• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any supernatural god exist?

Does any supernatural god exist?

• Certainly

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Certainly not

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Certainly don't know

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
I'm not the one doing the wiggling here.

Notice, first, how the word 'elect' (upper or lower case) is never used. Note, second, that no limit is placed on the number of those chosen. Note third how that's all in the past tense, has already happened before this was written.

just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

Note, (a) how this has already happened too, (b) how it's predestined, so that no particular personal merit is attached to it, rather it's very like a lottery ticket (c) how this is Paul's Jesus, who like John's Jesus but unlike the Jesus of Mark, the Jesus of Matthew and the Jesus of Luke, pre-existed in heaven and created the material world very much in the manner of the gnostic demiurge ('craftsman'), (d) chapter 17 of John, which in the gnostic manner conceives of God as immensely pure and immensely remote so that an intermediary between material man and spritual God is needed, in both Paul and John meaning Jesus; thus Jesus is at one with God, the believer is at one with Jesus, and the believer is thus at one with God just as Jesus is. And that there are no restrictions mentioned that might distinguish the believer from the (lower or upper case) elect.

You forget to give me that slave market report.
You really can't handle the awful truth can you, you just keep running but you will sash head on into it but it will be too late.

John 6:44

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Luke 18:7

And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them?

Acts 13:48

And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

John 6:37

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

Titus 1:1

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness,

2 Timothy 1:9

Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Ephesians 1:4

Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love

Romans 8:33

Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.

Colossians 3:12

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,

John 15:16

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

Matthew 24:24

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

1 Timothy 5:21

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels I charge you to keep these rules without prejudging, doing nothing from partiality.

Ephesians 2:1-3

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

2 Timothy 2:10

Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Romans 9:11

Though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls—

Isaiah 42:1 ESV / 21 helpful votes​

Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.

Mark 13:20

And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he shortened the days.

1 Thessalonians 1:4

For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you,

Ephesians 1:5

He predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Matthew 24:22

And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

1 John 2:2

He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Peter 2:6

For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

Mark 13:22

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.

2 Peter 1:10

Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

Romans 11:5

So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.

John 6:39

And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

Revelation 17:14

They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.”

1 Peter 2:9

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

Romans 9:15

For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

1 Peter 2:8

And “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

Romans 9:22

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

John 17:9

I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

Romans 8:30

And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Amos 3:2

“You only have I known of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

Revelation 17:8

The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come.

2 John 1:13

The children of your elect sister greet you.

Romans 9:13

As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

Banach-Tarski Paradox

You really can't handle the awful truth can you, you just keep running but you will sash head on into it but it will be too late.

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them?

And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness,

Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels I charge you to keep these rules without prejudging, doing nothing from partiality.

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls—

Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.

And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he shortened the days.

He predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.

Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.

And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.”

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

And “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

“You only have I known of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.

The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come.

The awful truth is that endless lists of Bible quotes make my head hurt.

I can only assume that you couldn’t find one you really like.

Is that all you can say?:laughing:
It seems that the only answer you can mumble on any counter claim you get (on any subject) is "your theology is completely incoherent and messed up". If you can not answer valid arguments based on the Bible, you might as well not answer at all, otherwise it's sad to present yourself as totally ignorant of scripture.
Whether you accept/like it or not, the fact remains that if Jesus is God, then he was the one who instructed the prophets what to write. And we can all read what they wrote about the Messiah and about the atonement for sin.
You haven't cited any contradictions, just baseless private fantasy. Where did the Prophets fail to recognize the Lord

Great! We don't need faith, don't need works, no judgement day either... ♫ Que sera, sera..♫
You do need them all, I don't need any of those things as the deal is signed sealed ad delivered with me. You're not an Elect Saint so all those things apply to you

Ajax

You haven't cited any contradictions, just baseless private fantasy. Where did the Prophets fail to recognize the Lord
Criteria for Messiah (all supposedly given by God).

1. He must be a Jew (Deut 17:15, Num 24:17) - The only condition fulfilled by Jesus.
2. He must be a direct descendant of King David (Isaiah 11:1) through King Solomon (I Proverbs 22:8-10), only if Solomon kept his faith in God Yahweh (II Chronicles 7 :19) which, however, did not keep finally (1 Kings 11:4).
Jewish royal succession is only though males, but unfortunately Joseph was not his father according to the gospels. Only religion is through females.
3. The Great Sanhedrin (Great Council) will be restored (Isaiah 1:26)
4. Once he is king, the leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)
5. All the world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)
6. The Messiah will be a man of the world, an observant Jew with the "fear of God." He will not be devine. (Isaiah 11:2)
7. Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership. (Isaiah 11:4)
8. The knowledge of God will fill the world. (Isaiah 11:9)
9. He will attract people from all cultures and nations. (Isaiah 11:10)
10. All the Israelites will return to their homeland. (Isaiah 11:12)
11. There will be no more famine or disease, and death will end. (Isaiah 25:8)
12. All the dead will rise. (Isaiah 26:19)
13. The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and rejoicing. (Isaiah 51:11)
14. He will be a messenger of peace. (Isaiah 52:7)
15. The nations will recognize the mistakes they made in Israel. (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)
16. The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance. (Zechariah 8:23)
17. The ruined cities of Israel will be restored. (Ezekiel 16:55)
18. The weapons of war will be destroyed. (Ezekiel 39:9)
19. The Temple will be rebuilt. (Ezekiel 40)
20. The whole world will serve God together. (Zephaniah 3:9)
21. The Jews will know the Torah (Testament), without study. (Jeremiah 31:33)
22. He will take barren land and make it fruitful and abundant. (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).
23. Universal worldwide acceptance of the Jewish God and the Jewish religion (Isaiah 2:3 11:10 66:23 Micah 4:2-3 Zechariah 14:9 Zechariah 8:23)

But if he did not succeed in all this or was killed, he is definitely not the Messiah promised in the Torah and God only appointed him in order to test the masses (Maimonides, Hilchos Melachim 11:4-5).

