• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does Hinduism provide that?

islam abduallah

Other Hindus like me, see it as God, and Gods, so its sort of both. There is one Supreme God, and in my case its Siva, and then there are individual Gods, (Ganesha, Murugan and Hanuman might be examples) separate from Siva, assigned to do particular deeds, or jobs, if you will. So it would be like a CEO (Siva) who delegates out various tasks to well-qualified managers.

so why you call them as gods, they are just following his instructions, you may call them angels, No?
Creation, in Hinduism is more emanation. (Coming out of, formless into form) In a sense, because the universe is cyclic, there is no single creation time, just as there is no starting point on a circle.

So in essence, Hinduism has an very very different take on how the universe runs than western faiths. "East is east, and west is west, and ne'er the twain shall meet."
and it's finite or infinite?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
so why you call them as gods, they are just following his instructions, you may call them angels, No?

and it's finite or infinite?

Often in comparisons, to help western people understand, they are compared to archangels, yes. But the correct Hindu term is devas. God, gods, are borrowed terms. The Supreme God, in my case is called Mahadeva. So I think its just in words.

The universe is infinite, so is the time cycle.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
does this one god "who shiva and vishnu represent his forms" has a name

Ishvara means God.
It is a title though, not a name.

So those who believe that Vishnu is Ishvara call him Vishnu and those who view Shiva to be Ishvara call him Shiva.

Me Myself

Back to my username
excuse my ignorance about Hinduism, but how many deities provided by Hinduism?

do you consider them all are gods "universe creator" or what? are all powered equally or someone is more powered than others

thanks for your patience.

First its important to understand that nduism is not one religion but a compendiun of A LOT of religions, many fighting in between each other.

What many religions have in common is that all of this deities conform one dwity that is called brahman. Tiknk of it as all these deities and us the people too, being cells of brahaman.

Byd this, there exists the trimurti, which means three forms. This are three gods: Brahma (not to be confused with brahman) vishnu and Shiva which are the creator god and preservator god and the destructor god respextively.

Aout who is more powerful there are conradictory stories. Shaivas will tell you shiva is the ultimate truth,Vaishnavas will tell you vishnu is and some other will tell you other gods or godesses are the ultimate truths.

So there is why I say it is important to notice when you say hinduism you talk aot a lot of religions who share characters in the stories, but not all religions share all stories, not all stories are the same way in all religions or are interpreted the same way, etc.

Above all, I like an hinduist saying that says "truth is one, sages call it by different names"

So when I am graeful and happy I tend to worship Shiva and when I feel teerrible Krishna is the one who holds me. Both are God, both are faces of God. None gets mad because I worship the other.

God has many faces :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
got it thx

so there's no other life, no reward, no punish? just live and died

Different religions inside hinduism tell different things but if I understand correctly the ultimate prize is mokksha or liberation for a lot or for most of them.

In most of them you spend many lived reincarnating as different persons sometimes animals and also spend sometime in different worlds, temporal "heavens" or "hells" according to you actions in your past life. Good actions are rewarded in a new life on Earth as a human or in one of the heavens, similarly bad actions are come back to you in a new incarnation in Earth as a human or in one of e hells. That is the law of Karma.

Moksha means trascending both temporal pleasures and temporal pains, and be free, what hapens then changes from one reigion to next I believe. Surely someone will take form here and exmplain better than me :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
does this one god "who shiva and vishnu represent his forms" has a name

There was a time when Krishna was talking to e King of Dwarka, and Krishna tried to convince ghe king to move his kingdom elsewhere to avoid a battle with one of their enemies. His brother told Krishna that they didnt need to ran awayecause people would fig in his name and that iif they ran away, they will call his name (krishnas name ) as "coward" (some hindu word for that :eek: ) Krishna replied that it didnt mater, he didnt want people to fig and die for himhe wanted them to live for him. H said that peohave called him by many names in al times, and it doesnt matter to him the name they call him by, when they do so with love, when he feels alluded, then he will answer. :)

I think the moral is that all names are Gods name, and he will answer you according to the name you call him with, and the way in which you do so :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
got it thx

so there's no other life, no reward, no punish? just live and died

Generally speaking (very generally ... we're vast) there are two schools of thought on this. One is called monism, or non-dualism, where the soul totally merges with God, like water to water, and that is the ultimate destiny of all souls, and perfection, since God is perfect. The other view, dualism, or pluralism, says we only become 'in the likeness of' .

It's important to understand we're not speaking of the personality, the mind, or even the soul here, but the essence of the soul, or the Self. It's the part of us that remains unchanged, the only permanent part, and difficult, but not impossible to become aware of, yet the destiny of all souls.

Maya3

Me Myself, is your keyboard faulty?

I was wondering that too, or are you typing on your Iphone?

Islam abdullah,

As you have seen already there are many ways of looking at things in Hinduism. It really depends on who you ask.

What made you interested in Hinduism?

Maya

islam abduallah

As you have seen already there are many ways of looking at things in Hinduism. It really depends on who you ask.

What made you interested in Hinduism?

Maya

i'm completely ignorant about Non- Abrahamic religions and just seeking more information and cultures about other believes

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
sometimes it seems as acting as a child but i don't care if somebody thinks about me like that

Have you read any of the topics I started!? You won't feel childish at all. :biglaugh:

Seriously, what I mean is, no one should be mocked or thought of as childish for asking questions and exploring. Never feel that way.

islam abduallah

Have you read any of the topics I started!? You won't feel childish at all. :biglaugh:

Seriously, what I mean is, no one should be mocked or thought of as childish for asking questions and exploring. Never feel that way.

you made me really laughed :biglaugh:

thank you :)