• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a true Feminist wear makeup?

Horrorble

No the question is how much should people depend on their looks to be confident? Because it doesn't get many people far.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Au contraire. You must have a beard to be a real man. :D

Well, since I rock the grizz, weigh 152lbs, am 6ft tall and get a regular supply of manly praise from men who eat my body weight in red meat....each meal... and to boot... ....I'm a vegeterian! LOL......you miiiiight be right after all ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Reverend Rick said:
Does a true Feminist wear makeup?

YES!
images

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think women should do what makes them happy, and I have heard that wearing makeup makes them feel pretty or gives them confidence.

The thing is, should you need something to be confident? What does this actually mean to be dependant on a product?

Are lipstick Feminists really true Feminists?

I don't wear makeup all the time. But I do like to wear makeup. I even like to put on a pair of high heels from time to time (and then when they hurt, I take them off).

I look at it this way: When I'm in the mood for it, I do it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A true feminist surely does whatever she wants. Unfortunately we live in a society where women are practically forced to wear make-up into work, as well as short skirts and high heels, probably all to impress the presumably male boss, who'll no doubt enjoy it.

I think the dress code for most office jobs have relaxed a bit given there are more female upper management. You don't have to dress to impress the boss's sexual proclivities anymore and be chased around the desk after lunch to keep your job. Plus, women don't have to dress exactly like men (suit, tie, boxy shoulders) to offer an image of professionalism. More and more office wear gives women the option of wearing administrative and professional polish without looking silly (strictly my opinion, though, when it comes to fashion).

The nice thing is that the more relaxed office fashion has become throughout the years, the more relaxed it has become for men, too. We get to see more polo shirts and pants that don't have to be starched and creased. Women's heels are still offering high stillettos, but not for the office. Professional wear at most suggest closed-toe low heels, which thankfully are becoming more comfortable and less pretentious while still showing a polish to one's appearance.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Of course everyone should have their own style of dress attire and do what feels right and works for them. What I am talking about is self image. Young women starve themselves and are under weight and still see themselves as fat when they look in the mirror.

Women who think they have to pluck their eyebrows and paint their faces. If that gives you pleasure that is fine. What I am talking about is a low self image that dictates to you that YOU MUST do these things even when you would rather not.

dust1n

Zindīq
Out of interest, what do you think of female workplace discrimination against other females? It seems to happen mostly to beautiful younger girls by older less beautiful women, perhaps putting on less make-up for that job interview with the woman might do the job! Girl On Girl Crime: When Being Too Pretty Costs You The Job - Forbes
The Downsides To Looking Pretty: Discrimination Against Beautiful Women | Controversial News, Controversial Current Events | Intentious
Gender Stereotypes: Both Sexes Are Biased Against Women | TIME.com
Female bosses are more likely to discriminate against female employees | C.A.R.D

Nothing about the study implied the "by older less beautiful women."

I like the conclusion..

"So should attractive women simply attach photos that make them look dowdy? No. Better, says Mr Ruffle, to discourage the practice of including a photo altogether. Companies might even consider the anonymous model used in the Belgian public sector, where CVs do not even include the candidate's name."

Physical attractiveness and careers: Don

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
As a Feminist, I raised my daughter not to be dependant on a man for protection, income, or any other thing that might lead them into thinking they must be with someone to be complete,

She was a black belt in high school and never allowed a man to buy her dinner. She still goes dutch when she dates.

My wife has her own money and career and while she cannot kick my butt, she is an excellent marksman.

My daughter wore alot of makeup when she was young, but not so much now. My wife goes through a ritual every morning and I believe she is conditioned to think this is necessesary.

Alceste

Vagabond
As a Feminist, I raised my daughter not to be dependant on a man for protection, income, or any other thing that might lead them into thinking they must be with someone to be complete,

She was a black belt in high school and never allowed a man to buy her dinner. She still goes dutch when she dates.

My wife has her own money and career and while she cannot kick my butt, she is an excellent marksman.

My daughter wore alot of makeup when she was young, but not so much now. My wife goes through a ritual every morning and I believe she is conditioned to think this is necessesary.

Yeah, I used to go Dutch too. It just felt weird letting a guy pay for the whole night out. I felt like I owed him something.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Before my husband and I were dating and were just hanging out as friends, there were no issues about going dutch. Once we started dating, we began scrambling to pay for the meal/movie/outing (it was cute how once the check came to the table how both of us would slam out hands down on top of it to claim ownership of who was going to take care of whom).

It became a sign for us of what was to come. Eventually, we worked out how each of us were to care for each other. :D

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I wear make up.I wear perfume.I wear dresses.I wear high heals.I die my hair now to combat the "grays" LOL>>>I wear jewelry ...I shave..(where ladies traditionally shave)

I also go barefoot in jean shorts and a t-shirt and no bra and no make up and no jewelry and no perfume in "need" of a shave and chase toads and catch lizards in the yard and climb on the roof with my cat and dig in the mud.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I wear make up.I wear perfume.I wear dresses.I wear high heals.I die my hair now to combat the "grays" LOL>>>I wear jewelry ...I shave..(where ladies traditionally shave)

I also go barefoot in jean shorts and a t-shirt and no bra and no make up and no jewelry and no perfume in "need" of a shave and chase toads and catch lizards in the yard and climb on the roof with my cat and dig in the mud.

