• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like your given name?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Most people I know don't like their names. I'm okay with mine (Kathryn Ann). It's not my favorite, but it could be a lot worse.

Also, do any of you commonly go by your middle name as opposed to your first name? My husband does, as does my sister and my daughter.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I like my name.

I can go by a few different variations of Rebecca
  • Rebecca
  • Becky
  • Beck
  • Becca
  • Reba (I would never use this one)
My middle name is also that way, my dad said they named me that so I could have several different names to pick from if I wanted to.

Several of my roomates went by their middle name:

Dorthea Brooke
Deborah Allison
Brianna Justine

Circle_One

I actually just recently started to like my given name (Joanna), however I still don't go by it all the time. I use it as a stage name (Joanna Jaguar), but most commonly I'm known by everyone as an old nickname, Blayze. I respond to either though.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
my actual name is Michael, which i don't mind, but i'd love to have been named Vincent :drool:

Mike is what people commonly call me, it's short and snappy, but i sign with my full name, as it flows a lot better on paper .... that makes sense to me, at least ;)

standing_alone

I don't mind my given name (Alyssa Anne), I guess. I get frustrated with my first name now and then because people often mistake me for saying my name is Melissa or if I'm in the same class as a Melissa, it's easy to cause confusion. But my mom wanted to name me Brittany, so I could have ended up with a hell of a lot worse name. :D My middle name is kind of bland and boring, but since it was chosen to "honor" my dad's sister that died as a child from the measles, I guess it's kind of nice for that sake.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
standing_alone said:
I don't mind my given name (Alyssa Anne), I guess. I get frustrated with my first name now and then because people often mistake me for saying my name is Melissa or if I'm in the same class as a Melissa, it's easy to cause confusion. But my mom wanted to name me Brittany, so I could have ended up with a hell of a lot worse name. :D My middle name is kind of bland and boring, but since it was chosen to "honor" my dad's sister that died as a child from the measles, I guess it's kind of nice for that sake.
Yeah, Ann (my middle name) and Anne are kind of "boring." But at least not ugly.

Draka

Wonder Woman
My name is...okay. My family calls me by my whole first name, Jennifer. Most my friends and co-workers and Tim call me Jen. Which I kind of prefer. Though, I think I could just as easily legally change my name to Draka and be happy. Most everyone I know both online and off know I go by that name as well.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Well, I don't hate my given name (Joshua Paul), but I'm not overly fond of it, either.

I don't dislike it enough to put the effort into changing it, but I do often wish I'd gotten something better :p

jewscout

Religious Zionist
when i was growing up i didn't like my name, but now i really do : )

i mean, who else in the world is named "Huff":sarcastic

evearael

I'm happy with my name. I have a strange first name and a hopelessly boring middle name. My parents were hippies and my first name is numerologically equivalent to John Lennon's name. It was the only name my father didn't veto. I haven't a clue where they got my middle name. My husband goes by his middle name because he's a third and we are currently debating what to call our first son, who would be a fourth. I tend to prefer traditional names and names that honor our heritage and history.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I like my name, Amy Elizabeth. I liked 'Elizabeth' so much that's my daughter's middle name. :p I must say though, that I hated it until 3rd grade when I could finally spell it. I've always liked 'Amy', it's short and to the point - kinda like me. :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maize said:
I like my name, Amy Elizabeth. I liked 'Elizabeth' so much that's my daughter's middle name. :p I must say though, that I hated it until 3rd grade when I could finally spell it. I've always liked 'Amy', it's short and to the point - kinda like me. :D

Hey! We both have the same middle name. :yes::D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My father was William Terence but known as Terry
I am Terence Anthony, as a boy I was known as Anthony (in full)
As an adult I am known as Terry ( people found is less confusing)
As to liking them... I'm kind of used to them.

CDRaider

I don't like my name. :no: Its Christina Marie. I mean first off, how unorigional can you get??? Lol, secondly... Marie is so run of the mill.

The true reason I don't like my first name is because its mistakable. I get

*Christine
*Christin
*Kristin
*Kristina
*Kristine
*Kristy
Ect... ect...ect

P.S.-:cheese: I'm in the mood for cheese.

It gets aggrivating. I've sworn never to name any future children with a name that is easily misspelled or misspoken.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Overall, I like my name.

I'm proud that it's very distinctly Islamic at a time when most parents gave their children religiously-benign, communist names. I'm pleased that my family spell it in its old-fashioned form (Djamila) instead of the more common, modern equivalent (Dzemila).

I like the most common nickname that comes from it, Mila (Me-la), which is what most of my relatives and friends call me.

The one thing I don't like is that when a Bosnian meets a Muslim woman named "Mila", they automatically assume her full name is the very common, Muslim name Amila - which I do not like at all.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Meh, my name is kind of boring....Rhonda Marie. I would much rather have the name I gave my daughter, Lauren Arielle. :)