• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

Do you speak or pray in tongues?

• Total voters

Doodlebug02

RevOxley_501 said:
i see the tongues vs no tongues, the tongues are in the minority, according to the poll here

They more than likely are the minority throughout the world as well. However, the Pentecostal movement is rapidly growing and with such growth will come more tongues speakers/prayers.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Holly said:
They more than likely are the minority throughout the world as well. However, the Pentecostal movement is rapidly growing and with such growth will come more tongues speakers/prayers.

So only Pentecostals can experience this? I'm not trying to start a debate, but I'm curious.

RevOxley_501

no i think she means that the pantycostal movement is growing (which it is) and the Word of Faith movement is growing as well

i dont think she was being exclusivistic

Doodlebug02

beckysoup61 said:
So only Pentecostals can experience this? I'm not trying to start a debate, but I'm curious.

No, any born again Christian can pray in tongues. Any born again Christian who is given the gift can speak in tongues. What I was saying is that because the Pentecostal movement is growing rapidly, there will also be a rapid growth of tongues speakers/prayers because tongues speakers/prayers are more common in the Pentecostal family of Christians.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Holly said:
No, any born again Christian can pray in tongues. Any born again Christian who is given the gift can speak in tongues. What I was saying is that because the Pentecostal movement is growing rapidly, there will also be a rapid growth of tongues speakers/prayers because tongues speakers/prayers are more common in the Pentecostal family of Christians.

So I have to be a born-again Christian and not a regular Christian? I'm sorry if this sounds argumentative, it's not, I'm just trying to see who fits into the realm of 'speaking and praying in toungues'.

Doodlebug02

beckysoup61 said:
So I have to be a born-again Christian and not a regular Christian? I'm sorry if this sounds argumentative, it's not, I'm just trying to see who fits into the realm of 'speaking and praying in toungues'.

You can be a regular Christian I am sure.

FFH

Veteran Member
I neither speak in tongues nor pray in tongues and I've never heard of a modern day LDS member speaking in tongues but I've had, just recently, someone pray over me and speak in tongues through a non-denominational prayer line, not expecting that to happen but it did. It was a neat unexpected experience and a partial interpretation was given, or at least what I thought was an interpretation, so I could to understand what was being said in tongues.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both had experiences with speaking and praying in tongues, but it is all but disappeared from the church today.

Doodlebug02

FFH said:
I neither speak in tongues nor pray in tongues and I've never heard of a modern day LDS member speaking in tongues but I've had, just recently, someone pray over me and speak in tongues through a non-denominational prayer line, not expecting that to happen but it did. It was a neat unexpected experience and a partial interpretation was given, or at least what I thought was an interpretation, so I could to understand what was being said in tongues.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both had experiences with speaking and praying in tongues, but it is all but disappeared from the church today.

Ah okay. I did not know this. Thank you for the information! :)

RevOxley_501

FFH said:

im curious to know what you called a nondenom prayer line for

do tell if you like?!?1

FFH

Veteran Member
RevOxley_501 said:
im curious to know what you called a nondenom prayer line for

do tell if you like?!?1
I felt I needed a non-biased person, someone who didn't know me, to pray over me, and possibly give me a different perspective of my particular situation, other than what those around me were giving me. I had been struggling with doubts about the way my life was headed and it was getting harder and harder to stay positive. Just needed someone other than those around me to pray for me. I felt it would help me with my faith, give me strength, and encourage me and it did.

We are all in the same body of Christ and can help each other out where needed, especially by praying for one another.

I think it's important to step outside our particular faith sometimes and allow others to pray for us regardless of their particular Christian background, if just to give ourselves another perspective.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Holly said:
Wow. Believe me when I say you need to try a different Pentecostal service. Not all Pentecostal services are like that. I'd venture to say that most aren't.
The pentecostal church I grew up in was doctrinally sound for a while, they adhered to the commands of scripture on how we are to conduct ourselves when we meet together and on how the gifts and for what purpose the gifts of the Spirit were used. Then something happened, men started coming in who were no longer speaking of heaven but about the world, no longer setting your affection on things above but instead you can have it all now. No longer was the bible the sole rule for deciding church practice but God was doing a new thing that He wanted everyone to get on board with. Hymns were being used less and less and replaced with shallow repetative hypnotic choruses. Those who questioned things got called dividers, pharisees and generally people who were not Spirit filled.
Teachings came in wherby it was claimed that as faith is the force that God used to create the world we can now tap into that same power and speak into being the things that we want, you just had to get a right vision of it and have faith in your faith, (Yongi cho).
And worst of all the Toronto experience I can't think of another so called move of the Spirit that has caused so much division in modern days as this, this was the straw that broke the camels back and has infected most pentecostalism in the U.K. My family (I was 12) and some others left that church in protest.
I praise God for the few biblical teachers that stood against these errors even when it meant personal loss, their reward is surely in heaven as they turned many to righteosuness.

I tell you now if I could find a pentecostal church that submitted to the authority of the teachings of Jesus and the apostles i would go to it.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
beckysoup61 said:

No Becky and it also happens in other religions and the occult.

Bishka

Veteran Member
*Paul* said:
No Becky and it also happens in other religions and the occult.

So how do you determine if it's of the 'occult' kind or not? Trust your judgement? :confused:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
beckysoup61 said:
So how do you determine if it's of the 'occult' kind or not? Trust your judgement? :confused:

Well i guess it's in whose name you do it in if you are praying to the God of the bible then it would not be occultic. Also if the interpretation of it is not contradictory to Gods word, that would definatly not be from the Holy SPirit, therefore would be of the flesh or a decieving spirit. My point was that is not in itself a proof of Godly spirituality and has been a bridge (not that this concerns you) in ecumenism.

Doodlebug02

*Paul* said:
The pentecostal church I grew up in was doctrinally sound for a while, they adhered to the commands of scripture on how we are to conduct ourselves when we meet together and on how the gifts and for what purpose the gifts of the Spirit were used. Then something happened, men started coming in who were no longer speaking of heaven but about the world, no longer setting your affection on things above but instead you can have it all now. No longer was the bible the sole rule for deciding church practice but God was doing a new thing that He wanted everyone to get on board with. Hymns were being used less and less and replaced with shallow repetative hypnotic choruses. Those who questioned things got called dividers, pharisees and generally people who were not Spirit filled.
Teachings came in wherby it was claimed that as faith is the force that God used to create the world we can now tap into that same power and speak into being the things that we want, you just had to get a right vision of it and have faith in your faith, (Yongi cho).
And worst of all the Toronto experience I can't think of another so called move of the Spirit that has caused so much division in modern days as this, this was the straw that broke the camels back and has infected most pentecostalism in the U.K. My family (I was 12) and some others left that church in protest.
I praise God for the few biblical teachers that stood against these errors even when it meant personal loss, their reward is surely in heaven as they turned many to righteosuness.

I tell you now if I could find a pentecostal church that submitted to the authority of the teachings of Jesus and the apostles i would go to it.

I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.