• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God deserve eternal Hell?

Does God deserve eternal Hell?

• Yes. Call a spade a spade and give him what he has earned.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No. God is no saint, but eternal Hell is overkill.

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • No. God simply doesn't deserve that.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • BLASPHEMY! God is a perfect, faultless, blameless being!

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I don't think anyone, regardless of what they've done, actually deserves to be tortured for all eternity. From what I've read of the bible(especially the old testament) saying God has comitted no crimes would be like saying Hitler is a saint. But that's just my opinion and despite that I still don't fell that God OR Hitler or anyone else for that matter deserves ETERNAL damnation. Perhaps temporary but eternally.

Aasimar

Atheist
Dead serious question here: Does God deserve eternal Hell as just punishment for his crimes?

Though in theory he committed numerous crimes of horrific magnitude, nobody deserves eternal punishment. Not Hitler, not God, not Ann Coulter, not that Westboro Baptist woman, no one.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
God cannot be confined to any one place and therefore cannot be confined to hell. :)

w00t

If the God of the Bible is correctly reported then he is worse than any human monster and deserves to be punished. Eternal hell is an OTT punishment even for God!

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Dead serious question here: Does God deserve eternal Hell as just punishment for his crimes?

If we are talking about the God of the bible then I would say that the Character is no saint that is for sure. However nothing you could do deserves an eternity in hell. Of course to me the question is irrelevant. From my PoV neither God nor hell exists.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Which God are you talking about here? IMHO, the God of the OT is an often immoral character invented by humans who perhaps were themselves often immoral. But if you're talking about most people's notion of God, then I think most people imagine a much more moral deity than the folks who created the OT.

w00t

I think it is an interesting question. Many Christians say that God is good, but you have only to read the OT to see that isn't true!

John_672

Omnitheist
Which God? How do you define God? What had God done to deserve Hell? Is the nature of right and wrong dependent upon what God has told us is right and wrong, or can we make our own decisions?

I really feel that you might be taking something that is meant to be symbolic as literal. It's a good question, but it serves only to show that we really don't know enough about the Divine, Morality, Hell, and what role the Divine truly plays in every day actions of men. There are too many unknown factors. Unfortunately, there was no "other" option to your thread, so I picked #3 - God simply doesn't deserve Hell.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Looking at the poll results, and assuming we are talking of the god of the bible since we are talking of hell, I am actually a bit surprised at the votes for him being "perfect, faultless, and blameless".

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
From the replies to this thread, it appears that God is either not one, but several. Different Gods for Different demonimations ? Even as a non-Christian, the question is plainly ludicrous. If God is omipotent, God surely could not be concieved of as sending God ( himself/itself)to Hell, over which he is supposed to have domination.

~M