• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

• Total voters

RevOxley_501

its always seemed much more intelligent to me, occasionally i interpret, usually after i get interpretation for a tongue i never use it again though?

Doodlebug02

RevOxley_501 said:
its always seemed much more intelligent to me, occasionally i interpret, usually after i get interpretation for a tongue i never use it again though?

Maybe you're talking about speaking in tongues. I think there is a difference.

RevOxley_501

no, prayer and speaking---they are barely different in anything other than volume. I notice patterns and grammatical structure in my own, and some of my friends as well. there are some that i have heard that seem like babbling though

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Holly said:
Well, my pastor taught me how to pray in tongues so I will teach you. Basically you need to be baptised in the Holy Ghost first. Ask your pastor about this. A good Pentecostal pastor will know all about it. Tell him that you want to be baptised in the Holy Ghost. Then, you basically just start babbling and that is praying in tongues. I know it sounds weird but that is how my pastor told me to do it. :)

I've already been baptised in the Holy Spirit, but I didn't think everyone was able to speak in tongues because of the following verses (not trying to debate, just wondering). From what I had been taught, is that we all make up the body of Christ, but we all have different gifts. Regardless, we are obviously supposed to desire this gift as there are many verses that mention us wanting to desire this. Anyway, thanks for the advice :).

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b] 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Doodlebug02

Todd said:
I've already been baptised in the Holy Spirit, but I didn't think everyone was able to speak in tongues because of the following verses (not trying to debate, just wondering). From what I had been taught, is that we all make up the body of Christ, but we all have different gifts. Regardless, we are obviously supposed to desire this gift as there are many verses that mention us wanting to desire this. Anyway, thanks for the advice :).

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b] 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[c] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[d] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

As you can see, it says "speak" in tongues, not pray. Speaking in tongues is a gift that is not given to everyone but praying in tongues is available to everyone who wants it.

Doodlebug02

Terrywoodenpic said:
Do any other Churches beside Pentacostals speak in tongues?
Why do pentecostals do it?
why do others not?

Well, the Word Faith movement speaks/prays in tongues and so do Mormons. Other that I am not sure. The Word Faith movement is a subdivision of the Pentecostal denomination so it is not surprising that they speak/pray in tongues.

The reason that some do not is because they do not believe in it. You can't very easily do something that you don't have faith in I don't think.

RevOxley_501

Terrywoodenpic said:
Do any other Churches beside Pentacostals speak in tongues?
Why do pentecostals do it?
why do others not?

im not a member of a church, i have removed myself nearly completely form all forms of mainstream religion, yet i do pray/speak in tongues.

i did get the practice from a tenure in a pantycostal church though.

Doodlebug02

RevOxley_501 said:
im not a member of a church, i have removed myself nearly completely form all forms of mainstream religion, yet i do pray/speak in tongues.

i did get the practice from a tenure in a pantycostal church though.

You don't have to be a member of a church to pray or speak in tongues. :)

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Not long after being saved, i attended a very big pentecostal church that was doing alpha course and on the course a friend tried to "teach" me how to speak/pray in tongues by saying i should just start talking nonsense and it would come. I just couldnt do it, it was so wrong. You can not be "taught" something that is a gift from God. I do believe in the gift of tongues, as well as many others, but i have never had the pleasure of seeing them used properly.
I was made to feel like i wasnt a proper christian because i couldnt do it, and that seems to be the case in most pentecostal churches ive had the displeasure of attending. If God wants to use me in any way and give me any gift, i am always willing and open to it.

Doodlebug02

porkchop said:
Not long after being saved, i attended a very big pentecostal church that was doing alpha course and on the course a friend tried to "teach" me how to speak/pray in tongues by saying i should just start talking nonsense and it would come. I just couldnt do it, it was so wrong. You can not be "taught" something that is a gift from God. I do believe in the gift of tongues, as well as many others, but i have never had the pleasure of seeing them used properly.
I was made to feel like i wasnt a proper christian because i couldnt do it, and that seems to be the case in most pentecostal churches ive had the displeasure of attending. If God wants to use me in any way and give me any gift, i am always willing and open to it.

I disagree but I do not wish to debate. I am not trying to start a debate but I do believe you can be taught.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with this.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Holly said:
I disagree but I do not wish to debate. I am not trying to start a debate but I do believe you can be taught.

Yea, i thought youd disagree, i understand this is not a debate section so wont go into it any further.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with this.

Ah well, God pulled me out of it and these experiences help me not to be easily decieved and to learn from it.

Doodlebug02

porkchop said:
Yea, i thought youd disagree, i understand this is not a debate section so wont go into it any further.

Ah well, God pulled me out of it and these experiences help me not to be easily decieved and to learn from it.

It is good that you have learned from your experiences. We should all learn from our experiences. Unfortunately, not everybody does.

Doodlebug02

Terrywoodenpic said:
Thanks for directing me to the OCRT site.. did not know it existed... it seems to have the same characteristics on religion as this site.
They had some useful stuff on tongues.

You're welcome. The OCRT site is very good and unbiased. I like it for this reason. It provides tons of information on just about any religion topic you can think of.