• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God ever change his plan?

Where Is God

Creator
I just watched the Adjustment Bureau and it made me wonder this question. Where in the Bible does it say God never changes his plan? I planned to go to the beach today but that changed and I went to work. Any thoughts?

Gloone

Well I don't see how anything could possibly be set in stone. People of different religions have been promised many different things and for some none of it is happen. Either they are following the wrong god or god threw them a bone while god took a detour and decided to do something else. There are a lot of examples in the bible where god has a plan and it gets screwed up and god just gives up and decides to do something else and unleashes some fury before taking leave.

Where Is God

Creator
Well I don't see how anything could possibly be set in stone. People of different religions have been promised many different things and for some none of it is happen. Either they are following the wrong god or god threw them a bone while god took a detour and decided to do something else. There are a lot of examples in the bible where god has a plan and it gets screwed up and god just gives up and decides to do something else and unleashes some fury before taking leave.

Exactly what I was thinking. Often Christians tell me of God's plan but believe we have free choice? I don't get it...

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Well even if he was going to change his plan, since he knows all, he would already know in advance that he was going to change his plan. So why not just make his plan the way it's going to end up anyways?

Confusing.

Where Is God

Creator
Well even if he was going to change his plan, since he knows all, he would already know in advance that he was going to change his plan. So why not just make his plan the way it's going to end up anyways?

Confusing.

Because humans have free will. Depending on our decisions is when I was implying he might change his plan.

Boethiah

Penguin
I guess it depends on how thorough God was with his plan. Is this plan represented by a topic outline, sentence outline, or a full blown paper with foot notes and the whole nine yards?

So, God might have written his paper or outline this way, or he could be proofreading as time goes on. One must wonder when he will finish and turn in his final copy...but to whom?

Hmm :sarcastic

Where Is God

Creator
I guess it depends on how thorough God was with his plan. Is this plan represented by a topic outline, sentence outline, or a full blown paper with foot notes and the whole nine yards?

So, God might have written his paper or outline this way, or he could be proofreading as time goes on. One must wonder when he will finish and turn in his final copy...but to whom?

Hmm :sarcastic

Win..

TheGodHypothesis

Descent with modification
Why doesn't anyone accept the simplest hypothesis and quit the hand wringing, opining on the paradoxes, and asking why God would let a 4 year old be raped and murdered?

There isn't one.

Suck it up and accept your mortality. After you die will be just like before you lived...it's a little scary but not too tough to accept emotionally. This is your only life, enjoy the beauty, the love, the family that are here now and the memories of the ones you loved who aren't, decry the brutality and try to change it, be a positive influence on the small circle of the world that you have an effect on, and don't spend the bulk of it trying to please a non-existent, all-powerful being.

orcel

Amature Theologian
I just watched the Adjustment Bureau and it made me wonder this question. Where in the Bible does it say God never changes his plan? I planned to go to the beach today but that changed and I went to work. Any thoughts?

The Bible mentions multiple times where God appears to change His mind. For example Abraham barters with God over how many good people God needs to find in Sodam in order to not destroy the city.

However I suggest that God does not change His mind. Rather as Klaufi pointed out God would know the outcome of thwe bartering and "plan" for it.

Further if God is perfect as Christian believe, then any change regardless of how small would be a move away from perfection. Hence God cannot change His mind.

I've argued on other threads that if the Christian God exists and created this universe then He must have created time, as time is part of this univers. And having created time, God must then exist external to time.

In that extra-temporal existence God would exist as a staric, non-changing, complete, constant single action, the action that created this universe. Complete with every apparent "inter-action" between God and this world. Including creation, bartering with Abraham, answering your prayers, Jesus's birth-ministry-death-resurection and return.

Any change even in thought is an impossibility for the Christian God.

Where Is God

Creator
Why doesn't anyone accept the simplest hypothesis and quit the hand wringing, opining on the paradoxes, and asking why God would let a 4 year old be raped and murdered?

There isn't one.

Suck it up and accept your mortality. After you die will be just like before you lived...it's a little scary but not too tough to accept emotionally. This is your only life, enjoy the beauty, the love, the family that are here now and the memories of the ones you loved who aren't, decry the brutality and try to change it, be a positive influence on the small circle of the world that you have an effect on, and don't spend the bulk of it trying to please a non-existent, all-powerful being.

I hope you're not talking to me I am an atheist dummy. I already practice everything you just mentioned clearly you don't know enough about me to assume that I spend the bulk of my life please a false god.

orcel

Amature Theologian
Exactly what I was thinking. Often Christians tell me of God's plan but believe we have free choice? I don't get it...

The co-existence of Free Will and Predestination appears as a paradox until we realize that we are talking about two differing temporal states.

1) God's all knowing nature requires that even "before" creating He would know every decision each and every one of us will make at any and every point. To create having know that information is God agreeing to and s etting in stone our lives. Hence Predestination.

2) We however do not have that for-knowlege and make our decisions without being limited by a future that temporally does not yet exist. Hence Free Will.

IE we have Free Will, God has for-knowlege of the outcome of our Free Will. And because God still chose to create despite knowlege of our choices we have a preset course all set.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Exodus 32:14 (NASB)
So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Where Is God said:
Do you disagree?

Yes. Free will is entirely illusional.

Last edited:

tarasan

there is a christian doctrine called Molinism or Middle knowledge that attempts to bring together human free will and gods sovernty.