• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any supernatural god exist?

Does any supernatural god exist?

• Certainly

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Certainly not

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Certainly don't know

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Presume you are referring to whether some parts of the Bible are literal or metaphorical and not to Biblical Literaslim, i.e. the inerrancy of the Bible.

I believe that a biblical text is to be deciphered according to the ‘plain meaning’ expressed by its linguistic construction, historical context and the peoples' understanding at the time of writing it.
The NT has some metaphorical verses, but I can not say the same for OT. It's as plain as you can get.
If you know of any, please let me know.
As the verse you were speaking about “the sun stood still” - it wasn’t that the sun revolves around the earth but rather just man’s perspective that the sun stood still. (Although the sun does orbit the Milky way - we don’t know if it all stood still or not)

Ajax

As the verse you were speaking about “the sun stood still” - it wasn’t that the sun revolves around the earth but rather just man’s perspective that the sun stood still. (Although the sun does orbit the Milky way - we don’t know if it all stood still or not)
What do you mean about man's perspective that the sun stood still? How can a man see the sun not going down for a whole day? The verse suggests that is literal because it also states "There has been no day like it before or since, when the Lord hearkened to the voice of a man".
The only way to see the sun and the moon stand still, is if the earth stops rotating.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I wouldn't describe my culture as having a sense of superiority, as we're not proud of being superior to the colored people. But we see ourselves as blessed because God gave us greater responsibilities. You could look at humanity as an army and we are the Generals, while the colored people are the foot soldiers.

We don't treat the others as inferior, we actually have the burden of accountability. God said, He will demand more form those to whom He gave more, so if we step out of line we get punished much more than the foot soldier. Leadership comes with much more responsibility, so it's not like we can just Lord it over the others, without consequences

There are many passages of scripture which show that God gave us Israelites special privileges and special blessings .
So your beliefs allow you to be racist? The whites of many nations having a head start over many others, as to education and knowledge, hardly makes them superior. Unless of course you don't see any issues with colonialism and saw such as an inherent right. You might see things differently if you weren't alloyed to such a dogmatic religious belief too.

You are one delusional dude, in my view. :D

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What do you mean about man's perspective that the sun stood still? How can a man see the sun not going down for a whole day? The verse suggests that is literal because it also states "There has been no day like it before or since, when the Lord hearkened to the voice of a man".
The only way to see the sun and the moon stand still, is if the earth stops rotating.
I believe the context was in reference to whether the sun moved around the earth or the earth around the sun.

Ajax

I believe the context was in reference to whether the sun moved around the earth or the earth around the sun.
Well yes, the primitive people who wrote the Bible thought that the sun moves around the earth, but we (and God) know that this is false. So the Joshua verse could not have happened and is fictitious.

Well yes, the primitive people who wrote the Bible thought that the sun moves around the earth, but we (and God) know that this is false. So the Joshua verse could not have happened and is fictitious.

Do you feel superior to your ancestors, whose shoulders you are standing on?

Do you feel superior to your father? How about your mother?

Again no. I may have more knowledge, but they have more experience and probably much more love and compassion for me and others. And that I value it a lot, probably unlike you with your silly questions.

What do you find silliest about my questions?

Which is my questions do you find silliest?

I can’t figure out what you are trying to say.

A cultural clash, perhaps?

Can you please explain the meaning in your culture of this tiny, tiny symbol on my I-phone?

Or at least enlarge it so we can actually see it.

Maybe I can figure it out myself, if I knew what it was.

Last edited:
We don't have any evidence to suggest that any of the others gods exist outside of our imagination.

So, you also agree that only the great Juju at the bottom of the sea is the true God.

Ciao

- viole

He just hasn’t gone to war with them, yet.

He’s just trying to use bravado to establish his culture’s superiority, due to a lack of historical and anthropological evidence.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
IMHO, you are absolutely correct. It exists only with the neurons in brain, although people wrongly believe in a universal consciousness for which there is no evidence.
Please show me evidence of a neuron with consciousness and another without consciousness. Also, please show me evidence of consciousness without a neuron.