• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

• Total voters

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I neither speak nor pray "in tongues"...............

I do sometimes "defragment my brain" as my family call it, by talking in unintelligible rubbish that sounds remarkably like english spoken backwards - I tend to do that when I am stressed.. :help:

Doodlebug02

michel said:
I neither speak nor pray "in tongues"...............

I do sometimes "defragment my brain" as my family call it, by talking in unintelligible rubbish that sounds remarkably like english spoken backwards - I tend to do that when I am stressed.. :help:

That is very interesting. :D

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I have never done either, it was something that I earnestly desired and prayed for as a new Christian and though I have had many wonderful experiences this has never been one of them, obviously it was not God's will for me.

Doodlebug02

*Paul* said:
I have never done either, it was something that I earnestly desired and prayed for as a new Christian and though I have had many wonderful experiences this has never been one of them, obviously it was not God's will for me.

Well you never know. He may choose to give you the gift in the future. :) I personally do not believe that everyone has to speak in tongues in order to be saved like some Pentecostals believe.

RevOxley_501

i do both, however i do not do either in public, they are a private matter and do not belong in the public in MOST cases.

usually i ONLY pray in tongues, i very rarely pray in english for some reason---i used to alot but now i just feel wrong about praying in english--as if i am being selfish and praying for htings i want.

Doodlebug02

RevOxley_501 said:
i do both, however i do not do either in public, they are a private matter and do not belong in the public in MOST cases.

usually i ONLY pray in tongues, i very rarely pray in english for some reason---i used to alot but now i just feel wrong about praying in english--as if i am being selfish and praying for htings i want.

That's cool. I have a question about praying in tongues that maybe you or someone else can answer. When I pray in tongues, I have no idea what I am saying or praying about. Is this normal? :confused:

RevOxley_501

Holly said:
That's cool. I have a question about praying in tongues that maybe you or someone else can answer. When I pray in tongues, I have no idea what I am saying or praying about. Is this normal? :confused:

yes it is normal

there is a passage in the Bible that says "we pray the things that we know not"...and thats my understanding---i am praying for things i dont yet know or understand, and hopefully the things i pray are from God...at the very least, i know i am not praying out of my own flesh/

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Holly said:
Well you never know. He may choose to give you the gift in the future. :) I personally do not believe that everyone has to speak in tongues in order to be saved like some Pentecostals believe.

If God so wills then who am i to resist? It doesn't bother me now as I am sure of His love towards me and acceptance of me through His beautiful Son.

I have met Pentecostals who believe you must speak in tongues to be saved or as a sure sign that you are Spirit filled / baptised in the Holy ghost. I grew up in a Pentecostal Church and have seen it all, I've met faith healers and even went to see Reihnard Bonkee twice. After I got saved it was straight (after a couple of months) to a Pentecostal i went and I also did the Alpha course twice ( :eek: ).

RevOxley_501

*Paul* said:
If God so wills then who am i to resist? It doesn't bother me now as I am sure of His love towards me and acceptance of me through His beautiful Son.

I have met Pentecostals who believe you must speak in tongues to be saved or as a sure sign that you are Spirit filled / baptised in the Holy ghost. I grew up in a Pentecostal Church and have seen it all, I've met faith healers and even went to see Reihnard Bonkee twice. After I got saved it was straight (after a couple of months) to a Pentecostal i went and I also did the Alpha course twice ( :eek: ).

you sound like me lol

cept i never did alpha (before my time) and reinhard bonke should say "benny hinn or creflo dollar"

but i dont consider them pentecostals, i consider them to be Word of Faith

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Holly said:

I'm not sure about when you are on your own but in a public meeting it should be understood by everyone:

