• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you know your Religion is true?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Tell me about your Deities

The deities of my pantheon can be experienced and embraced by theists or atheists alike; what is most important is to understand their archetype within one's pantheon, their most prominent attributes, and how those attributes embodied by these deities can affect one's life in ways that help one fulfill one's goals and ambitions.

The inspiration and motivation of a goddess of war and wisdom will naturally accelerate one's ability to grow in these things, by acting as a driving force behind one's training in athletics and strategy, and desire to understand human Nature. This driving force will encourage one to push one's limits, rise when one has been defeated, begin again when one has given up, consider more strategic options rather than relying on the most direct approach during a conflict, and to do what is required for one to achieve what one Wills to achieve. (These things reflect my experiences with the most prominent goddess in my life.)

At the beginning of the Iliad, when Paris was told to choose between Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite, and chose Aphrodite... he was prioritizing something involving love, erotic passion and beauty over prowess in battle, strategy, and wisdom. He was prioritizing something involving love, erotic passion and beauty over political prowess and wealth. One in his position today might be sacrificing athletic or military opportunities (Athena) and political or financial opportunities (Hera) to pursue opportunities involving love, erotic passion, etc. (Aphrodite). As such, this story can be relatable whether one is theistic or atheistic... these gods can potentially be understood and experienced in various ways whether one is theistic or atheistic.

I have evolved and at times syncretized deities and deific archetypes in ways that are relevant to my life and Weltanschauung in today's world. My pantheon however draws more from the deities of ancient Mesopotamia and Abrahamic lore, rather than Hellenic mythology. These mythologies were born in the desert, as I was, and thrived in the desert, as I have; as such they tend to be more useful and meaningful.

Last edited by a moderator:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
But what if your eyes played tricks on you?! :p
But I also hear and touch and smell and taste and experience heat and cold, and bodily position, and so much more. And then, the sum of experiences cannot be tricked (except maybe by a really good magician, like David Copperfield)!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If the answer is "yes", how do you know?

Yes. Because Im here and I met my grandmothers and have confirmation of their daily interaction with me, my family, and spirits in general. I had literal interactions and communicate with them daily. Thats how I know. They give me foundation. Not knowing my origin makes me at lost. The more I learn, thr more I know. Its not spiritual. Its fact.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The deities of my pantheon can be experienced and embraced by theists or atheists alike; what is most important is to understand their archetype within one's pantheon, their most prominent attributes, and how those attributes embodied by these deities can affect one's life in ways that help one fulfill one's goals and ambitions.

The inspiration and motivation of a goddess of war and wisdom will naturally accelerate one's ability to grow in these things, by acting as a driving force behind one's training in athletics and strategy, and desire to understand human Nature. This driving force will encourage one to push one's limits, rise when one has been defeated, begin again when one has given up, consider more strategic options rather than relying on the most direct approach during a conflict, and to do what is required for one to achieve what one Wills to achieve. (These things reflect my experiences with the most prominent goddess in my life.)

At the beginning of the Iliad, when Paris was told to choose between Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite, and chose Aphrodite... he was prioritizing something involving love, erotic passion and beauty over prowess in battle, strategy, and wisdom. He was prioritizing something involving love, erotic passion and beauty over political prowess and wealth. One in his position today might be sacrificing athletic or military opportunities (Athena) and political or financial opportunities (Hera) to pursue opportunities involving love, erotic passion, etc. (Aphrodite). As such, this story can be relatable whether one is theistic or atheistic... these gods can potentially be understood and experienced in various ways whether one is theistic or atheistic.

I evolved and at times syncretized deities and deific archetypes in ways that are relevant to my life and Weltanschauung in today's world. My pantheon however draws more from the deities of ancient Mesopotamia and Abrahamic lore, rather than Hellenic mythology. These mythologies were born in the desert, as I was, and thrived in the desert, as I have; as such they tend to be more useful and meaningful.
Cool! I love Athena, Freyja, and Aphrodite :D

I get more grace, visions, dreams, and meaningful experiences when I pray to murdered girls than any Diety though. They have reached godess status in my spirituality.

I even have feast days for them each month, make shrines for them in the woods, buy them flowers, keep candles and incense burning before their images, make burnt offerings, and transubstantiate wine into their blood. The universe has something for everyone :D

Last edited by a moderator:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

“The fact that we imagine ourselves to be right and everybody else wrong is the greatest of all obstacles in the path towards unity, and unity is necessary if we would reach truth, for truth is one.”

“Light is good in whatsoever lamp it is burning! A rose is beautiful in whatsoever garden it may bloom! A star has the same radiance if it shines from the East or from the West. Be free from prejudice, so will you love the Sun of Truth from whatsoever point in the horizon it may arise!

You will realize that if the Divine light of truth shone in Jesus Christ it also shone in Moses and in Buddha."

Excerpt From: Bahá, Abdu’l. “Paris Talks.” Bahá’í eBooks

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes. Because Im here and I met my grandmothers and have confirmation of their daily interaction with me, my family, and spirits in general. I had literal interactions and communicate with them daily. Thats how I know. They give me foundation. Not knowing my origin makes me at lost. The more I learn, thr more I know. Its not spiritual. Its fact.
That's beautiful! Yes, the spirit-people are with you my friend :). Never doubt that

Spiderman

Veteran Member
“The fact that we imagine ourselves to be right and everybody else wrong is the greatest of all obstacles in the path towards unity, and unity is necessary if we would reach truth, for truth is one.”

“Light is good in whatsoever lamp it is burning! A rose is beautiful in whatsoever garden it may bloom! A star has the same radiance if it shines from the East or from the West. Be free from prejudice, so will you love the Sun of Truth from whatsoever point in the horizon it may arise!

