• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like dandelions?I do.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Do you like dandelions?I do.:)

Absolutely. I made jelly out of a bunch of them last year.

IMG20220424152441.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
Dumb question, but what do Americans call jelly?

Is it Jello?
Buggered if I know. Ask an American. :D

About the only jelly I make use of is redcurrant jelly, as a condiment with roast lamb. I don't count the jellylike matrix of my ham and parsley terrine, which involves dissolving gelatine in ham stock, pouring over the ingredients and letting it set in the fridge.

(I have been known to serve surplus jellied stock from this, set, in glasses, as an appetiser - it's rather nice. I sometimes wonder if I could do it 2 stages, set the first layer, put a peeled quail's egg or something in, then pour over some more and let that set round it, in the hope that it would produce an egg magically suspended in jelly. But I've never got round to it.)

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Dumb question, but what do Americans call jelly?

Is it Jello?

Nope. Jelly is jam with all the seeds and crap filtered out. But it seems to be a catch all for jam. My Mrs calls it a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when she uses raspberry conserve.

I do know it's considered rude to say to a woman, "must be jelly 'cause jam don't shake like that".... learnt that one the hard way.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What do Americans call the desert food though??

The stuff you make frog in a pond from?

The stuff you absolutely can't spread on a peanut butter sandwich....

images

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do know it's considered rude to say to a woman, "must be jelly 'cause jam don't shake like that".... learnt that one the hard way.

'Must be jelly cos jam don't shake' is almost a compliment in basketball, popularised by ESPN commentators for when someone makes a shifty dribbling move and gets past their opponent.

So female basketballers you might be able to get away with it. At least while they are on court...lol.

Check out the classic commentary, about 25 seconds into the clip.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Surely America is proof of polytheism. No way y'all got created by the same dude as the rest of us.

Well, you asked about desert food, so those were a few suggestions I thought of. Although I think the Sonoran Desert (where I live) may be a bit spicier than the Mohave Desert.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
'Must be jelly cos jam don't shake' is almost a compliment in basketball, popularised by ESPN commentators for when someone makes a shifty dribbling move and gets past their opponent.

So female basketballers you might be able to get away with it. At least while they are on court...lol.

Check out the classic commentary, about 25 seconds into the clip.

I need to watch a copy that has English sub titles.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
They are an alien species where I am and considered a weed, but I'm OK with them generally.

You can eat the greens and make tea and wine from them.

As long as they don't grow in the cracks of the pavement, I can live with them.