• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it matter what we believe if we don’t love one another ?

nPeace

Veteran Member
That is the answer. Because there are so many religions and sects within religions. Each sect has their own interpretation of what is true. How can I trust any of them? I don't require anything from any of them. If I told you that I require something specific, I'm sure you and several others, that held different views, would provide it. The Baha'is are a great example. They'll provide me with their interpretations of Bible verses and quote me some things from their prophet. It all will sound believable. I fell for it once, but now I'm too skeptical of them and Christians. There's nothing I need from people. And people's religion and Scriptures are still from people. They all talk of Gods and God and will tell me how true and accurate those Scriptures are. Sorry, I don't trust them. So, it would have to be something beyond what people say and believe and beyond the books they write that talk about God. And I'm sure you believe you have that something the is beyond... something that is supernatural. But again, everybody thinks they have that something that is "beond".
Maybe the Bahais would chime in, but I was not about to offer you anything. I already know what you have your mind made up on. I spoke to you before, remember, and I was direct about it what I came to realize about you CG.

I just wanted to know if there was anything at all in the writings that you would accept or consider worthy of trust, where the prophets, Jesus and his apostles were concerned, but you answered the question, even though not directly.

So basically, you, and not any book; not any teacher; not anyone... but you, will get you to God... if there is a god... and if there is a God, and you are wrong... Oh well

I'm smiling, because that tells me everything I needed to hear from you, since it was my assessment.
Did I accurately summarize it?

I'm happy when people come outright about their position. For example, one telling me that they prefer their law, rather than any God, or supreme ruler, is good for me, because they don't try to keep that fact hidden, and at the same time try to give the impression that they are looking / searching.

That's something I noticed is different with the Bible. The honesty of those writers is clearly evident, and amazes me.

I should say that I know the confusion is real, with so many thousands of difference conflicting religions and teachings.
To Atheists, this is evidence God has nothing to do with religion. From previous posts you made, that appears to be your view. Correct me if I am wrong.
To others, it's evidence the Devil is real, and the scriptures are true.
To me, the latter is true, and I know the confusion does not prevent those with honest, humble, hearts from finding God. I also know the confusion adds to manifesting of those who are opposite.

That's not offering you anything CG. It's just something I though I'd share.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I'm happy when people come outright about their position. For example, one telling me that they prefer their law, rather than any God, or supreme ruler, is good for me, because they don't try to keep that fact hidden, and at the same time try to give the impression that they are looking / searching.
Every religion has laws that they say came from their God. But it's always people saying what those laws are. How many of those people, in the various religions, were right about those laws coming from God?

And we all know where many Christians are coming from... That if it doesn't agree with how they interpret the Bible, it is false. For me, there is no direct, conclusive answer to Christianity or for the Baha'i Faith. One might be right... both might be wrong... Or somewhere in between. One thing I'm pretty sure of is not one religious person can follow all of the supposed laws of their Gods. So, how different, or how much worse am I, for doing those same things but not believing that God had a law against people doing those things? I would think it would be worse for the Christian who keeps breaking the same laws that they believe are God's laws.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Every religion has laws that they say came from their God. But it's always people saying what those laws are. How many of those people, in the various religions, were right about those laws coming from God?

And we all know where many Christians are coming from... That if it doesn't agree with how they interpret the Bible, it is false. For me, there is no direct, conclusive answer to Christianity or for the Baha'i Faith. One might be right... both might be wrong... Or somewhere in between. One thing I'm pretty sure of is not one religious person can follow all of the supposed laws of their Gods. So, how different, or how much worse am I, for doing those same things but not believing that God had a law against people doing those things? I would think it would be worse for the Christian who keeps breaking the same laws that they believe are God's laws.
You feel sure CG. You are not sure.
All I am seeing here CG, is cocksureness - the same seen in the Atheists who try to fool themselves in the same manner.