So basically you dress how you want to dress. :yes:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am understanding that most posters including the OP mean that a feminist is "someone who acts with self-respect w.r.t issues that women face, especially one such as oppression from the opposite sex".

I do not see any reason why wearing make-up has anything to do with the amount of self-respect one is allowed. It (wearing makeup) is similar to i)wanting to establish oneself as educated, polished, well-groomed, ii) wanting to show that one is capable of doing the best in most situations one is capable of handling iii) wanting to show that one is the best. Wearing makeup is one thing a woman wants to reveal herself as beautiful, much akin to wanting to reveal oneself as capable, educated and so forth.

Today's world is competitive and yet another reason why women may wear makeup may be to show they are equally beautiful among other female competitors (such as in a beauty pageant).

Aquitaine

Out of interest, what do you think of female workplace discrimination against other females? It seems to happen mostly to beautiful younger girls by older less beautiful women, perhaps putting on less make-up for that job interview with the woman might do the job! Girl On Girl Crime: When Being Too Pretty Costs You The Job - Forbes
The Downsides To Looking Pretty: Discrimination Against Beautiful Women | Controversial News, Controversial Current Events | Intentious
Gender Stereotypes: Both Sexes Are Biased Against Women | TIME.com
Female bosses are more likely to discriminate against female employees | C.A.R.D

To be honest, sending a photo with a CV/Application seems rather pointless anyway, at least to me.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
And when you all do what you want to and enjoy doing it, that is great. My only point is when you don't really want to do something but feel it is expected, or you think you have to do something to feel like "a real woman" I take issue.

Alceste

Vagabond
I am understanding that most posters including the OP mean that a feminist is "someone who acts with self-respect w.r.t issues that women face, especially one such as oppression from the opposite sex".

I do not see any reason why wearing make-up has anything to do with the amount of self-respect one is allowed. It (wearing makeup) is similar to i)wanting to establish oneself as educated, polished, well-groomed, ii) wanting to show that one is capable of doing the best in most situations one is capable of handling iii) wanting to show that one is the best. Wearing makeup is one thing a woman wants to reveal herself as beautiful, much akin to wanting to reveal oneself as capable, educated and so forth.

Today's world is competitive and yet another reason why women may wear makeup may be to show they are equally beautiful among other female competitors (such as in a beauty pageant).

I guess it's a matter of perception. Unless it's a fancy dress occasion or a highly competitive, public-facing career in something like corporate law or finance where every "edge" makes a difference, I pity women who feel like they need to spend a lot of time on their hair, clothes and make-up before leaving the house. I consider them insecure about their own natural appeal, and overly concerned about it. I think they must be feeling afraid someone might notice their insignificant and superficial - and usually imaginary - flaws. I mean, really, who cares if other people find us visually appealing? Isn't what's going on in our minds way more interesting? I feel like it is in my mind - at least some of the time.

I suppose I can empathize, because the girls in the schools I went to between age 12 and 15 were brutal about every little thing they noticed was "out of place" in other girls' appearance. Hair, teeth, zits, clothes, body - anything, really. I remember I held out for three months not buying acid washed jeans while EVERYBODY wore them because I thought they looked so stupid. Then on the EXACT DAY they went out of fashion I showed up in a brand new pair of acid washed jeans and I was the only one wearing them. Then I was bullied all day for my jeans being "outdated" and never wore them again. I'll tell you, I certainly learned my lesson. I skipped the one sleeved tank top craze completely, and it turns out I was right - they must have looked stupid all along, since they're gone forever now.

Anyway, my point is that life is way too short and too interesting to worry about any of that crap. I wear what I like, do what I like, be who I like. But I have learned to be comfortable with what I look like in the altogether, fresh out of a shower, and now I feel free.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I think it's girls that are doing this to each other. The boys don't care, for the most part. Every girl is beautiful to an adolescent boy.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And when you all do what you want to and enjoy doing it, that is great. My only point is when you don't really want to do something but feel it is expected, or you think you have to do something to feel like "a real woman" I take issue.

To feel like a "real woman"? Yeah I don't wear make up or a dress what have you to feel like a "real woman".

Expected? Well sometimes I will dress in a manner that's "expected".Just like a man.I wouldn't show up to a wedding barefoot in my jean shorts with a dirty t-shirt on and no bra and scraggly hair.I think in fact it would be showing disrespect.I mean if i had a CHOICE.

I think most people also take some sort of comfort on some level 'fitting in".

Just like we all probably adjust our behavior/persona depending on the circumstances/enviroment.

I think deep down for me anyway there is a desire to feel a sense of belonging/or community.Rather than worrying if I am or I'm not a "real woman".

Of course we are all unique individuals but we are social creatures as well.

I think the problem becomes some people put WAY to much importance on outer and can be practically neurotic about it.