• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God live within atheists?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God would simply be faithful to his word, I don't think there would be any atheists.
Three or four years after my father died, I began thinking about him a lot. And I thought I should make some genuine enquiries about the supernatural, and not just be an armchair skeptic.

So I decided to meditate in such a manner as to hold an invitation in my mind to any supernatural being who was out there. At that moment in my life I was genuinely asking, open to any answer.

I had three sessions, spaced as eg Wed, Fri, Mon. Each session was about 30-35 minutes long,. and perhaps three quarters of it was meditating.

I was careful not to design any particular respondent to my enquiry. I didn't call on Yahweh, Jesus, Vishnu, the Buddha, my ancestors, the Great Spirit, the Rainbow Serpent, Satan, or any other particular identity. My invitation was to any and them all.

Nothing. Complete silence. Not even a tiny hint, a problematic oddity. Zip.

So it isn't as if I haven't looked into these things.
For instance, Christ said ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find.
I say with some confidence that this was untrue in my case.
Now if God actually lived up to that statement, everyone who seeks the truth would find the truth, and we wouldn't have so much Division and confusion among seekers.
Exactly.

Straw Dog

No, he/she/it/whatever really does not live in all atheists. In fact, this is the most that I've even thought about the concept of God in quite a while. Strangely enough, I've actually become more cheerful in that time.

endless nothing

Atheists are temples of the Holy Spirit too aren't they?

Do you have to believe in God in order for his spirit to dwell within you?

If God would simply be faithful to his word, I don't think there would be any atheists.

For instance, Christ said ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find. Now if God actually lived up to that statement, everyone who seeks the truth would find the truth, and we wouldn't have so much Division and confusion among seekers.

Perhaps the fact that there are so many atheists is actually more of a reflection on God.

endless nothing

I don't think God lives in anyone being a separate person. We possess "supernatural" qualities that let us make choices. Until someone can make perfect choices I don't think anyone should claim to have a divine being inside them.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

For instance, Christ said ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find. Now if God actually lived up to that statement, everyone who seeks the truth would find the truth, and we wouldn't have so much Division and confusion among seekers.

Perhaps the fact that there are so many atheists is actually more of a reflection on God.

Of course God is within atheists:

Col 1:7 - He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together.

But He will not speak up inside the atheist who remains closed to Him.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Those who are sincere are guided to the relevant activation code ;)

Before Adam and Eve pbut, there were many creations that lived on Earth. How do you know they had not been sent Messengers or didn't believe in their Creator?

Because before the Jesuits there wasn't proselytizing religious nutjobs spreading their fairytales.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If it's hardcoded and not been activated, then there's no reason to think it couldn't have been switched on with these S.A Tribes. Similarly someone born and raised as a atheist could be given the key to activate their inner awareness and straight away, they would believe in God.

Trouble is, you are talking fiction and calling it truth.

Out of interest could you let me know who these tribes were, as I'm sure they would have known something about the supernatural world.
The best known are the Pirahã.

Pirahã - Wikipedia

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

IMO it is always an unnecessary and unwanted complication to talk about God, since the concept is so helplessly vague and malleable.

That said, if we must treat the idea of God as if it had a clear meaning, it is always helpful to remember that, except perhaps for particularly exotic theological models, belief and disbelief refer to the entity itself, not to its supposed creation.

Atheists are not supposed not to be significantly different from theists - and indeed, we are not. Holy Water does not react differently to us. Our reproduction and our offspring are indistinguishable from that of theists. As a matter of fact, it is not always even possible to tell whether any given person is a theist, an atheist or somehow oscillates between the two.

Therefore, whatever that supposed God decided to make true does not include such a clear distinction between theists and atheists. What that means exactly is probably for theists to decide.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Those who are sincere are guided to the relevant activation code ;)

Well if that's the case then since you're one of those people you should be able to explain where the 'we all recognise Allah' gene is in our genetic code. I'll wait.

Before Adam and Eve pbut, there were many creations that lived on Earth. How do you know they had not been sent Messengers or didn't believe in their Creator?

There's no evidence of anything like that occurring; literate societies did not exist before 8,000 BC - and even then written communication to facilitate the transmission of mass information isn't known to have occurred before 3,500 - 3,000 BC in Sumer. Also, there's no evidence at all for a monotheistic 'Allah-worshipping' religion. The surviving finds of prehistoric societies point to animistic, shamanistic and mother-goddess worshipping peoples.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I find this to be compelling evidence (proof) that God is a fictional character created by people who don't want to engage with nontheists. So they created a God in their own image.
Tom

Isn't it amazing, then, that most people who've ever lived believe such a fiction? I mean, what's wrong with 99.9% of humans?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Isn't it amazing, then, that most people who've ever lived believe such a fiction? I mean, what's wrong with 99.9% of humans?
Not too amazing considering that 100% of humans have been wrong about important stuff. The belief "There is a god and I know more about Him than most people" is one of the most consistently made errors.
Tom