• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does having a religion make you a better person?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some people might believe that the religious are supreme to the non-religious while the non-religious might seem themselves as supreme to the religious. o_O

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Some people might believe that the religious are supreme to the non-religious while the non-religious might seem themselves as supreme to the religious. o_O

I'd say that having a religion doesn't necessarily make one a better person on a grand scale, nor does not having one.

However, I feel there are specific cases in which some people, not all, may do better with or without a religion.

Last edited:

Whateverist

I'd say that having a religion doesn't necessarily make one a better person, nor does not having one.

However, I feel there are specific cases in which some people, not all, may do better with or without a religion.

You’re probably right but I really believe, in the USA at least, being a Christian probably means you have a triumphalist, exclusivist and simple minded grasp of the sacred. There are definitely exceptions but too few regard it as a wisdom tradition, instead believing the ‘wisdom’ is available to any and all willing to read scripture in a literal manner. So all subtlety is lost and belief comes to mean consent to propositions. Subtler interpretations raise suspicion that a snake is at work causing followers pull the blinders on even tighter. It doesn’t have to be this way. The religion per se isn’t the problem, but the way it is understood and practiced is.

You’re probably right but I really believe, in the USA at least, being a Christian probably means you have a triumphalist, exclusivist and simple minded grasp of the sacred. There are definitely exceptions but too few regard it as a wisdom tradition, instead believing the ‘wisdom’ is available to any and all willing to read scripture in a literal manner. So all subtlety is lost and belief comes to mean consent to propositions. Subtler interpretations raise suspicion that a snake is at work causing followers pull the blinders on even tighter. It doesn’t have to be this way. The religion per se isn’t the problem, but the way it is understood and practiced is.
When you are rich or just want privacy, exclusivity is the luxury of true enjoyment and happiness. We wouldn't want everyone there or it would defeat the purpose.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've known a couple Christians(I'm in the US, Midwest) who think deeply on their religion. I've known a few that fit into the category you speak of. I've known a lot that identify as such but believe almost none of it, instead using it as a cultural way of saying they're 'normal'. If they go to church at all, its to socialize or participate in Christmas/Easter.

I do think how its approached varies from place to place, too.

Whateverist

I've known a couple Christians(I'm in the US, Midwest) who think deeply on their religion. I've known a few that fit into the category you speak of. I've known a lot that identify as such but believe almost none of it, instead using it as a cultural way of saying they're 'normal'. If they go to church at all, its to socialize or participate in Christmas/Easter.

I do think how its approached varies from place to place, too.

Yes. Beyond the gung-ho and the wise there probably many more for which church going is just the cultural norm and less trouble than defending one’s real feelings.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I think you are missing at least another option and possibly more - that one being - It depends - and as to whether you become closer to all others or if it teaches one to discriminate based upon some particular (unevidenced) dogma. Another option might be - Other - in that religions might make one better in some ways and not in others. If I was to sample a group of a hundred people each from many countries all around the world, all of which were devout believers in their particular religion, do you think they would all come out the same as to beliefs and behaviours?

So no option to vote for.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
does-having-a-religion-make-you-a-better-person?
I think that the polytheists are better for their beliefs, although I think of their beliefs as more of a spiritual approach to nature where its elements are represented by named symbols.

But I think most everybody who buys into Abrahamic monotheism is harmed by it to some degree. I was.

For starters, those religions leach the spiritual and sacred from nature and invest it in an angry, harshly judgmental unseen ghost living outside of nature and allegedly issuing threats and commands. Also, they praise faith as a virtue, teach that society is something to eschew, demean nature, demean man as weak and sick, demean reason, demean the accumulated wisdom of man, and promote values I consider immoral or foolish.

So, now we have all of these people that think like that, denying climate change, denying vaccine efficacy, denying election integrity, voting for thugs who seem to support their religion in government, defenseless against propagandists, and opposing humanistic efforts at creating a more just, equitable, and tolerant society with a raft of bigotries.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I answer "yes" but only for those who are inspired by the message of the religion and as a result try sincerely to "walk the talk". This also applies to atheists who have a ethical outlook on life and also try to live up to their ideals.
Yes, but one might wish to first look at the religion in question and carefully evaluate what walking the talk entails.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes, but one might wish to first look at the religion in question and carefully evaluate what walking the talk entails.
Interpreting scripture can indeed be tricky and often people find that the scripture and the Divine wants what they want. So I add two things. The first is what the core of the religion is all about. For Christians what would to me the greatest commandments. For Buddhists living a life of pure compassion. For Muslims submission to Allah and the 99 "names" of God. For Jews I like this from Rabbi Hillel, Babylonian Talmud: "What is hateful to you do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary. Go, learn (it)!"

The second is sincerity of purpose. That inevitably involves a certain amount of humility and that leads to approaching a religion seeking understanding and not looking for one's bias to be confirmed.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Me? I'd have to have that Sliding Doors film scenario. One of me bumps into Buddhism and the other one doesn't. As it is, I couldn't really say if I'm a better, a worserer or just the same sort of person. Perhaps meditation stopped me from becoming a mass murderer. We'll never know. Well, @JustGeorge does cos she knows what I keep in the chest freezer.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Me? I'd have to have that Sliding Doors film scenario. One of me bumps into Buddhism and the other one doesn't. As it is, I couldn't really say if I'm a better, a worserer or just the same sort of person. Perhaps meditation stopped me from becoming a mass murderer. We'll never know. Well, @JustGeorge does cos she knows what I keep in the chest freezer.
Yup.

He talks a big game, but its full of cake.

That's why I come around, after all.