• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

• Total voters

Harvster

From my perspective, the Lord gives people the gift of tongues to accomplish a particular purpose.
I would have to agree, there are certain times when God will give that to a person. Not only is it stated in the bible but has also been witnessed by many people.

I don't see any purpose whatsoever in a person suddenly starting to speak a language that was unfamiliar to him unless his doing so would serve to accomplish something.
But it does, it serves as praise to God and self edification.

rocka21

Brother Rock
The apostles spoke in tongues that were already known to some in the world. It was a language. Like, I suppose it would be like someone who had never learned Russian beginnig to speak Russian quite fluently during a service. On the day of Penetecost, the disciples spoke in tongues, and each person heard it in their own language. I'm sure you read it on the site, but I will repeat that by "tongues" they were talking about a language, not gibberish that makes no sense and has no interpreter.

Everyone was the interepeter in a sense, if they all understood the "tongue" or language. Today when people claim to speak in tongues, it cannot be interpreted and no one knows what they are saying.

Shouldn't there ALWAYS be an interpreter present?

Yes. I'm sure both of the writers in the links have, as they are both very educated and have experienced several differant kinds of services, if I'm not mistaken.

No, an interpreter is present if it is a prophecy, not if you are praying in tongues.

this is an ongoing debate about tongues. I know all the baptist and other arguements read from the party line that are taught in seminary. ( which can all be rebuted with scripture).

tongues passed away, Paul said not to, it was languages, etc, etc.

i pray in tongues everyday. i have prophecy in tongues and interpreted, ( under the unction of the holy spirit).

These gifts never passed away, and you don't have to look far to see them.

i would say %90 of the churches that have a program on christian TV speak in tongues.

from Joel osteen to TD jakes.

Pat roberson To John Hagee..... all speak in tongues.

See the azusa street revival:angel2:

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I haven't yet done either, but I'm very new to the whole Pentecostal thing, still getting used to it. I've been with my AG church less than a year, and while they believe in that, they don't push anyone to do it. I believe I will do both, when God wants me to.