You will realize that if the Divine light of truth shone in Jesus Christ it also shone in Moses and in Buddha."

Excerpt From: Bahá, Abdu’l. “Paris Talks.” Bahá’í eBooks
I wish everyone had that attitude. There would be no religious wars or oppression. Bahaullah, please help us

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If the answer [to the question, "Do you know your religion is true"] is "yes", how do you know?

To know whether anything -- including a religion -- is true you need at least two things. First, you need a truth claim. A truth claim is, simply put, a claim that something is true. Most religions make at least some truth claims, although at least one religion (Shinto) does not seem to require followers to accept or believe any of its truth claims in order to be followers. Shinto is more concerned with practices than with truths.

The second thing you need is a means, method, or procedure for determining the manner and extent to which a religion's truth claims correspond to reality. The manner and extent to which a religion's truth claims correspond to reality is the manner and extent to which its claims are true.

The means, method, or procedure you use for determining the manner or extent to which a religion's truth claims correspond to reality answers your question, "How do you know [that your religion is true]."

I think if you were to test all the truth claims of almost any given religion, you would find that most of the claims were literally false, or -- at best -- metaphorical truths. For instance, so far as I can see, the truth claim of more than one religion -- that all of humanity is descended from just two people Adam and Eve -- is at best a metaphorical truth. Then again, I think that you would find some -- but perhaps not a majority -- of the truth claims to be literally true. Or at least literally true to some significant degree.

Of course, religions make other sorts of claims, too. That is, they make claims that are not truth claims. For instance, Confucianism claims that respect for elders is a preeminent value. Values are neither true nor false since they are not claims about about what is or is not real, but rather claims about the way(s) one should behave in regards to something, and perhaps also claims about the sentiments one should harbor towards something.

It is conceivable that there could be a religion whose entire set of truth claims was false, but which encouraged many values that people desire. Indeed, the truth claims made by a religion might be the least important aspects of the religion to some people.

Just my two cents.

interminable

منتظر
We know and apart from the logical arguments that we have
We have another reason to believe in our religion

آل عمران
فَمَنْ حَاجَّكَ فِيهِ مِن بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ فَقُلْ تَعَالَوْا نَدْعُ أَبْنَاءَنَا وَأَبْنَاءَكُمْ وَنِسَاءَنَا وَنِسَاءَكُمْ وَأَنفُسَنَا وَأَنفُسَكُمْ ثُمَّ نَبْتَهِلْ فَنَجْعَل لَّعْنَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَى الْكَاذِبِينَ
Then whoever argues with you about it after [this] knowledge has come to you - say, "Come, let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then supplicate earnestly [together] and invoke the curse of Allah upon the liars [among us]." (61)

This is why we say Islam is the only valid religion.
Take a look at this verse's interpretation and tell me your opinion

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Do you know your Religion is true?

Yes, confirmed by my death experience after my car accident 24/2/82...
(tested and found 'brain dead'
over 4 days, till my parents arrived and refused the hospitals request i be a transplant donor )

I still intend to have cross words with HaShem for sending me back with a task to perform and no instructions what or how...

Jedster

Truth is the very fabric of existance and underlies everything that is. It is like the canvas covered by the artists paint.
Religions/belief systems are similar to clothing. We need new clothes as we grow in order to be comfortable.
When we grow out of believing them as something absolute, then the consciousness on our planet can elevate.

Reggie Miller

And when Christians disagree on how to interpret Scripture (like they so often do) how do we discern who has the Holy Spirit?

Those who have the Holy Spirit know truth because the Spirit makes truth known to us. Those who know not truth know not the Holy Spirit.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
We know and apart from the logical arguments that we have
We have another reason to believe in our religion

آل عمران
فَمَنْ حَاجَّكَ فِيهِ مِن بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ فَقُلْ تَعَالَوْا نَدْعُ أَبْنَاءَنَا وَأَبْنَاءَكُمْ وَنِسَاءَنَا وَنِسَاءَكُمْ وَأَنفُسَنَا وَأَنفُسَكُمْ ثُمَّ نَبْتَهِلْ فَنَجْعَل لَّعْنَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَى الْكَاذِبِينَ
Then whoever argues with you about it after [this] knowledge has come to you - say, "Come, let us call our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then supplicate earnestly [together] and invoke the curse of Allah upon the liars [among us]." (61)

This is why we say Islam is the only valid religion.
Take a look at this verse's interpretation and tell me your opinion
That verse does not strike me as divinely inspired. I read the Quran and it filled me with Darkness. It was incoherent and poorly written.

All of the Holy Wars i can think of right now are muslim and the majority of people killed or oppressed for religious reasons, are oppressed by Muslims. The Koran filled me with darkness and confusion.I have an excuse for not following it.

A Vestigial Mote

I have no religion, and I simply refuse to take up the flag of any belief system. I will, from time to time, call myself atheist - but that has broad enough meaning for my tastes, and doesn't leave me feeling boxed up.

So, as much as "no religion" can be "true", I suppose it is. It is, at least, "right" for me. And that is really all that matters.

Reggie Miller

Hence the universal agreement amongst Christians.

Wrong. Hence, the divide. Many claim to have the Spirit that do not. Satan has worked his way into the churches and is trying to destroy them from the inside. As you can see, he is quite cunning in his work.

Naganami

From deep studying, knowledge, facts and meditation I have discovered that Satan is the absolute Truth (literally) and that no other Truth is greater than Him.

Reggie Miller

From deep studying, knowledge, facts and meditation I have discovered that Satan is the absolute Truth (literally) and that no other Truth is greater than Him.

So you have discovered that the Father of Lies is absolute truth? That doesn't make sense.