Of course, you will say the same about me, when I say I am sure that the son of God continues to lead his people on earth as promised - Matthew 28:20, and the good news of God's kingdom is being preached as a witness, as he declares it would - Matthew 24:14, and that he will destroy all who do not obey that good news - 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9

Whether I choose to accept it, or not, there is truth. Some persons have it, and they know they have it.
It doesn't matter that many claim to have it. That's a given. That doesn't annul the above fact.
Those who don't know are just lost, and humility would move them to admit it.
That's not going to happen for the most part.
It's already written. Matthew 7:13-14

74x12

Does your religion have true love and unity and do the people really care for each other or is it just a ‘church on Sunday’ religion?

Is it that God comes first, then prayer, then rituals, then meditation, then preaching, then meetings but people are not on the list anywhere? Could this be a reason religion has been abandoned, because people don’t feel loved anymore?
People need to find love in God. People are fickle and failing. They may love you today and hate you tomorrow. But God's love never fails.

ppp

People need to find love in God. People are fickle and failing. They may love you today and hate you tomorrow. But God's love never fails.
I have never had the experience of someone loving me one day, then hating me the next.

And the people who love me demonstrate that love in tangible ways.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have never had the experience of someone loving me one day, then hating me the next.

And the people who love me demonstrate that love in tangible ways.
Lucky you that you never had to deal with bipolar people.

ppp

Lucky you that you never had to deal with bipolar people.
I have. And I see what you mean. I just don't consider those emotion swings to be about me. I just happen to be in the vicinity.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I know that Christians believe that God punishes some of his people, has some of them even killed, but that it is out of "love". But are you sure it is out of love and that God is just as fickle as people? His love seems to be dependent on how well his people obey his every command.

74x12

I know that Christians believe that God punishes some of his people, has some of them even killed, but that it is out of "love". But are you sure it is out of love and that God is just as fickle as people? His love seems to be dependent on how well his people obey his every command.
What about surviving a storm? Do you just not prepare if you know a hurricane is coming? Is that a good survival plan?

I think people should understand God in that light. He really is unchanging. He's constant like a natural law. Like gravity or physics.

You say God punishes those who disobey; but nature does the same. Nature itself teaches us that this is how it is. If we hate nature then it still doesn't change. It is what it is. If we don't get ready for the hurricane then who will we blame? Why would God who made all this be any less dangerous? If these are but small things to him then he's really to be feared.

Yet, if we pray and seek his face now then we'll find his love is great and constant.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What about surviving a storm? Do you just not prepare if you know a hurricane is coming? Is that a good survival plan?

I think people should understand God in that light. He really is unchanging. He's constant like a natural law. Like gravity or physics.

You say God punishes those who disobey; but nature does the same. Nature itself teaches us that this is how it is. If we hate nature then it still doesn't change. It is what it is. If we don't get ready for the hurricane then who will we blame? Why would God who made all this be any less dangerous? If these are but small things to him then he's really to be feared.

Yet, if we pray and seek his face now then we'll find his love is great and constant.
That's great that you have that strong of faith in your beliefs. But there are people in every religion that have that kind of faith in their God. But it's not the same God they are believing in as the God you believe in. Even within Christianity, a Catholic or a Pentecostal has a different belief in what God can and will do for them.

One of the more extreme Christian beliefs are the snake handlers. They can be full of faith that God loves them and will protect them, but lots of them still get bitten. Is that a sensible belief to hold? I don't know. They point to one verse in Mark where Jesus himself says that his followers will be able to pick up serpents. Are they being too literal? Maybe, but they are sure putting their faith on the line every time they pick up a rattlesnake. So, I do believe all religious people have to be sensible too. And I give one big plus to the Baha'is for this one... Religion without science, or using your brains sometimes, can lead people to become superstitious with the religious things they believe. But then even they, believe in an invisible, unknowable God.

But God being like a "natural" law. That's fine with me. But is the God of the Bible really that constant? Like he says to stone the adulterer but he let's King David slide on that? Then later, with Jesus, what happened to all those laws? Anyway, it is great that you can believe in your God the way you do.