• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does Hinduism provide that?

Wannabe Yogi

We try to be polite to each other in this community and usually don't call other peoples comments moronic and dysfunctional.

Good point. I have been here since 2009. I have found that those who learn to play nice with their friends may stay around. Others leave. I had to learn not to throw sand on the playground. At times I still need to be reminded.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
assalam alaykum islam abdullah :namaste,

hello every body.

so, i'd like to ask in Hinduism, when your soul is close and there's a lot of troubles you are facing, and you really feel that no refuge and no way for your problems and troubles to be solved what you do?

this is a very poinient question which every religious practitioner regardless of his faith , faces at some time in their life . and it is at times like these that we needto feel the presence of god more than any other , and it is also the time that we find it the hardest to trust and rely upon god .

personaly I think this test is the same for any hindu as it is for a muslim or christian .

this is the time when we cry out for god to show himself and reknew our faith , to allow us to feel close to god and under his shelter .

when i'm facing that indeed i just pray to Allah and asking him to support me and not to let me alone in that trouble, maybe i cried but usually i feel better after that conversation and in many cases my requests were answered, could Hinduism provide that? or what you are doing ?
yes , we are doing just the same , there is a very beautifull verse in the bhagavad gita
BG 9.18: I am the goal, the sustainer, the master, the witness, the abode, the refuge, and the most dear friend. I am the creation and the annihilation, the basis of everything, the resting place and the eternal seed.
BG 9.22: But those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion, meditating on My transcendental form -- to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they have.
BG 9.23: Those who are devotees of other gods and who worship them with faith actually worship only Me, O son of kunti,
but they do so in a wrong way.

please egnore the last words
but they do so in a wrong way. this is comonly missunderstood to mean that other sacts or religions are worshiping in the wrong way , this is not so , and is the cause of much greif .

we all cry when we feel helpless , some cry to rama some to shiva , to krsna , and to the lord by many other names as each is a manifestation of the one supreme .

and yes equaly as your prayers are answered by allah , ours are answerd by parameshwara (the supreme lord ; god).

to me there is no difference in which name we use when we pray or how we visualise god , the difference comes in our motivation to pray , do we pray for our own personal benifit or do we pray for mankind ?

shantih prayer

ॐ स॒ह ना॑ववतु । स॒ह नौ॑ भुनक्तु । स॒ह वी॒र्यं॑ करवावहै । ते॒ज॒स्वि ना॒वधी॑तमस्तु॒ मा वि॑द्विषा॒वहै॑ ॥ ॐ शान्ति॒ः शान्ति॒ः शान्ति॑ः ॥

Om ! May He protect us both together; may He nourish us both together; May we work conjointly with great energy, May our study be vigorous and effective; May we not mutually dispute (or may we not hate any). Om ! Let there be Peace in me ! Let there be Peace in my environment ! Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

om shantih shantih shantih

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

to all sanatana dharmi brothers and sisters ,

may we please remember

shantih prayer

ॐ स॒ह ना॑ववतु । स॒ह नौ॑ भुनक्तु । स॒ह वी॒र्यं॑ करवावहै । ते॒ज॒स्वि ना॒वधी॑तमस्तु॒ मा वि॑द्विषा॒वहै॑ ॥ ॐ शान्ति॒ः शान्ति॒ः शान्ति॑ः ॥

Om ! May He protect us both together; may He nourish us both together; May we work conjointly with great energy, May our study be vigorous and effective;May we not mutually dispute (or may we not hate any). Om ! Let there be Peace in me ! Let there be Peace in my environment ! Let there be Peace in the forces that act on me !

om shantih shantih shantih
I am so saddened by this sectarianism within the hindu comunity , it is pure ignorance
I do not care which liniage , says what , and how , let us just be glad that we are fortunate enough to have been born to meet any liniage at all ,

is this shantih mantra not universal enough ?

om shantih shantih shantih :namaste

Maya3

namaskaram :namaste

to all sanatana dharmi brothers and sisters ,

may we please remember

I am so saddened by this sectarianism within the hindu comunity , it is pure ignorance
I do not care which liniage , says what , and how , let us just be glad that we are fortunate enough to have been born to meet any liniage at all ,

is this shantih mantra not universal enough ?

om shantih shantih shantih :namaste

Beautiful and a very good reminder. Thank you for sharing this!

There is another site I frequent, a weightlifting site where of all places this would be discussed. There is one regular poster who is a die-hard bible literalist and actually stated publically that everyone will burn in hell if they don't accept Jesus as the Lord, God, and Savior. I quoted passages from the Bhagavad Gita, namely 18.65 and a few others citing that God does not ask for much. I'm sure I'll get ripped on there too. Meh, it's my karma. People just don't like me.

