• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone else experience anxiety over climate change?

JeremK

I've gone anxiety over climate change for a few years now, on and off. Welp, it's come back, and I'd like to see if anyone else has the anxiety.

Climate change is a very serious problem. I wholeheartedly think it exists, and it seems like practically all scientific evidence points towards its existence. That's not a good thing, though. I wish our government just made it up to distract us, but it's real and dangerous.

At the rate we're going, the temperature global temperature could rise from anywhere between 3.5 and 5 degrees celsius, which would be absolutely catastrophic. We're starting a new mass extinction, and it'll be devastating to us. Climate change will greatly harm our world no matter what we do. We may not even be able to prevent the increase in temperature from reaching 2 degrees celsius, which is the "red line" of sorts for temperature increase. And no, even if we go extinct, climate change will not rid of all life on our planet, or make it uninhabitable. Eventually, there will be another intelligent lifeform to replace us.

It feels like humanity is going to go extinct soon, and for obvious reasons, that feeling terrifies me. On the bright side, I finally solved my religious crisis, though. :)

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Well who wouldn't? It's affecting our planet rather negatively. But the cause of this (AFAIK) is Humans. If we don't help our planet, then it will die, which means us too.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
I've gone anxiety over climate change for a few years now, on and off. Welp, it's come back, and I'd like to see if anyone else has the anxiety.

Climate change is a very serious problem. I wholeheartedly think it exists, and it seems like practically all scientific evidence points towards its existence. That's not a good thing, though. I wish our government just made it up to distract us, but it's real and dangerous.

At the rate we're going, the temperature global temperature could rise from anywhere between 3.5 and 5 degrees celsius, which would be absolutely catastrophic. We're starting a new mass extinction, and it'll be devastating to us. Climate change will greatly harm our world no matter what we do. We may not even be able to prevent the increase in temperature from reaching 2 degrees celsius, which is the "red line" of sorts for temperature increase. And no, even if we go extinct, climate change will not rid of all life on our planet, or make it uninhabitable. Eventually, there will be another intelligent lifeform to replace us.

It feels like humanity is going to go extinct soon, and for obvious reasons, that feeling terrifies me. On the bright side, I finally solved my religious crisis, though. :)

Well I believe that when we die, its how we die that to a large extent dictates what our next life will be
unless we have seriously tragic karma from how we lived that life.

So if the oceans flood and I drown, then I'll be looking forward to
being an Orca in my next life.

Or if the flood causes an ice age, then a polar bear will be pretty cool too.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I acknowledge the problem, but I don't lose sleep over it. As an old fart, 'natural causes' will probably overtake me before climate change does me in, but I do understand it to be the most serious challenge to life on Earth in the past 65 million years.
As for anxiety over the prospect of human extinction, what's to be anxious about? Our species has proven to be a planetary infection. We don't inhabit the planet so much as infest it.
If my body's infected with influenza or ebola, the best thing for it is to wipe out te infectious virus. Currently the Earth is infected with humans. Be Happy! Our extinction will be a good thing!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yellowstone or any super-volcano could blow tomorrow and will eventually happen.
A massive meteor could hit us within our life time and will eventually happen.
A new virus could race through the world and kill us.
A massive solar flare could hit the planet and kill many.
I am more likely to be killed by slipping in my shower than any of this.

Death is the end of life, I have no anxiety over it.

Brian Schuh

This will sound retarded but I actually thought this. What if Antarctica is the lost Atlantis? If all the ice melts, we could go down there and maybe find an ancient civilization.

But in all seriousness, there have been climate changes before, including one or more Ice Ages (depending on whether you are a Creationist or not in how many you believe happened.)

I like the comedian George Carlin's view on this. He said it is arrogant and egotistical for humankind to believe we are powerful enough to change the climate. It is an act of God.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As a species, we're smart enough to get ourselves into trouble, but stupid enough to do nothing about it. Many people who are "smart for a human" even deny climate change is happening, thinking themselves more intelligent and knowledgeable than the thousands of scientists who, unlike them, actually get off their butts every day to study the problem. But what will happen will happen no matter how many relatively smart people (and dumb ones too) think it won't.

