• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Jesus's sacrafice work from a jewish perspective?

Lorgar-Aurelian

Does the idea of Jesus sacrificing himself make sense from a jewish theological perspective? I personally don't think the idea of a god man sacrificing himself to himself for things he put in us himself makes no sense but that that is beside the point. Can a man die for another man's or indeed the sins of all ?
Why or why not?

rosends

No, it doesn't. While there are certain situations in which Judaism believes that a death can lead others to achieving forgiveness, that is always through their own repentance as triggered by the death of a righteous person. The death of one person doesn't absolve others of sin.

If you would like a review of the sources about this, I go through them here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No, it doesn't. While there are certain situations in which Judaism believes that a death can lead others to achieving forgiveness, that is always through their own repentance as triggered by the death of a righteous person. The death of one person doesn't absolve others of sin.

If you would like a review of the sources about this, I go through them here.
Then there's the interesting (curious?) case of the cities of refuge and the death of the High Priest).

rosends

Then there's the interesting (curious?) case of the cities of refuge and the death of the High Priest).
I w2as thinking about that, but since the sin wasn't the killer's, the death doesn't atone for that sin. I heard that the sin was on the priest himself (something deficient in his service which allowed an accidental death on his watch) so his death is connected to his own actions.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I w2as thinking about that, but since the sin wasn't the killer's, the death doesn't atone for that sin. I heard that the sin was on the priest himself (something deficient in his service which allowed an accidental death on his watch) so his death is connected to his own actions.
Certainly the person has been 'saved' from future confinement. I don't put much stock in the "the-High-Priest-must-have-screwed-up" argument. I think it was either Plaut or Sarna who speaks of blood atoning for blood.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Does the idea of Jesus sacrificing himself make sense from a jewish theological perspective? I personally don't think the idea of a god man sacrificing himself to himself for things he put in us himself makes no sense but that that is beside the point. Can a man die for another man's or indeed the sins of all ?
Why or why not?
As strange as the idea is we have to acknowledge the fact that this mythology came from Jews. Jesus was a Jew, and his followers were Jews. Paul was a Jew. The people who wrote the Gospels were all Jews. And somehow this made sense from their perspective.

I will add that it is my opinion (fwiw) that those early Jewish followers of Jesus did not see him as "God" sacrificing himself to himself. The idea of Jesus being the same as God developed later.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Why or why not?

The Hebrew originally had Human Sacrifice.

There are many books and articles on this subject.

However, it became absolutely forbidden, and an animal took the human place, some also add the cut foreskin into this. A blood offering.

So Jesus as a Jew, if we take the story, - would have been breaking the Law, and doing so in a now very forbidden pagan way.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Yes ... yes ... maybe ... perhaps some ... think Hellenization.
Yes, understood. I don't want to portray the Jewish culture as monolithic, even (or especially) the Jewish culture of that time. That is something to keep in mind when we try to discuss "the Jewish perspective".

omega2xx

Why or why not?

You have to accept the symbolism---Jesus was the Passover lamb---behold the Lamb of God,---For Christ our Passover has also been sacrificed(I Cor 5:6).

The Leviical system taught that man did not have to die for his sins, a substitute would be provided. All of the blood sacrifices point to Jesus in some way. Especially needing to be without blemish,

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When Paul covered the concept, I'm more inclined to believe he meant it symbolically and in what we might call an exaggerated way, especially since it met none of the prescribed standards for animal sacrifice, and human sacrifices certainly were not allowed. On top of that, if one were to believe that Jesus was God, then logically how could God be sacrificed to God?

OTOH, in a purely symbolic way, it could make sense.

roger1440

I do stuff
Why or why not?
The woman with the seven sons may have been part of the inspiration for the story.
Woman with seven sons - Wikipedia