• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matters what spiritual teaching we follow

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Honestly, does it matter what religious beliefs or spiritual teaching we follow?
Isn't the "goal" the same or very similar? So should we care if someone is a buddhist, Hindu, Christian, muslim or any other religious believer?
Maybe it is more important to spiritually just look at our own being?

Should it matter if someone does not believe or even refuse to hold any belief in spiritual teaching?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Honestly, does it matter what religious beliefs or spiritual teaching we follow?
Isn't the "goal" the same or very similar? So should we care if someone is a buddhist, Hindu, Christian, muslim or any other religious believer?

Should it matter if someone does not believe or even refuse to hold any belief in spiritual teaching?

Well the end goals might be similar, but the path to get there is the issue between religions.

Everybody wants peace I imagine, but some think we should look inside ourselves and reject the material to attain that, while others say that their way is right and that all non believers should die.

So, as usual, it depends on how the religion physically or mentally affects people and the environment in the real world.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

It seems that you have similar posts where you reframe your concerns in a different way. Is there anything valuable that you have learnt from other posters regarding this topic, especially concerning that yes we must concern ourselves with others spirituality?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well the end goals might be similar, but the path to get there is the issue between religions.

Everybody wants peace I imagine, but some think we should look inside ourselves and reject the material to attain that, while others say that their way is right and that all non believers should die.

So, as usual, it depends on how the religion physically or mentally affects people and the environment in the real world.
Can it be that those who holds a belief that others must die because of different beliefs, has a problem with their own ego?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It seems that you have similar posts where you reframe your concerns in a different way. Is there anything valuable that you have learnt from other posters regarding this topic, especially concerning that yes we must concern ourselves with others spirituality?
Absolutely:)

I have realized that if I think I am better than those who bullied me, I am the one who get burned over and over again.

Letting go of what others believe or disbelieve and focus more inward to solve my own issues must always be the focus.
I can not, and should not keep "challenging" others just because.....

If I am not content with my own belief it is only on me. And other people will always find a way to challenge my personal belief, something I must accept and embraces.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Can it be that those who holds a belief that others must die because of different beliefs, has a problem with their own ego?

Yes, that is the case, but their specific religions feed on that ego. It could be said that the religion nurtures that ego by saying that its adherents are the only special ones and that everybody else is wrong. This is especially true of the Abrahamic religions and their texts, that is why Christianity and Islam are converting religions. These religions are tribalistic and destructive.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Absolutely:)

I have realized that if I think I am better than those who bullied me, I am the one who get burned over and over again.

Letting go of what others believe or disbelieve and focus more inward to solve my own issues must always be the focus.
I can not, and should not keep "challenging" others just because.....

If I am not content with my own belief it is only on me. And other people will always find a way to challenge my personal belief, something I must accept and embraces.

Interestingly enough, this is sort of the conclusion that I have come to as well, except when it comes to real world effects of belief. Challenging others and being challenged expanded my mind when it comes to knowledge of what viewpoints are out there but that didn't help me grow as a person. What I had to do was take what I have learnt and reflect on it and inwardly see what I agree with or not. Because other peoples beliefs are only their opinion after all. We must develop our own opinions and not be like children who depend on others views.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Interestingly enough, this is sort of the conclusion that I have come to as well, except when it comes to real world effects of belief. Challenging others and being challenged expanded my mind when it comes to knowledge of what viewpoints are out there but that didn't help me grow as a person. What I had to do was take what I have learnt and reflect on it and inwardly see what I agree with or not. Because other peoples beliefs are only their opinion after all. We must develop our own opinions and not be like children who depend on others views.
Well, I found parts in my practice i lacked understand of :) so the "fault" was always within my self, not because of others...

muhammad_isa

..not on an individual basis.
..but when we consider what a nation's culture is based on, it makes a lot of difference.
Religious belief determines way of life, and hence the future of civilisation.

One shouldn't force their beliefs/creeds on others, but one shouldn't be indifferent to the plight of others either.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
..not on an individual basis.
..but when we consider what a nation's culture is based on, it makes a lot of difference.
Religious belief determines way of life, and hence the future of civilisation.

One shouldn't force their beliefs/creeds on others, but one shouldn't be indifferent to the plight of others either.
Spiritual belief is personal:) and how a country is govern should be mixed with Spiritual practice :) IMHO

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Spiritual belief is personal:) and how a country is govern should be mixed with Spiritual practice :) IMHO
Interestingly enough, I think that the idea of Spiritual belief being personal is a recent concept in the world. For millenniums spiritual belief shaped civilisations, as @muhammad_isa has said, and it structured everything in a civilisation. Take for instance the Babylonians whose religion explained the order of society. The separation of belief and everything else in life apparently developed from the protestants.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Interestingly enough, I think that the idea of Spiritual belief being personal is a recent concept in the world. For millenniums spiritual belief shaped civilisations, as @muhammad_isa has said, and it structured everything in a civilisation. Take for instance the Babylonians whose religion explained the order of society. The separation of belief and everything else in life apparently developed from the protestants.
My understanding is a bit different:)
I believe spiritual practice started as a personal quest for awakening but when powerful men saw what spiritual practice can do, they incorporated in to everyday life and even politics ( then spiritual awakening cant happen)

muhammad_isa

I believe spiritual practice started as a personal quest for awakening but when powerful men saw what spiritual practice can do, they incorporated in to everyday life and even politics ( then spiritual awakening cant happen)
What do you mean by "spiritual practice"?

Most societies have a system of law.
Nations are shaped by the people in them.
Somebody has to take responsibility for a society's welfare.
Problems arise when people are more interested in themselves than others.
Overall, it still remains true, that a nation won't change unless it's people change.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What do you mean by "spiritual practice"?

Most societies have a system of law.
Nations are shaped by the people in them.
Somebody has to take responsibility for a society's welfare.
Problems arise when people are more interested in themselves than others.
Overall, it still remains true, that a nation won't change unless it's people change.
The practice is the transformation from physical being to realizing one are a spiritual being/conscious

PureX

Veteran Member

What we think can effect how we behave. And how we behave matters to everyone.

Unfortunately, we cannot control what anyone thinks, or how they behave. We can only guard ourselves against the harmful behavior of others, and against harmful behaviors toward others, by us. How we do that is only relevant in relation to how effective our methodology is.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

There are several versions of what matters.
How the common everyday world as such including how the non-human parts work.
How we socially get along.
How we individual do what matters as individuals.