• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Answer ALL prayers?

rusra02

Premium Member
I do not believe that he does. Isaiah 1:15 says concerning the true God: "And when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you. Although you offer many prayers, I am not listening; Your hands are filled with blood."
What does God require for our prayers to be heard and answered?

gree0232

I do not believe that he does. Isaiah 1:15 says concerning the true God: "And when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you. Although you offer many prayers, I am not listening; Your hands are filled with blood."

No is an answer.

It should also be noted that the Holy Spirit is the means of communication with Heavenly Father. One must be attuned to it, and worthy of it, to hear it.

What do you think happens when, after violating 8 of the 10 commandments, we turn to God and ask him for a favor?

ametist

Heaven or paradise is a state of being where you are ready to receive all god can offer to you. So before walking through the hell where all god offered to you is not what you find suitable for your personal self, you cant truelly be in heaven where all your prayers are answered.
There are two sides to prayer. The one you ask from god for your personal self, the one you ask from god for the other. The later is always answered. Pls also work on the term 'other' to better clarify.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tend to feel that prayers are for us-- not God. IOW, it's our opportunity, if we take it, to sit down and think about what's right and wrong, and which way is the best path for us to follow.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I see no means to answer all prayer.

I might want sunshine and the farmer down the road would need rain.

Poverty would cease....so too the economy.
Hospitals would empty....so too the churches.

No need for schools.
no need for paychecks.
No need to care....

Seems odd really.
No need....because the praying got answered.
But then as soon as the need is filled....
no need to pray.

If you get what you pray for.....sooner or later.....you won't

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
If God has a set plan in motion and is all knowing then everything is already predetermined. Your merely an actor reading written lines. You will pray or you will not. If a God is all knowing than the true quest is in actually understanding our surroundings and reflecting on outcomes. Taking in the actual experience.

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
No is an answer.

Indeed it is. But then that sets the following premise;

Why did God not answer when I asked him if he'd make my dying child better again?

He did answer: The answer was no.

Why kind of a God says No to being asked to cure a dying child of cancer?

Not one I am particularly interested in.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe He does. We don't always recognize the answer until later (those of us who believe). Sometimes the answer is no.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I do think God hears and answers all prayers. I think often we don't recognize or register the answer; I think sometimes the answer is "no;" and I think sometimes the answer is neither "yes" nor "no," but merely a sympathetic commiseration, a silent offering of love and comfort.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think if someone is capable of perceiving one thing happening as a result of appealing to their god, then they're probably capable of perceiving all things as happening as a result of appealing to their god. Confirmation bias is a much bigger factor for some people than others.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Maybe prayer is simply getting one's head around a problem. If I believe in a supernatural agency then I can resolve my problem from that perspective, and be satisfied. If I don't believe in anything supernatural, I can consider deeply, almost prayerfully, and resolve my problem similarly. So what is the difference between prayer and contemplation? I wish I believed in something so great that I could call upon it to solve my dilemnas. But ultimately they are my problems, not God's, and I must solve them or not. I must deal with them. I don't have to work alone. I can ask a friend to help. Isn't that really what prayer is? But God gives you only moral support.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

We can confidently say that god cannot possibly answer all prayers.

I could for instance pray:

God please do not answer any of my prayers.

I wonder how he is going to deal with that one.

Ciao

- viole

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It seems to me this passage suggests that the one-god may have a tendency to ignore cries for help from people who are jerks?

Parsimony

Given the context, I would say that God ignores (or is at least less inclined to answer) prayers given to Him by people who are willfully living in sin.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Maybe later is also an answer. So there is no way to distinguish an answered prayer from just natural outcomes.

But therein lies the same problem highlighted in previous post.

Mother: Dear Lord. Cure my child of cancer.
God: No.

Farmer: Dear Lord. Please bring rain to end this drought, if I don't get rain in a week my crops will die and we wont make money to feed ourselves.

God: Later.

Unacceptable answers either way. Does not your American constitution basically say (in summary) that those with the power to act have the responsibility to act?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
God selectively answering some prayers, while not answering others, or partially answering some, suspiciously, has the exact same results as if there were no god answering prayers at all. Hmmm...

gree0232

God selectively answering some prayers, while not answering others, or partially answering some, suspiciously, has the exact same results as if there were no god answering prayers at all. Hmmm...

Oh selective answering of prayers is the same thing as NO GOD answering any prayers at all ... some answered ... equals none answered ...

... sometimes the leaps in atheist argumentation are down right entertaining :yes:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
We can confidently say that god cannot possibly answer all prayers.

I could for instance pray:

God please do not answer any of my prayers.

I wonder how he is going to deal with that one.

Ciao

- viole

nice try but god(s) could easily answer no and therefore answer your prayers.