• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God send babies to hell?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:
Doesn't the bible say somewhere that the penalty of sin is death or hell, and that every person is "born" with sin?
It says that the penalty for sin is death, but it doesn't say that every person is born sinful. I can't even imagine what kind of sin a baby could possibly be born with.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Depends on which gods, I suppose. None of mine would. They might have myths/ stories where they 'rescue' babies from a version of hell, but that's about it.

Genna

Katzpur said:
It says that the penalty for sin is death, but it doesn't say that every person is born sinful. I can't even imagine what kind of sin a baby could possibly be born with.

What does these verses mean to you?

Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genna said:

Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

To me, this one means that all are born with the propensity or inclination to sin. In other words, I believe that we inherited Adam's sinful nature, but not his guilt.

I believe that all who are capable of sin have sinned. I don't believe it is possible for anyone to sin until he has reached an age and maturity level where he can understand the difference between right and wrong. I don't believe Paul was addressing his remarks to babies and small children.

Genna said:
OK, if you believe in a hell, does God send babies to hell?
Catholics would generally say no. Other than the saints, whom we know are in heaven, Catholics do not claim to know who God condemns to Hell, although they would generally say that no, He would not:

"Permit the little children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Mark 10:14

The verses you asked about earlier refer to the doctrine of original sin, i.e. that all people are born with an instrinsic propensity and tendency to sin. However, one must actually sin before one is counted guilty, of course. However, interestingly, Catholics and some other Christians do baptize babies in order to confer to them a special measure of grace before they even have a chance to sin.

FGS

Tagra

Genna said:

Hi, First time on this site.
That is because geneticly all of us are imperfect; we inherited this from Adam and Eve. I don't beleve God sends anyone to Hell, for "The Dead are conscious of nothing at all" - Ecclesiastes chapter 9, verse 5. And they would stay non existent forever, if it wasn't for Jesus' sacrafice.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Tagra said:
Hi, First time on this site.
That is because geneticly all of us are imperfect; we inherited this from Adam and Eve. I don't beleve God sends anyone to Hell, for "The Dead are conscious of nothing at all" - Ecclesiastes chapter 9, verse 5. And they would stay non existent forever, if it wasn't for Jesus' sacrafice.

So you believe in original sin which is no where found in the Bible?

Doktormartini

小虎
Katzpur said:
Original Sin. Or is that only Catholics that belive that?

adlemi

Genna said:
OK, if you believe in a hell, does God send babies to hell?
God does not send babies to hell because God transfers the spirit of any dead infant to another new born infant so that the spirit of the dead infant may reach the stage of maturity here on earth.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I would suggest that if little innocent, delightful babies are going to Hell, then NO ONE is going to Heaven. I do not see how anyone or any theology could seriously support such a ludicrous idea. Further to this, IF babies DO go to Hell, then I will happily volunteer for diaper duty and man the daycares, as I would have no interest in ever looking at, or being near, such a god again.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Doktormartini said:
Original Sin. Or is that only Catholics that belive that?
Hey, Dok. I make it a point on this forum never to make a statement as to what other people believe. I'll leave it to Roman and Eastern Catholics and to the various Protestant denominations to state their own beliefs. I'm sure they are in a better position to do so than I am.

My own belief is that each of us was born inheriting Adam's propensity to sin, or his sinful nature. I do not believe that anyone has ever been born bearing the guilt for his transgression. I believe that babies are born pure and clean and, until they have reached an age and level of maturity to recognize the difference between good and evil, are incapable of sinning.

Draka

Wonder Woman
YmirGF said:
I would suggest that if little innocent, delightful babies are going to Hell, then NO ONE is going to Heaven. I do not see how anyone or any theology could seriously support such a ludicrous idea. Further to this, IF babies DO go to Hell, then I will happily volunteer for diaper duty and man the daycares, as I would have no interest in ever looking at, or being near, such a god again.

Agreed! I'll be at the next changing table over to your right if you want to chat ;) .

Bishka

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:

Agreed.

How anybody could think of seperating those delightful little souls from God is insane!