• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God ever change his plan?

PhAA

Grand Master
The co-existence of Free Will and Predestination appears as a paradox until we realize that we are talking about two differing temporal states.

1) God's all knowing nature requires that even "before" creating He would know every decision each and every one of us will make at any and every point. To create having know that information is God agreeing to and s etting in stone our lives. Hence Predestination.

2) We however do not have that for-knowlege and make our decisions without being limited by a future that temporally does not yet exist. Hence Free Will.

IE we have Free Will, God has for-knowlege of the outcome of our Free Will. And because God still chose to create despite knowlege of our choices we have a preset course all set.

So our world is just like a TV show to him? Then only humans waste their time trying to perfect their acting well in fact, they're just a bunch of puppets to the director. That would be a pretty boring and worthless life.

rusra02

Premium Member
I just watched the Adjustment Bureau and it made me wonder this question. Where in the Bible does it say God never changes his plan? I planned to go to the beach today but that changed and I went to work. Any thoughts?

God does not plan. He has a purpose and that purpose is fulfilled. He will change his proposed actions when the circumstances that caused him to take that action change. For example, Jonah's message to Nineveh was "Only 40 days more, and Nineveh will be overthrown". (Jonah 3:4) But because the Ninevites repented and displayed remorse over their bad course, Jonah 3:10 reports that "God felt regret over the calamity that he had spoken of causing to them; and he did not cause it."
Once Jehovah speaks, his words are absolutely certain of fulfillment. Concerning his word, Isaiah 55:11 says "it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it."
Unlike man's plans that frequently go awry, all that God purposes comes true, always.

PhAA

Grand Master
God does not plan. He has a purpose and that purpose is fulfilled. He will change his proposed actions when the circumstances that caused him to take that action change. For example, Jonah's message to Nineveh was "Only 40 days more, and Nineveh will be overthrown". (Jonah 3:4) But because the Ninevites repented and displayed remorse over their bad course, Jonah 3:10 reports that "God felt regret over the calamity that he had spoken of causing to them; and he did not cause it."
Once Jehovah speaks, his words are absolutely certain of fulfillment. Concerning his word, Isaiah 55:11 says "it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it."
Unlike man's plans that frequently go awry, all that God purposes comes true, always.

Mind telling me his purpose?

orcel

Amature Theologian
Wouldn't changing the plan mean the plan was flawed to begin with?

I'd suggest that God's plan is like God, extra-temperal and what appears as God changing His mind, or His plan is really just temporally limmited human perspective.

orcel

Amature Theologian

I'd suggest that God's plan is like God, extra-temperal and what appears as God changing His mind, or His plan is really just temporally limmited human perspective.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I perceive a confusion between the 'plan' and the 'goal'.

As in chess the goal is rather constant.
The play of the game shows a continual redirection in pursuit of the goal.

Of course denying freewill won't work.

Play any game without freewill?.....not likely.

And life is not a head game?

jacquie40

If you do not know your true outcome how many times do you truely think you will change your oringal path?....Now if you knew the outcomes of your choices would you change?

Morpheus

Not necessarily. Your plan for teaching a child of 5 changes when the child reaches 18 (and indeed every year between). As humanity matures, its capacity for knowledge and understanding increases, so what God told humanity 4000 years ago, would not cut the mustard in todays world. We need a updated plan to move forward. When Jesus abolished the Sabbath, He was not necessarily saying "Ah, sorry guys, but of a blunder there. Forget what I said about that and now do this..."

Morpheus

Wonderful metaphor!!

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

Does a computer have free will?
Not necessarily. Your plan for teaching a child of 5 changes when the child reaches 18 (and indeed every year between).
No it doesn't. My plan already took into account that change.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I just watched the Adjustment Bureau and it made me wonder this question. Where in the Bible does it say God never changes his plan? I planned to go to the beach today but that changed and I went to work. Any thoughts?

For just as the pouring rain descends, and the snow, from the heavens and does not return to that place, unless it actually saturates the earth and makes it produce and sprout, and seed is actually given to the sower and bread to the eater, so my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly do that in which I have delighted, and it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it.
’” Isaiah 55:8-11.

“Remember this, that YOU people may muster up courage. Lay it to heart, YOU transgressors. 9 Remember the first things of a long time ago, that I am the Divine One and there is no other God, nor anyone like me; 10 the One telling from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done; the One saying, ‘My own counsel will stand, and everything that is my delight I shall do...I have even spoken [it]; I shall also bring it in. I have formed [it], I shall also do it.
Isaiah 46:8-11

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Does a computer have free will?

An object not having life is a comparison?
Do you really want to turn this to another freewill thread?

No it doesn't. My plan already took into account that change.

And your plan is greater than God's?

Maybe you've noticed.
Most of the events in our lives are by chance and circumstance.

For example...
I stated out of school headed for the drafting boards.
I have a knack for it.
To support my schooling I took up auto body repair.
I have a knack for it.
Heard about a job as a machinist....more money.
I have a knack for it.
Became a toolmaker.
I'm good at it....real good.

Where does freewill will play?....in denial.
I had several other options along the way.
I chose what I do....saying no to lesser things.

At the end of your days can you stand....have God look you in the face....
and then you say...'no'?

orcel

Amature Theologian
Not necessarily. Your plan for teaching a child of 5 changes when the child reaches 18 (and indeed every year between). As humanity matures, its capacity for knowledge and understanding increases, so what God told humanity 4000 years ago, would not cut the mustard in todays world. We need a updated plan to move forward. When Jesus abolished the Sabbath, He was not necessarily saying "Ah, sorry guys, but of a blunder there. Forget what I said about that and now do this..."

Yes that is a good descriprion. One way i often try to describe it os using the description of a computer program. I can write a quick program that waits for an letter input and outputs a number. IE A=1 B=2 C=3. Now just because the user inputs different letters and my outputs are different does not mean that program has changed. Its merely reacted to different stimula and or inputs. In a simular sence God can demand differntly, or react differntly ginve different human inputs without changing Himself, or His plan. Because YES, any change in a perfect God, or God's perfect plan would be a change away from perfection.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Exodus 32:14 (NASB)
"So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people."
big-grin-emoticon.gif