Apparently, we've been the cause of a massive extinction of life on this planet for at least the past 10,000 years. Human caused climate change is only the more recent way that we've been killing off species right and left. But mass extinctions have occurred in the past at least five or six times. Once we're out of the picture, life will bounce back from the extinction we cause, although it will take millions of years to do so. There is no guarantee, however, that there will ever be another life form that is as simultaneously smart and stupid as us.

In my view, what we're doing to the climate, and our failure to change what we're doing, is tragic in the truest sense of the word "tragic". But as the ancient Greeks knew, humans are essentially a tragic species. Smart enough to get themselves into trouble. Not smart enough to get themselves out of it.

Kapalika

Premium Member
(Catastrophic) Climate Change, like it's predecessor Global Warming, is a total hoax. Relax. Live your life. Have a cuppa Chamomile. This hoax is sure to be replaced by the next one.

We are already seeing results. Seasons are more unstable, there is an increase in violent weather, and ice is continually falling into the ocean and melting at increasing rates. There is an iceshelf in Antarctica that when it falls will unleash tons of glaciers behind it.

We will start to see it really ramp up as soon as 2030-2050. That's easily within many of our lifetimes. This is real. Global Warming *is* climate change, but some people were too stupid to realize that global warming applied to the overall average temperature and didn't seem to get that the actual temperature can vary wildly throughout the year still (and would). So they renamed it climate change to clear up people's impression.

Seems it didn't work. You people still don't get it, because you don't even take the time to look into it. Climate change is as real as evolution. It's idiotic to deny it, or at least willfully ignorant.

You know, just in my area I've heard many older people comment that the weather has been very odd the last 8 or so years here. Crazy cold winters, then in spring one day its really hot then the next day it snows. this last winter it snowed like once and its been really warm but then we got weird snow just a few days ago. Of all the really old people I've talked to in their 60's or 70's they all say its never been like this before. And there are stories like this all across the world, and it's particularly true in certain places that will be affected much more heavily than others.

I don't doubt it for a second, not because of any of my story there, but simply because all the data supports it, the science supports it, and the evidence supports it. Overwhelmingly. If 98% or 99% of people who specialize in studying this, spend their entire life studying it agree that this is the case as well... then that's a pretty damn good indication that they are right. But even if they didn't, the evidence still stands on it's own. Their conclusions simply match what I as a layman can see in what I understand of the evidence.

As a species, we're smart enough to get ourselves into trouble, but stupid enough to do nothing about it. Many people who are "smart for a human" even deny climate change is happening, thinking themselves more intelligent and knowledgeable than the thousands of scientists who, unlike them, actually get off their butts every day to study the problem. But what will happen will happen no matter how many relatively smart people (and dumb ones too) think it won't.

Apparently, we've been the cause of a massive extinction of life on this planet for at least the past 10,000 years. Human caused climate change is only the more recent way that we've been killing off species right and left. But mass extinctions have occurred in the past at least five or six times. Once we're out of the picture, life will bounce back from the extinction we cause, although it will take millions of years to do so. There is no guarantee, however, that there will ever be another life form that is as simultaneously smart and stupid as us.

In my view, what we're doing to the climate, and our failure to change what we're doing, is tragic in the truest sense of the word "tragic". But as the ancient Greeks knew, humans are essentially a tragic species. Smart enough to get themselves into trouble. Not smart enough to get themselves out of it.

You said this much better than I ever could. It's amazing how intellegent we are, but how unwise we are as well.

We can only hope that enough of us realize our mistake before it's way too late. It's already too late, but we might have a chance to at least do some damage control if we start to truly react soon enough within the next decade or so. Sadly that seems very unlikely.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We are already seeing results. Seasons are more unstable, there is an increase in violent weather, and ice is continually falling into the ocean and melting at increasing rates. There is an iceshelf in Antarctica that when it falls will unleash tons of glaciers behind it.

We will start to see it really ramp up as soon as 2030-2050. That's easily within many of our lifetimes. This is real. Global Warming *is* climate change, but some people were too stupid to realize that global warming applied to the overall average temperature and didn't seem to get that the actual temperature can vary wildly throughout the year still (and would). So they renamed it climate change to clear up people's impression.

Seems it didn't work. You people still don't get it, because you don't even take the time to look into it. Climate change is as real as evolution. It's idiotic to deny it, or at least willfully ignorant.