At a weight lifting place of all places, that really tells you how desperate people can get.
It's a perfect example of what I meant, we should be proud that our dharma is not like this and doesn't call for pushy ways of convincing people.

I wonder how many people are scared of hell? Imagine believing in it, it would be terrifying.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't that a shame that people need to push their own beliefs at the same time saying you are wrong in yours? I think they fear God more than they love him and therefore fear hell.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Where is this sectarian pushing I am hearing? Am I missing something? Because I just don't see it. Maybe somebody can PM me and direct me to a post where you felt that way. I just rarely do. )I'm just speaking about within the DIR thread here.)

Some people are so sensitive that if you mention you're of a different sect, or you point out how your belief is different, then its 'pushing'. Not to me it isn't.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Where is this sectarian pushing I am hearing? Am I missing something? Because I just don't see it. Maybe somebody can PM me and direct me to a post where you felt that way. I just rarely do. )I'm just speaking about within the DIR thread here.)

Same here :sarcastic

Aum Namah Shivaya

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram vinayaka ji ,

I do not mind to answer openly .

personaly I have no problem with any one or any school or liniage ,

but I do find it sad that when a non hindu asks a sincere question about prayer and refuge in god , that it ends up in some hindus refuting what shankara did or did not say , and what is or is not universalism , and whether universalism is or is not valid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
:facepalm:

I wish people would learn to discriminate between the meanings of the words universalism and syncretization. Universalism means what Chinu has pointed out. Hinduism does accept universalism in that it is accepting as valid, all beliefs for those who follow those beliefs. Judaism is valid for a Jew, Buddhism is right for a Buddhist, Hinduism is right for a Hindu. Hinduism accepts this universalism, used in its proper meaning. Syncretization is the blending and melding of different ideas and religions, which is what people get a wedgie over.
Jainarayan raises a perfectly valid point here particularly in saying that " Judaism is valid for a Jew, Buddhism is right for a Buddhist, Hinduism is right for a Hindu. Hinduism accepts this" universalism ",.........In the bhagavad gita krsna clearly states , .... that it is better that one should execute ones own dharma , (even if one executes it imperfectly ), than it is that we should do the duty of another , even if we are able to do this perfectly , ..... as we each have our prescribed sva dharma .

personaly I have questioned how this affects our chioce of tradition when it comes to religious practices . therefore as jainarayan says it is valid for a jew to prctice judaism, and a ..... in fact in light of krsnas words it is better for a jew to practice judaism , and better for a buddhist to practice buddhism , .....as it is their sva dharma , and one can see that this would lend it self to a cultural unity . but this also would suggest that we are to be accepting of each others sva dharma , therefore accepting of each others traditions .which one could logicaly call universalism ?

however .....

Oh come on, both syncretism and universalism are new age phenomena that are to be condemned. At least syncretism has some history in Hindu practices,though not in sxripture. Universalism has none. The neo-hindu idea of all ideas being correct is moronic and intellectually dysfunctional. The world can either be real or an illusion. There is eithet eternal hell or there is'nt. Two contradictory beleifs cannot be true at the same time. Neither is reality malleable by the personal whims and fancies of a person.

.....to reply that such ideas as universalism are 'new age' , and should be condemned is not what I would quite have expected :eek:
and as for 'neo hinduism', being liberal enough as to be accepting of others beleifs and traditions ? .......Hmmmm .... firstly it is not a new idea ! ....and secondly the idea of living harmoniously with the beleifs of others is hardly " moronic and intellectually dysfunctional " ..... far from it , it is inteligent and perfectly well ajusted .

the 'neo hinduism' that realy bothers me is this interlectual approach , which through too much learning and not enough practice has brought forth a new bread of ahamkarites who spend too much time belittling other traditions and nit picking over philosopical veiw points . this is not hinduism , it is interlectual attatchment .

and brings forth quotes such as this .....
It is so refreshing to see posts like this. Universalism reduces everything to the Loweat Common Denominator.
when in truth it is not universalism that reduces anything to the lowest common denominator .

it is the tendancy to interlectualise faith rather than practice it that reduces religion to the lowest level of understanding where one ceases to see the benifit of each others practices and reduces everything to the base level of sectarianism and fundamentalism , egnoring the validity of other traditions and the common benifit to mankind .

personaly I am very traditional in my veiw and beleive in preserving ones liniage without undue additions and subtractions and beleive in maintaining traditions ,
but that dose not mean that I canot or should not value and appreciate the traditions of others .(or learn from !)
personaly I would not like to see a bluring of what are often concidered to be cultural differences in tradition , as each has its own character , individuality and validity .
but I am aware that is also a need for it in some circumstances .