Now you know why Jesus is not the promised Messiah.

Last edited:

Ajax

You do need them all, I don't need any of those things as the deal is signed sealed ad delivered with me. You're not an Elect Saint so all those things apply to you
No I don't need any, because if people's salvation is predestined in either Heavens or Hell, there is nothing I can do.. ♫ ♪ ♫
As for the deal being signed, sealed and delivered with you...keep dreaming.. It's good for the skin...:laughing:

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Is gobbledygook all you have to offer, come on man you can do better than that. You haven't landed a single blow yet and were already in the ninth round

Say something interesting if you want me to play.

You’re boring me.

And you think we’re boxing?

Weird.

Vive a tu manera - Herencia de Timbiquí ( Video Oficial)​

Bear Wild

Do you have any evidence for that?
You know he does not need evidence. It is all in his extra special bible which holds all the answers to everything without exception. If it is not in his bible it does not exist so I know consciousness exits beyond the limits of the human head but it is evidently not stated in his omniscient book so it cannot exist.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You know he does not need evidence.
To make any positive claim, you need evidence. Unless one is just making things up for no reason. It's irresponsible.

It is all in his extra special bible which holds all the answers to everything without exception. If it is not in his bible it does not exist so I know consciousness exits beyond the limits of the human head but it is evidently not stated in his omniscient book so it cannot exist.
Brother. Even Atheist scholars speak about the "Hard problem of consciousness".

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By all means enjoy your beliefs, and the sense of superiority that they very clearly give you.

Were I a betting man, I'd put up chunky bucks ─ on behalf of my heirs, of course ─ that after we respectively die, no one will be able to distinguish how dead you are from how dead I am.

There is no important distinction in any of the quotes above between ordinary believers in Jesus, and the elect. And nowhere is there any mention at all of the Elect.

By the way, as for the last of your quotes, where exactly is it written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated"? I think Paul may have been having another of his ─ ahm ─ visions when he wrote that.

Oh, and you keep forgetting to give me that slave market report I asked you for.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

By all means enjoy your beliefs, and the sense of superiority that they very clearly give you.

@Charles Philips

Is this true, Charles?

Does your culture have beliefs that give them a sense of superiority, as well?

That’s quite a coincidence, according to certain historians and anthropologists.

Do you have any historical or anthropological sources that document this aspect of your culture.

This is a topic that I find interesting.

Were I a betting man, I'd put up chunky bucks ─ on behalf of my heirs, of course ─ that after we respectively die, no one will be able to distinguish how dead you are from how dead I am.

There is no important distinction in any of the quotes above between ordinary believers in Jesus, and the elect. And nowhere is there any mention at all of the Elect.

By the way, as for the last of your quotes, where exactly is it written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated"? I think Paul may have been having another of his ─ ahm ─ visions when he wrote that.

Oh, and you keep forgetting to give me that slave market report I asked you for.
OK, now you've exposed yourself as a troll, I gave you tons of verses with the "elect" in them but you pretend to be blind. Your actually willfully ignorant and a truth denier. I don't know if there s anything worse.

BTW, I'm never gonna die. I already have eternal life, I have the victory over sin and death and hell. So don't compare me with yourself, we have nothing in common. I pity you

@Charles Philips

Is this true, Charles?

Does your culture have beliefs that give them a sense of superiority, as well?

That’s quite a coincidence, according to certain historians and anthropologists.

Do you have any historical or anthropological sources that document this aspect of your culture.

This is a topic that I find interesting.
I wouldn't describe my culture as having a sense of superiority, as we're not proud of being superior to the colored people. But we see ourselves as blessed because God gave us greater responsibilities. You could look at humanity as an army and we are the Generals, while the colored people are the foot soldiers.

We don't treat the others as inferior, we actually have the burden of accountability. God said, He will demand more form those to whom He gave more, so if we step out of line we get punished much more than the foot soldier. Leadership comes with much more responsibility, so it's not like we can just Lord it over the others, without consequences

There are many passages of scripture which show that God gave us Israelites special privileges and special blessings .

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, now you've exposed yourself as a troll, I gave you tons of verses with the "elect" in them but you pretend to be blind. Your actually willfully ignorant and a truth denier. I don't know if there s anything worse.

BTW, I'm never gonna die. I already have eternal life, I have the victory over sin and death and hell. So don't compare me with yourself, we have nothing in common. I pity you
None of your quotes addressed the point I made, which is that they speak of 'elect' people in the sense of 'chosen' but NONE of them speaks of the Elect, to which you claim to belong, and as I said, there's no distinction there between believers in Jesus and the lower case elect.

So your claim to belong to a special group, distinct from Christianity generally, is entirely unsupported.

And I seem to recall ─ correct me if I'm wrong ─ that you said membership of this group was limited in some way. If that's right, then that too is unsupported by any of your quotes.

And where's that slave market report I asked you for?