• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it bother you when I write ''Xian'', instead of ''Christian"?

Does, ''Xian'', instead of writing ''Christian'', bother you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't like it. I know some people can give fancy reasons for why it is used but I know there are some people that use it as a statement that they don't believe in Christ. Even if I am not a Christian, I will always say 'Christian' out of respect.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If enuf people find it insulting, RF might even include it with other banned words.
(Note: The banned word function isn't working with this new platform.)
Why do you find it insulting?

There are words that I am sure "when used as an insult" are not banned on RF. Probably the reason Xtian isnt banned is it is not a curse word. As you see in the poll, the use of it and why depends on the person; hence, not a reason for banning. I personally dont care for Xtian and Xmas. If I were Jew, I would not care for people using God. If I were Muslim, I may be alittle unerved that other people dont give God the honor when mentioning His name. Yet, these are Personal beliefs. It only applies to me.

If I were Christian, I would be proud tonuse that full name. I will not abbrv. Christ for convinence sake. When I was practicing Catholic, I called myself Catholic not Christian (focusing on word usage). Saying I was a Christian meant I believed in Christ. Saying I am Catholic meant I am a part of Christ's Body. I dont just use the word as a title. That title defined my relationship with Christ.

Likewise with the word Christian. If I were not Catholic and identify as Christian, like above, it would not be any word but a word that describes that I have a relationship with Christ.

To bleep out Christ's name would be a insult. It would devalue the title I identify as.

Think of it as your personal name or family name. If your name was, I dont know, Jane Doe you would like someone to call you by your name. Especially if you have a personal connection with the name given to you. Even more so a family name. Unless you gave permission, it may unnerve you for someone else to refer to you and your family by a name that is not written or said as your family would.

It is very personal. Many christians disatach themselves from christian. Some say they dont want to be associated with religion.

If one wants to use a abbr. for Christ, maybe using thr latin name would make more sense. We already do not use Jehovah when referi g to God. What more of an annoyance to abbr christian to refer to a follower of Christ.

I dont care for it. Not everyone agree AND thats okay.

Popcorn

What is it?
Do you play video games on a Christ-box? Do you watch old reruns of the Christ-files? The truth is out there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are words that I am sure "when used as an insult" are not banned on RF. Probably the reason Xtian isnt banned is it is not a curse word. As you see in the poll, the use of it and why depends on the person; hence, not a reason for banning. I personally dont care for Xtian and Xmas. If I were Jew, I would not care for people using God. If I were Muslim, I may be alittle unerved that other people dont give God the honor when mentioning His name. Yet, these are Personal beliefs. It only applies to me.

If I were Christian, I would be proud tonuse that full name. I will not abbrv. Christ for convinence sake. When I was practicing Catholic, I called myself Catholic not Christian (focusing on word usage). Saying I was a Christian meant I believed in Christ. Saying I am Catholic meant I am a part of Christ's Body. I dont just use the word as a title. That title defined my relationship with Christ.

Likewise with the word Christian. If I were not Catholic and identify as Christian, like above, it would not be any word but a word that describes that I have a relationship with Christ.

To bleep out Christ's name would be a insult. It would devalue the title I identify as.

Think of it as your personal name or family name. If your name was, I dont know, Jane Doe you would like someone to call you by your name. Especially if you have a personal connection with the name given to you. Even more so a family name. Unless you gave permission, it may unnerve you for someone else to refer to you and your family by a name that is not written or said as your family would.

It is very personal. Many christians disatach themselves from christian. Some say they dont want to be associated with religion.

If one wants to use a abbr. for Christ, maybe using thr latin name would make more sense. We already do not use Jehovah when referi g to God. What more of an annoyance to abbr christian to refer to a follower of Christ.

I dont care for it. Not everyone agree AND thats okay.
I think that so long as intent is generally neutral, words which might offend some (eg, Xian, God, Xmas) will remain in popular use. I object when these proper names are uncapitalized, but that's just my pedantry. What I oppose is using terms as a pejorative to dis an entire grouip, eg, "redneck", "cracker", "boot lip", "gook", "Hebe".
Btw, you get a frubie for clarity & completeness.

Popcorn

What is it?
Does Christ mark the spot on a pirate's map?
(I just had to say that.)

I don't know.

