• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God deserve eternal Hell?

Does God deserve eternal Hell?

• Yes. Call a spade a spade and give him what he has earned.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No. God is no saint, but eternal Hell is overkill.

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • No. God simply doesn't deserve that.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • BLASPHEMY! God is a perfect, faultless, blameless being!

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I expected that.

I actually it has shown how broad an opinion people can have on something when given the same evidence. I think it is an interesting question as long as it doesn't descend into a hate-fest.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If "God" condemns anyone to Hell, then "God" itself should be condemned. Love others as yourself and all that . . .

spiritually inclined

If you mean the biblical god, then I pick choice two: No. God is no saint, but eternal Hell is overkill.
As others have said, no one deserves eternal torture. That is simply not a just concept.

James

gnomon

Dead serious question here: Does God deserve eternal Hell as just punishment for his crimes?

Fine.

What crimes and what hell?

If you are referencing the Old Testament God and staying within that frame than what hell is there? What heaven is there for that matter?

LogDog

If a god exists and he resembles the character depicted in the christian holy book, we're all at the mercy of a psychopath. One who should be involuntarily committed for life regardless of the fact that his will never end. That said, if he responded positively to professional treatment and medications, it wouldn't be out of the question that he would at some point be allowed out of his padded cell to wander the corridors and watch television with the other patients. Eternal torture is unwarranted, even for the most monsterous of individuals.

nutshell

After three pages I'm still waiting to see what these so-called "crimes" are. Since no one has bothered to answer when this question was posed, I feel compelled to vote God is perfect.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
After three pages I'm still waiting to see what these so-called "crimes" are. Since no one has bothered to answer when this question was posed, I feel compelled to vote God is perfect.

In the OT God is a murderer and commits genocide. The OT God is a horrible evil thing.

LogDog

Hmm...we must have a different OT.

I doubt it. I think it's more likely that you and your type are performing the mental gymnastics which allow you to reconcile those actions that you'd otherwise consider amoral and/or evil. You recognise the contradictions and do everything in your power to convince yourself that there must be some "just" explanation for why your "god of love" would do such things.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I voted on the overkill. No one really deserves eternal hell.
However, if someone is going to judge others and deal such harsh punishments, he should be judged by the same standards.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It depends on the "God" one presents. Some peoples' "God" is a war criminal that should be judged just as it judges. It doesn't have to be that way though. :no:

turk179

I smell something....
I believe that the G-d that everyone speaks of is a natural force incapable of condemning or being condemned and there really isn't any option for that. So I had to pick the "G-d is no saint" choice because nature in itself can be quite harsh sometimes.

And what the heck do you mean "no conjugal visits?!!?"

nutshell

I doubt it. I think it's more likely that you and your type are performing the mental gymnastics which allow you to reconcile those actions that you'd otherwise consider amoral and/or evil. You recognise the contradictions and do everything in your power to convince yourself that there must be some "just" explanation for why your "god of love" would do such things.

"you and your type" ???
:rolleyes:

I don't perform mental gymnastics. Perhaps "you and your type" fail to reconcile the fact that things are bigger than yourselves. Without that reconciliation, you'll never understand God.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
"you and your type" ???
:rolleyes:

I don't perform mental gymnastics. Perhaps "you and your type" fail to reconcile the fact that things are bigger than yourselves. Without that reconciliation, you'll never understand God.

I personally fail to see how one can reconcile the killing of all the first born children of Egypt in the story of moses, or flooding the entire world and killing everything save one family and two of every animal. But then that's just me. More than likely these stories are parables meant to teach a lesson rather than actual fact. If that's the case then the Abrahamic God is probably vastly different and not as bad as th OT makes him out to be. But for arguments sake lets say the stories of the OT are literally true. How then could the acts of God(like the ones described above) in the OT be justified or reconciled?

gnomon

What next, shall we draw up indictments on certain figures in Gilgamesh, Hesiod's Theogeny....I want Loki before the stand now!

Perhaps we shall call the Celts forth for genocide. Of course, we would call that silly now wouldn't we.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Assuming this to be the Christian God, then yes. He should go to hell for being the biggest hypocrite of all.