• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God atone for sins in your view

steveb1

The Jewish Bible - Torah, Prophets, Psalms, etc. - says that Yahweh grants forgiveness primarily through repentance on the sinner's part. Yahweh accepted many forms of atonement, not all of them at all related to blood sacrifice, the priesthood and the temple. He said he wanted a contrite and "circumcised" heart in preference to the smoke of sacrifices. God grants atonement, but has nothing to atone for, so Ps 65:3 meanst that God arranges the means of atonement. How could a sinless divine being atone for sins not his own? According to Deuteronomy 24:16, only a single person can make atonement for his/her own sins alone. No one, not God, not Jesus, can do it for us.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Psalm 65:3
When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions.

God gave humans a way to atone for sin in the Law covenant. The blood of animals was accepted by God to atone for sin. This was a temporary arrangement and was in force until Jesus paid the ransom with his own blood...once and for all. This permanent atonement was arranged by God who sent his son into the world to give his own precious blood for the sins of mankind....blood is the symbol of life itself.

Hebrews 9:19-22...
"For when Moses had spoken every commandment of the Law to all the people, he took the blood of the young bulls and of the goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled the book and all the people, 20 saying: “This is the blood of the covenant that God has commanded you to keep.” 21 He likewise sprinkled the tent and all the vessels of the holy service with the blood. 22 Yes, according to the Law nearly all things are cleansed with blood, and unless blood is poured out no forgiveness takes place."

"For if the blood of goats and of bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who have been defiled sanctifies for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of the Christ, who through an everlasting spirit offered himself without blemish to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works so that we may render sacred service to the living God?" (Hebrews 9:13-14)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As far as sin goes, I like this rendering of Hafiz:

If someone sits with me
And we talk about the Beloved

If I cannot give his heart comfort,
If I cannot make him feel better
About himself and this world,

Then Hafiz,
Quickly run to the mosque and pray—

For you have just committed
The only sin I know.

From ” I heard God laughing”

whirlingmerc

The Jewish Bible - Torah, Prophets, Psalms, etc. - says that Yahweh grants forgiveness primarily through repentance on the sinner's part. Yahweh accepted many forms of atonement, not all of them at all related to blood sacrifice, the priesthood and the temple. He said he wanted a contrite and "circumcised" heart in preference to the smoke of sacrifices. God grants atonement, but has nothing to atone for, so Ps 65:3 meanst that God arranges the means of atonement. How could a sinless divine being atone for sins not his own? According to Deuteronomy 24:16, only a single person can make atonement for his/her own sins alone. No one, not God, not Jesus, can do it for us.

It appears in Psalm 65 that God does atone for sin
God also took away Isaiah's sin in Isaiah 6. Or am I getting that wrong?

ajay0

As per the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, confession of sins along with repentance and ensuring they are not repeated ensures atonement of sins to a partial extent.

Sadhana or spiritual exercise along with service to God and virtuous conduct enables one to get rid of all sins completely, through expansion of consciousness that destroys karma.

wellwisher

Sin is connected to law. Sin is not imputed, where there is not a law. For example, certain words were not considered social sins until PC created it own set of laws and taboos. Now that the taboos are in place, these same words become subjective sins. The power of sin is the law. Once law is repealed the associated sin disappears.

Law is symbolized in the bible as the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Law teaches us how to differentiate good and bad behavior. This tree is connected to Satan; serpent is in the tree of knowledge of good and evil. God warned not to choose law.

In terms of spiritual hierarchy, Satan is below God, therefore God is not under the law or the standards that are imposed by a subordinate. The Chairman of the Board is not under the rules of the CEO. Therefore God is without sin, no matter what he does. Sin is not imputed, if one is above the law, therefore God never has to atone, by default.

For example, Hillary Clinton broke laws connected to the handling of classified information. She did not have to atone, because she was above the law; two sets of rules.

Those who like to create laws and regulation to control behavior in others work for Satan. They are the children of the bond woman. This is a path toward salvation, but it is not easy to find the optimized set of laws, so one can avoid key sins.

Forgiveness of sins implies being above the law. If sin is neutralized by forgiveness, then so is the law; children of the promise. This is where you treat God as a father and become above the law; spirit of truth.

“Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered”

rosends

Psalm 65:3
When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions.
I read an interesting piece today which makes the argument that the word used in that verse has its root k-p-r which doesn't man "atone" but means "cover." Cover, as in, make it so it can't be seen or recognized.

whirlingmerc

I read an interesting piece today which makes the argument that the word used in that verse has its root k-p-r which doesn't man "atone" but means "cover." Cover, as in, make it so it can't be seen or recognized.

I believe that covering is part of atonement.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I believe that covering is part of atonement.

In most all cultures atonement is part of process of consciously accepting responsibility, asking forgiveness, and at times compensation for your injury to others, or possibly yourself.

With concerns in this life and beyond I believe it is the sincerity of the individual that determines forgiveness, and receives compassion from God, which has no price.

Animal nor human sacrifice has any impact on the need for humans accepting responsibility for human failings.

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

Forgive me of my trespasses as I forgive those who trespass against me. I believe forgiveness is a hedonistic thing.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
God gave humans a way to atone for sin in the Law covenant.
Although God commasnded us Jews to offer sacrifices, including blood sacrifices, blood sacrifices are not actually necessary. Indeed all it really takes when the rubber meets the road is repentance -- a broken heart and a contrite spirit.

1. Remember that for the poor who needed to bring a sin offering and couldn't afford the animal, they could bring a grain offering.

2. The Yom Kippur offering was for the sins of Israel, not individuals.

3. When the Children of Israel were punished with a plague, it says that Aaron offered up incense and made atonement for them.

4. When David said he had sinned to Nathan, Nathan responded that his sins were forgiven. This was BEFORE David had given any offering at all, blood or otherwise.

5. Psalm 40:7 Burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required.

6. Psalm 51:18 For Thou delightest not in sacrifice, else would I give it; Thou hast no pleasure in burnt-offering.

7. Hosea 14:2 The words of our lips (prayers) shall be as calves (sacrifices). [This is why Jews today can fulfill the commandments for sacrifices without a Temple.]