• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you regret studying what you ended up studying?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I try not to do regret. One makes what one thinks is the right decision at the time. Regarding uni, I took Psychology because it was the most interesting subject to me at the time. It's probably helped me vocationally along the way in my life, but I didn't choose it for any vocational reason.
I was disappointed with Psycology when I studied it

I hated all the stats stuff, such as SPSS and have since forgotten all I learnt

I'd have liked to learn more about the mind and less about psychology

I only got a 2:2 on my psychology module, my overall result was a 2:1

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure there's any such thing as a house-husband.

Not in my view ;)

Sex roles, damnit, eh? Modern folk won't have it!
My grandma met a house husband. She was dead set 'that's not approriate'... until she saw how good he was with the kids, and how happy the family was, and she admitted she didn't understand but decided she approved.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I hated all the stats stuff, such as SPSS and have since forgotten all I learnt
Stats is a surprisingly rewarding subject when studied for its own sake. When it's a bunch of dull routines and formulas plucked from the air it is about as miserable a things as there is to learn.

Also, SPSS :eek:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My grandma met a house husband. She was dead set 'that's not approriate'... until she saw how good he was with the kids, and how happy the family was, and she admitted she didn't understand but decided she approved.

Yeah I've thought about being an SAHD, but that's on account of I missed not having my own dad around as a kid and teen because he worked multiple jobs to support us..

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I disliked studying subjects that bored me, which wound up being most orthodox studies.

I wound up studying topics I found interesting and relevant to my path. I still find myself learning new things and studying them.

Nimos

When I was doing my degree I did mostly social science and a bit of philosophy and psychology

I chose these as I find them interesting

I now wish I'd have studied maybe computer science or biology

But to be able to do those at university I'd have had to do different subjects at college
I don't regret it, since I have a lot of interest in it (computer science).

But if I could go back and change I think I would have gone for being a policeman and eventually an investigator/detective, not sure what they are called in English, but someone that solves murder cases etc.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not sure there's any such thing as a house-husband.

Not in my view ;)

Sex roles, damnit, eh? Modern folk won't have it!
There is definitely such a thing IMO - I was a house-husband for six years. What do you think I was? Why can't there be such a thing as a house husband? Is it "woman's work" while the bread winner is out?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No. I never did use my chemistry degrees but the science orientation has proven valuable to me over the years. Similarly I wound up working with computers but my psychology degree was useful personally and helped me understand organizational issues.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You won't forget seeing me in my sexy little apron.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope, not even remotely.

If anything, I regret living in a culture where one cannot simply major in everything and have a society that supports you when doing so.

Druidry as a religion, plus working at a university, is the next best thing, I suppose. I get paid to be a nerd. Sort of.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

When I was doing my degree I did mostly social science and a bit of philosophy and psychology

But to be able to do those at university I'd have had to do different subjects at college
Mine was a trade where I had studied and trained to be a tractor trailer operator for which I've done for over a decade, but because of my health I cannot do my job anymore not because I can't legally drive, I can, but it's because people are just not going to hire somebody who have two heart attacks even if their cardiologist says it's perfectly safe for him to still operate a tractor trailer on the highway.
Long story short. I'm through, I cannot do my trade anymore because people don't want to hire somebody with heart attacks in their medical history regardless of assurances by cardiologist along with a letter with his signature.

So yeah, even though I achieved my lifelong dream of being a trucker, I regret it.

If I had only known, I would have stayed in college and completed my degree.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
There is definitely such a thing IMO - I was a house-husband for six years. What do you think I was? Why can't there be such a thing as a house husband? Is it "woman's work" while the bread winner is out?
I had a Common-law House-husband for a few years. It was great except for how he used the house for his own enjoyment while I was at work. But it was always clean and supper prepared when I got home, so great concept. Just poor execution with that one. LOL

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I have not, but I am lucky in that way.
I originally wanted to study physics or chemistry but ended up with Mechanical Engg as I was getting better colleges and scholarship. There were parts of the subject that did not appeal to me ( machining, manufacturing etc) but I specialized on parts that did (thermodynamics, energy, fluids) and that turned out to be an excellent choice. My current work on energy technology and climate science was what I wanted to do from the physics side, but came to the same goal from mechanical engg side.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

I got my degrees in the subject I'm passionate about. Nature and biology. I loved and was interested in nature since childhood and had parents that encouraged that. But that isn't all I'm about. When I was an undergrad and to a lesser extent in graduate school, I took courses in subjects that interested me. Creative writing, transportation systems, history, literature, philosophy and even a pharmacology class.

What other job is there where you get paid to play with insects that you used to do for free and fun? Entomology!