• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Matter? 2 - open for debate, all welcome

tomspug

Absorbant
So, it does matter to you whether or not your god is more than a concept or idea?
Yes. It does matter. That is why it is so important not to rely on God-concepts and ideas. This isn't an atheist topic, mball. It's about the importance of our IDEAS and CONCEPTS of God, whether or not we need them. And we don't need them, that's what I'm saying.

Fluffy

A fool
Yes there is a very big difference. The second option has real value, meaning and utility which can be used and enhanced by humanity. The first option is smoke and mirrors.

I believe that religion will eventually evolve to the latter state and that this is definitely a good thing.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes. It does matter. That is why it is so important not to rely on God-concepts and ideas. This isn't an atheist topic, mball. It's about the importance of our IDEAS and CONCEPTS of God, whether or not we need them. And we don't need them, that's what I'm saying.
I don't know what you mean by "atheist topic," but the question posed to you was whether your God would have value as "merely" a concept, and you haven't answered it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes there is a very big difference. The second option has real value, meaning and utility which can be used and enhanced by humanity. The first option is smoke and mirrors.

I believe that religion will eventually evolve to the latter state and that this is definitely a good thing.
So you have greater repsect for believers in thought forms than actual entities?

Fluffy

A fool
Storm said:
So you have greater repsect for believers in thought forms than actual entities?
I don't think I have a greater respect for them but I do think that this is the most proper and meaningful place for religion. I think that the alternative is to commit to a God who is forever in the gaps and, consequently, greatly devalue one's theism. Of course I have no problem with either form of theism but I believe that the latter's doom is inevitable.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't know what you mean by "atheist topic," but the question posed to you was whether your God would have value as "merely" a concept, and you haven't answered it.

I think he did answer when he said that it does matter to him that his God is more than a concept or idea.

Frankly, I don't know what he means by "atheist topic" either. It seems like an attempt to exclude me from the conversation, maybe because he doesn't like my ideas on it. Of course, I assumed that the "open for debate, all welcome" in the title would allow my comments, too.:rolleyes: (And, for the record, I know that's why you said it, that's not a reflection on you, but on him :))

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think concepts have just as much usefulness as realities do.

The concept of justice keeps us striving for it in society.
If god is merely a concept one can hope that it encourages us to strive for perfection within ourselves.

wa:do