• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you make sport bets?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've not made any sports bets for a long-long time. I never did win anything.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't.

For any sports where I'm knowledgeable enough to bet intelligently, I'm also too biased to bet intelligently.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever won something?

I used to get into football betting pools with friends and co-workers. I think I won once or twice. It wasn't a very large pool, about 15-20 people pitching in $5 apiece.

I've never gone to a bookie or made a bet at a sports parlor. That's where I would draw the line.

Decades ago, a friend dragged me down to the dog track, which I hated. I lost every race I bet on. After learning more about how badly the dogs are treated, I never went back.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Have you ever won something?

Just office football pool. They encouraged people to join to make the pool bigger. I think I had it won until the last 30 seconds of the game. Last few seconds, I lost whatever the pool was $400-$500.

Big let down, haven't bet since.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't make sports best.

The only thing I have every won was a gift certificate for a dozen banana splits for winning a frisbee throwing contest in accuracy and distance. I gave it away to the other contestants. A dog won the frisbee catching contest.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope.

As a scientist I consider betting, from a statistical point of view, to be an almost sure way to lose money and thus consider it a mug's game. I have never understood the appeal of it.
I have not done it either, but it can be fun in an office if everybody is in. People like to argue that they were just a tiny bit closer to being right than person X. Also if their favorite gets beaten by team A then they will start rooting for team A, unless they have publicly declared hatred for team A. If they hate team A then they have to pretend not to root for team A while secretly rooting for it, because the better team A does the better their favorite will look when all is done (since team A beat their favorite).

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Nope.

As a scientist I consider betting, from a statistical point of view, to be an almost sure way to lose money and thus consider it a mug's game. I have never understood the appeal of it.
“But...but...somebody’s going to win!” Lol.

Greyscale

Just office football pool. They encouraged people to join to make the pool bigger. I think I had it won until the last 30 seconds of the game. Last few seconds, I lost whatever the pool was $400-$500.

Big let down, haven't bet since.

Yeah, that often happens.

Sensor

Yes, I'm a competitive person in general and I like sport too, especially football and tennis.
I became interested in these types of sport because of my parents' influence and I still like to play them with my friends and watch matches too, especially the football ones. My favourite teams are Flamengo (Brazil) and Chelsea (England) and I adore to cheer for them during the matches and make bets mobile-br.net/ on them sometimes too. I was lucky to win in them a couple of times, I got different amounts of money, my biggest prize was $140. But it's gambling so you can't always win and that' I was really satisfied with that.