Every letter of the alphabet has meaning unto itself that goes beyond mere pronunciation. You might say that each letter has an angel to witness it, so while it's no big deal to use an X as an abbreviation, to me it reads something like X=C+H+R+I+S+T, and I'm not sure it that's accurate, or that the meaning of the letter X is become changed, or that the order of the alphabet needs to be reviewed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you read the link the Rev provided? Clearly, ''X'' is traditional, for Christ. I'm merely wondering why it bothers you, if I use that. I also don't know why you would be saying that I should use the latin, as, as an extended religious paradigm, my association is the Greek Church, 'among others, not the latin church/s/.
Not you personally.

Please read 17 and 22.

Its my personal preference. One, the X in latin put as a prefix of tian seems incorrect formally. Its latin and english mixed. Maybe a abbrv would be Xtoc or Xtus? At least both are latin and it makes more sense.

I dont like sycronizm when it comes to expression of faith. I feel it devalues the original intent of the word or belief (in this case name) written. But look throuh the convo rev and i had. Those last comments are my opinion. Not centered at anyone else.

EDIT here are some clips of my view next post

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you read the link the Rev provided? Clearly, ''X'' is traditional, for Christ. I'm merely wondering why it bothers you, if I use that. I also don't know why you would be saying that I should use the latin, as, as an extended religious paradigm, my association is the Greek Church, 'among others, not the latin church/s/.

My views. Also post 17.

With Christ, if anything, instead of blending Christ name in latin and english, Id just call Him Christus. If you want to get technical, you can call Him Χριστόc

That, and its not Xtian. Thats English and latin syncrenism. Its Xριστόc or Christus. Taking the X out and puting it with English ending "tian", is odd. Plus, the letter X is not Christ. So, that and Xmas does not make sense. Maybe Xtus or Xtoc is more appropriate abreviation? I dont know

I find it unnecessary in general. Why "wouldnt" a Christian want to use the word Christ? Maybe Christoc would be a good and interesting as an abbreviation too

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know.

Every letter of the alphabet has meaning unto itself that goes beyond mere pronunciation. You might say that each letter has an angel to witness it, so while it's no big deal to use an X as an abbreviation, to me it reads something like X=C+H+R+I+S+T, and I'm not sure it that's accurate, or that the meaning of the letter X is become changed, or that the order of the alphabet needs to be reviewed.
Language is an unruly beast.
We can try to impose rules, but people's gonna do what people's gonna do.

Popcorn

What is it?
Language is an unruly beast.
We can try to impose rules, but people's gonna do what people's gonna do.

That makes sense. And somebody said that Libertarian systems don't work, yet here we are. Go figure. It's not our fault that we're attempting to communicate with an alphabet that wasn't invented for the English language, it was imposed upon us, and it's so taken for granted that no one ever realizes just how counterintuitive it is. Had we insisted upon the futhorc, everything would be so much easier to understand. At least I think so.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where are you getting the 'k' and "ch" sounds from? :p
Now that you ask.....it occurs to me that English is not a terribly phonetic language.

It reminds me of an old auto industry joke....
How do you pronounce "Daimler Chrysler"?
"Dime' lerr".
The last part is silent in German.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
We have to take Xian back to its roots, which is from the Greek... So it is pronounced.......
When writing the name "Christ," it is quite common to abbreviate it to X or x, representing the first letter (chi) of the Greek XPICTOC khristos. For example, "xmas" is a common abbreviation of "Christmas." "Xian" just means "Christian."

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the use of the abbreviation "xian" or "xtian" for "Christian" dates back at least as far as 1634. Before that, it was more usual to take the first two letters of XPICTOC, and write "xpian" for "Christian." Priests would record Christenings using the shorthand "xpen" or "xpn."
Chi-an? :confused:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Since this is a General section, I'd share my view.

I'm Muslims and I don't mind being called Moslem in writing, but it does give me that strange feeling. I prefer to not be called that, but I wouldn't mind it and have a thing against who say it for simply saying it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
OK, vote whether it bothers you, there has been some criticism of this, on the forums.

Have a nice day!

//disciple
No, not particularly. For one thing, "Christ" (meaning Messiah) is just a title, not a name.

I usually try to play it safe: I will refuse to use a term if someone tells me they find it offensive or upsetting. I don't think we all need to do that, however, it's just what I do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since this is a General section, I'd share my view.
I'm Muslims and I don't mind being called Moslem in writing, but it does give me that strange feeling. I prefer to not be called that, but I wouldn't mind it and have a thing against who say it for simply saying it.
My brother-in-law from Iran prefers "Moslem".
But I never asked him about "Xian".
(He isn't one.)