• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does a true Feminist wear makeup?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I guess it's a matter of perception. Unless it's a fancy dress occasion or a highly competitive, public-facing career in something like corporate law or finance where every "edge" makes a difference, I pity women who feel like they need to spend a lot of time on their hair, clothes and make-up before leaving the house. I consider them insecure about their own natural appeal, and overly concerned about it. I think they must be feeling afraid someone might notice their insignificant and superficial - and usually imaginary - flaws. I mean, really, who cares if other people find us visually appealing? Isn't what's going on in our minds way more interesting? I feel like it is in my mind - at least some of the time.

I suppose I can empathize, because the girls in the schools I went to between age 12 and 15 were brutal about every little thing they noticed was "out of place" in other girls' appearance. Hair, teeth, zits, clothes, body - anything, really. I remember I held out for three months not buying acid washed jeans while EVERYBODY wore them because I thought they looked so stupid. Then on the EXACT DAY they went out of fashion I showed up in a brand new pair of acid washed jeans and I was the only one wearing them. Then I was bullied all day for my jeans being "outdated" and never wore them again. I'll tell you, I certainly learned my lesson. I skipped the one sleeved tank top craze completely, and it turns out I was right - they must have looked stupid all along, since they're gone forever now.

Anyway, my point is that life is way too short and too interesting to worry about any of that crap. I wear what I like, do what I like, be who I like. But I have learned to be comfortable with what I look like in the altogether, fresh out of a shower, and now I feel free.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I think it's girls that are doing this to each other. The boys don't care, for the most part. Every girl is beautiful to an adolescent boy.

Everything in excess is unworthy. But in moderation, makeup can give a nice feeling inside - afterall, who doesn't want to expose beautiful eyes or a flawless skin, to its fullest benefit?

Ofcourse when done in excess, it becomes a behavior problem and habit forming. And ofcourse, in some professional environments, it may be best to avoid makeup, for example, a cop or a surgeon. Not that they should not wear makeup, but for some reason, it feels like it stands in the way of their duty. But they may wear it also when they are not on duty - afterall, everybody is entitled to life's little joys. :)