• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matters what spiritual teaching we follow

DNB

Christian
Indeed, and moreover, only one can be completely true! Out of the 10,000 religions that there have been in human history, how likely is yours to be the one? Of course, a far more likely alternative is that they are all false.
Theists outnumber the atheists by a landslide majority. Therefore, the more likely conclusion is that men are on to something, but that there is a narrow path to find the absolute truth.

Daniel Nicholson

Blasphemous Pryme
Theists outnumber the atheists by a landslide majority. Therefore, the more likely conclusion is that men are on to something, but that there is a narrow path to find the absolute truth.
The majority of people thought the sun orbited the earth before the 1500s; majority does not make something true.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Indeed, and moreover, only one can be completely true! Out of the 10,000 religions that there have been in human history, how likely is yours to be the one? Of course, a far more likely alternative is that they are all false.
Why can only one be 100% true? Where is your evidence for your claim?

Viker

Häxan
Popularity amounts to nothing.

Viker

Häxan
Look, this is the Interfaith section. We could go on and on. No point. It doesn't matter which thing to follow. Just follow something or nothing. If you screw up, recognize your mistake and move forward. Look ahead. Look both ways. Occasionally, look over your shoulder.

There is no need for a **** waving contest here.

DNB

Christian
The majority of people thought the sun orbited the earth before the 1500s; majority does not make something true.
Yes, it does. You didn't catch the point. I said that they were on to something. As much as the fallacious beliefs of the medieval period, are very tell-tale of the implicit authority of the Church, and the deluded sentiments of the Papacy.
If the overwhelming majority of men are seeking out spiritual issues, realms and beings, then this fact presupposes man's spiritual nature. And thus, a source behind that nature which cannot be stardust or protoplasm.

Viker

Häxan
Yes, it does, it amounts to something. Obviously.
What? I mean, soon most of these theists are likely to be Islamic. So does Islam win bragging rights? I don't get how something widely accepted makes it absolutely correct.

DNB

Christian
What? I mean, soon most of these theists are likely to be Islamic. So does Islam win bragging rights? I don't get how something widely accepted makes it absolutely correct.
I didn't say absolutely correct, I implied that it points to something that is real, at a minimum, inside man's innate disposition.

nPeace

Veteran Member
According to your own faith, 99.99% of all-time religions are wrong. I'm just saying, that is pretty close to 100%.
I think the story of Jesus is derivative fiction written decades after the alleged events took place, so quoting the bible in defense of the bible to me is just using lies to defend lies.
You have to look at other resources, not just scriptures, to see that things are changing.
Things are changing for sure... and not for the better. Just look at today's youth. It's baffling some as to why todays youth are so "out of control".
To some, the answer is simple.
Going away from instilling good values to no values, or whatever we think, has not helped, has it.
I'm not sure if that's what you meant by 'things are changing', but other resources don't all point away from the Bible. They point to it.
For example, by this time next year, this list would have grown.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Things are changing for sure... and not for the better. Just look at today's youth. It's baffling some as to why todays youth are so "out of control".
Simple only if you are looking at some select few, and perhaps from one country. I don't see youth as being 'out of control' in my country - the UK. They adapt to the times in which they live (as all generations do), and as for many, they live in very changeable times and have had to deal with the internet, mobile phones, and social media - all of which have their issues and largely brought about by lack of controls due to corporate profit-making rather than much else. So I'd not blame the users so much as those who are in charge and/or making profit from the users.

Daniel Nicholson

Blasphemous Pryme
Going away from instilling good values to no values, or whatever we think, has not helped, has it.
I'm not sure if that's what you meant by 'things are changing', but other resources don't all point away from the Bible. They point to it.
For example, by this time next year, this list would have grown.
Youth from secular countries (Scandinavian countries, Australia, and Canada) are respecting values derived from contemporary sources. I live in Canada, and in the last few years we have seen huge improvements, for example to sexual rights through the #metoo and LGBTQ movements. These countries are also all top 10 in the wellbeing index. The US, coming in at number 10, has seen a decrease in christian faith over the last few years.
I'm curious, what morals and values are you referring to in the bible?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Youth from secular countries (Scandinavian countries, Australia, and Canada) are respecting values derived from contemporary sources. I live in Canada, and in the last few years we have seen huge improvements, for example to sexual rights through the #metoo and LGBTQ movements. These countries are also all top 10 in the wellbeing index. The US, coming in at number 10, has seen a decrease in christian faith over the last few years.
I'm curious, what morals and values are you referring to in the bible?
As one example, sexual promiscuity is rampant among the very young. It did not start there. Adults are the teachers.
The Bible's values on sexual immorality, is helping youth as well as adults, to live chaste lives.
The domino effect from promiscuous sex is far reaching.

A broken family can negatively affect all domains of your child’s development. The effects of a broken family on a child’s development depend on numerous factors, including the age of the child at the time of parents’ separation, and on the personality and family relationships. Although infants and young children may experience few negative developmental effects, older children and teenagers may experience some problems in their social, emotional and educational functioning.

People living by the Bible's moral code on sex create a better environment.
Some may not know how the Bible have played a role in shaping societies.
They think because a person does not use the Bible very often, the Bible's values have totally left the person, but that is not the case.
This is true, even of Atheist who left religion.

(1 Corinthians 7:2) . . .because of the prevalence of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife and each woman have her own husband.
(1 Corinthians 6:9-11) 9 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

Daniel Nicholson

Blasphemous Pryme
As one example, sexual promiscuity is rampant among the very young. It did not start there. Adults are the teachers.
The Bible's values on sexual immorality, is helping youth as well as adults, to live chaste lives.
The domino effect from promiscuous sex is far reaching.

A broken family can negatively affect all domains of your child’s development. The effects of a broken family on a child’s development depend on numerous factors, including the age of the child at the time of parents’ separation, and on the personality and family relationships. Although infants and young children may experience few negative developmental effects, older children and teenagers may experience some problems in their social, emotional and educational functioning.

People living by the Bible's moral code on sex create a better environment.
Some may not know how the Bible have played a role in shaping societies.
They think because a person does not use the Bible very often, the Bible's values have totally left the person, but that is not the case.
This is true, even of Atheist who left religion.

(1 Corinthians 7:2) . . .because of the prevalence of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife and each woman have her own husband.
(1 Corinthians 6:9-11) 9 Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean; you have been sanctified; you have been declared righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.

Studies have shown that sex is extremely beneficial to our health.
As for extramarital sex, that is immoral because it's often accompanied with dishonesty/ lying/ deceit, selfishness, disrespect... etc. It isn't wrong just

Daniel Nicholson

Blasphemous Pryme
... because God says so. And by extramarital sex I mean cheating.
I think it is immoral to lump homosexuals in with "thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revelers, and extortionists".
Breaking a family, I.e. divorces, are indeed detrimental to children, but atheists have a lower divorce rate than Christians and many other religions.