You know, just in my area I've heard many older people comment that the weather has been very odd the last 8 or so years here. Crazy cold winters, then in spring one day its really hot then the next day it snows. this last winter it snowed like once and its been really warm but then we got weird snow just a few days ago. Of all the really old people I've talked to in their 60's or 70's they all say its never been like this before. And there are stories like this all across the world, and it's particularly true in certain places that will be affected much more heavily than others.

I don't doubt it for a second, not because of any of my story there, but simply because all the data supports it, the science supports it, and the evidence supports it. Overwhelmingly. If 98% or 99% of people who specialize in studying this, spend their entire life studying it agree that this is the case as well... then that's a pretty damn good indication that they are right. But even if they didn't, the evidence still stands on it's own. Their conclusions simply match what I as a layman can see in what I understand of the evidence.

You said this much better than I ever could. It's amazing how intellegent we are, but how unwise we are as well.

We can only hope that enough of us realize our mistake before it's way too late. It's already too late, but we might have a chance to at least do some damage control if we start to truly react soon enough within the next decade or so. Sadly that seems very unlikely.

Prove it!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Having grown up during the tail end of the Cold War, I don't see much hope for our species. Being a fan of George Carlin and Bill Hicks, I have to agree, it's a ride, we have tickets to the freak show, and when you're an American you have a front row ticket. We may be able to solve this problem, but incessant denial makes me think this is not auf wiedersehen, but total annihilation for future generations who are going to struggle and perish because of our dumb *** foolishness. They will hate us, see us as idiots, and have to face the demise of humanity because we are so greedy and so insistent that our way of live is so far superior that we didn't bother to think future generations will have to deal with the problems we created.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Kinda hope it does get to the point of no return, so the guys that didn't address the issue would get to feel the evidence.
The next generation of politicians will be fixing this issue, no worries.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

and this planet has enough elemental substance to support 9billion people.
almost there....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This will sound retarded but I actually thought this. What if Antarctica is the lost Atlantis? If all the ice melts, we could go down there and maybe find an ancient civilization.

But in all seriousness, there have been climate changes before, including one or more Ice Ages (depending on whether you are a Creationist or not in how many you believe happened.)

I like the comedian George Carlin's view on this. He said it is arrogant and egotistical for humankind to believe we are powerful enough to change the climate. It is an act of God.
when the earth was seven degrees cooler than the year 1900....there was a glacier on top of the territory of New York
that would be about 10,000yrs ago

since 1900, the temp has gone up 3degrees....in less than one hundred years

and some people want to say .....NOT ME.....I had nothing to do with it!

see a video.....An Inconvenient Truth
Al Gore narrates

BSM1

What? Me worry?
when the earth was seven degrees cooler than the year 1900....there was a glacier on top of the territory of New York
that would be about 10,000yrs ago

since 1900, the temp has gone up 3degrees....in less than one hundred years

and some people want to say .....NOT ME.....I had nothing to do with it!

see a video.....An Inconvenient Truth
Al Gore narrates

Mr. Gore became very wealthy selling this particular brand of snake oil. You've been had, sorry.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Totally amazes me that despite living in a world surrounded by proof of something happening, being able to actually see it happen right before ones eyes, that some people still refuse to acknowledge it. I simply can't understand that mentality. The need to deny the truth to maintain, what, deniability? Ignorance? Lack of responsibility? I just don't get climate change denial.

Brian Schuh

It seems that there are more important things to be concerned about, like Iran getting nukes, or a global economic collapse or worst of all, Donald Trump might become President. All these things are more likely to happen than extinction due to climate change.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mr. Gore became very wealthy selling this particular brand of snake oil. You've been had, sorry.
FYI, Gore did not come up with climate change, he was not the first to advocate for it, and it's not even something that originated with him books or documentary.
Like it or not, climate change denial is on par with evolution denial.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It seems that there are more important things to be concerned about, like Iran getting nukes, or a global economic collapse or worst of all, Donald Trump might become President. All these things are more likely to happen than extinction due to climate change.
Iran getting nukes or a global economic meltdown will not spell doom for our species and many others like our destruction of the environment will. Economic declines are very survivable. Nuclear warfare is devastating but we'll survive. Something that is devastating entire ecologies, species, causing a mass extinction, defacing the planet, and is a huge detriment to the natural order of things? Not even ocean life is faring that well.