1Cor 14v9: So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
1Cor 14v10: There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
1Cor 14v11: Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Cor 14v12: Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1Cor 14v13: Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Cor 14v14: For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Cor 14v15: What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Cor 14v16: Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1Cor 14v18: I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
1Cor 14v19: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
RevOxley_501 said:
you sound like me lol

cept i never did alpha (before my time) and reinhard bonke should say "benny hinn or creflo dollar"
You never missed anything but cynical attempts at ecumenism and a manifestations more in line with kundalini than anything found in the bible.

but i dont consider them pentecostals, i consider them to be Word of Faith
At the time there wasn't really a difference at least not that I knew of. The church I ended up at after becoming a Christian was definatly word of faith and is one of the biggest in England. Praise the Lord for His deliverance from that.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
You know only recently i went to a church that claimed to be pentecostal. What do I find when I go in there, people shaking on the floor like they just ate a jellyfish and women howling like beasts. Repetative songs and the preacher comparing God to a bartender. Oh Lord come quickly.

RevOxley_501

*Paul* said:
RevOxley_501 said:
you sound like me lol

You never missed anything but cynical attempts at ecumenism and a manifestations more in line with kundalini than anything found in the bible.

At the time there wasn't really a difference at least not that I knew of. The church ended up at after becoming a Christian was definatly word of faith and is one of the biggest in England. Praise the Lord for His deliverance from that.

haha, i was delivered as well---Praise God for that...

and im sure i didnt miss anything from alpha course lol

Doodlebug02

*Paul* said:

I have met Pentecostals who believe you must speak in tongues to be saved or as a sure sign that you are Spirit filled / baptised in the Holy ghost. I grew up in a Pentecostal Church and have seen it all, I've met faith healers and even went to see Reihnard Bonkee twice. After I got saved it was straight to a Pentecostal i went and I also did the Alpha course twice ( :eek: ).

Ah I see. I was raised Southern Baptist and was introduced to a Pentecostal church I think first when my Mom took us to a Pentecostal revival service that she had been invited to. It was wild. People were doing cartwheels, jumping up and down, screaming, and just generally acting crazy. Needless to say, I was quite freaked out and I think my Mom was too. I'm lucky that this first impression of a Pentecostal Church did not affect me permanently. I also remember another time that went to a Pentecostal service and the preacher yelled so loud his face was bright red. I didn't like that very well at all. Later on a few years down the road, I found a Pentecostal Church that wasn't crazy (yes the people yell a little and even jump up and down) but it was just tame enough that I liked it. The music was great, the service contemporary, and the sermons easy to understand (albeit long) and so I decided to get baptised there. After that I became a Catholic but admittedly I feel like I made a wrong choice in doing that and just recently started going back to my Pentecostal Church again.

Doodlebug02

*Paul* said:
You know only recently i went to a church that claimed to be pentecostal. What do I find when I go in there, people shaking on the floor like they just ate a jellyfish and women howling like beasts. Repetative songs and the preacher comparing God to a bartender. Oh Lord come quickly.

Wow. Believe me when I say you need to try a different Pentecostal service. Not all Pentecostal services are like that. I'd venture to say that most aren't.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Holly said:
Do you speak or pray in tongues.

Speaking and praying in tongues is an area of spirituality I know very little about. It seems quite fascinating. I wish I knew more.

Doodlebug02

Sunstone said:
Speaking and praying in tongues is an area of spirituality I know very little about. It seems quite fascinating. I wish I knew more.

Here is acouple of links that should help you to learn more:

http://christianity.about.com/od/glossary/g/baptismholyspir.htm

http://christianity.about.com/od/glossary/g/speakingtongues.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_in_tongues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_of_tongues

http://www.religioustolerance.org/tongues.htm

Hope this helps!

Doodlebug02

Todd said:
No, but wish I did.

Well, my pastor taught me how to pray in tongues so I will teach you. Basically you need to be baptised in the Holy Ghost first. Ask your pastor about this. A good Pentecostal pastor will know all about it. Tell him that you want to be baptised in the Holy Ghost. Then, you basically just start babbling and that is praying in tongues. I know it sounds weird but that is how my pastor told me to do it. :)