• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like dandelions?I do.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I do! I love them! One of my favorites! Perhaps only second to petunias...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
latest

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I like plants that have interesting names in foreign languages -- names that can also serve as personal names.

"Dandelion" doesn't seem to make a good personal name, unless you split it into "Dan DeLion."

The German word for dandelion makes a pretty good surname: "Lowenzahn."

A Spanish word for dandelion is "Amargon" and that sounds pretty cool for a boy's name in some fantasy novel.

An Italian word for dandelion is "Radichiella" which I think sounds kind of pretty for a girl's name.

And a Turkish term for dandelion is "Kara Hindiba" which also makes for a pretty girl's name.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Do you like dandelions?I do.:)
Yes, except in a lawn, where they are a perishing nuisance.

The French call it pissenlit, on account of its diuretic effect, but still are happy to use it in salads. Dandelion comes from the old French name dent-de-lion, lion's tooth, on account of the shape of the leaves. Children love to play with dandelion clocks, blowing the seed heads, the number of puffs required supposedly telling the time - a great way to spread the things over the garden actually, so not a practice popular with gardeners. They are hard to remove on account of the long tap root that tends to break off and stay behind when you try to pull them up - have to be dug out. But they are jolly flowers and a sign of summer.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love them in the fields left fallow, a sea of golden yellow.

I hate them in the courtyard.

And the seeds are dreadful

I understand they (the dandelion roots) also make a passable coffee substitute

exchemist

Veteran Member
I like plants that have interesting names in foreign languages -- names that can also serve as personal names.

"Dandelion" doesn't seem to make a good personal name, unless you split it into "Dan DeLion."

The German word for dandelion makes a pretty good surname: "Lowenzahn."

A Spanish word for dandelion is "Amargon" and that sounds pretty cool for a boy's name in some fantasy novel.

An Italian word for dandelion is "Radichiella" which I think sounds kind of pretty for a girl's name.

And a Turkish term for dandelion is "Kara Hindiba" which also makes for a pretty girl's name.
I wouldn't try the French name if I were you.:D

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't try the French name if I were you.:D

Ha! Any name that means "pee in the bed" is not my idea of a good personal name. :D But there's another French word for dandelion that would probably make a good surname: "Dent-de-lion." The "lion's tooth" translations work for me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like them. They're such happy little flowers. :D

In Sanskrit the name would probably be सिंहदन्त siṃhadaṃṣṭra, lion-toothed (simha=lion, danta=tooth).