that OVERALL I believe it to hold us back... there are always exceptions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Just because some great music has been influenced by religion doesn't mean the same composers wouldn't have written equally great music based on nature, or whatever else drove them... Maybe something worth driving toward rather than pointless adoration of fictional deities.
Ah, but that's not the question. The question is whether religion destroys or inhibits the human spirit. If it did, it would not inspire such works.

My point was also that OVERALL I believe it to hold us back... there are always exceptions.
And what is that opinion based on?

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Ah, but that's not the question. The question is whether religion destroys or inhibits the human spirit. If it did, it would not inspire such works.
As I said there are exceptions. Some people react to really terrible occurences in their lives in a very positive way. Some of the best popular music has been from people writing after a break-up, or worse...

And what is that opinion based on?
[/QUOTE]
The obvious divisive effect. The obvious effect that having the 'crutch' of an afterlife, and the answers to unanswerable questions it must bring.
Again, there are always exceptions. I am talking generally, on average.

Jeremiah

"Do religions alter or destroy the human spirit?"

I am surprised by your question here. I could point out many posts within RF that demonstrate how religion has twisted a person's common sense and warped sensible morality. I have seen religion confuse and bewilder the reasonable minded and make a madman out of the weaker minds. If you don't think that is the case simply do a search for homosexuality. People turn the most mundane of issues into ridiculously proportioned philosophical conquests over a few words written thousands of years ago by some nut job. The question is not if religion alters or destroys the human spirit because it obviously does both. The questions is does the bad out weigh the good? And/or does the means justify the end?

"If people were free of religion would they excel more, accomplish more, achieve more, and be happier? Why or why not?"

A very good question and one I don't have an answer for.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

I think it depends on the particular religion and how it's applied. In some cases it can totally destroy rational and independent thought, cause one to wallow in denial, willful ignorance and self-deceit, to live in a cocoon of hatred and fear, totally mute empathy and understanding, and instill a loathing for humanity and life.

Last edited: