• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you have to Rescue someone in Danger?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Do you have to rescue someone in danger? - BBC News
From the article:
It is a harrowing video to watch: a man, crying out for help as he struggles to swim in the middle of a Florida pond.
Off camera, the voices of five teens, mocking him.
"They drowning, what the heck," one laughs.
"Ain't nobody fixing to help you," another is heard to say.
And, after his head disappeared under the water for the final time: "Oh, he just died."

This is not a crime no one was prosecuted.

My thoughts is that something should be done and I would love to talk to the teens but I can't make myself say it is a crime. If it was my kids I would make them feel incredibly bad and espress my displeasure and punish them for mocking the man but not for letting him die. This is tuff for me to resolve.

How do you feel?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Do you have to rescue someone in danger? - BBC News
From the article:
It is a harrowing video to watch: a man, crying out for help as he struggles to swim in the middle of a Florida pond.
Off camera, the voices of five teens, mocking him.
"They drowning, what the heck," one laughs.
"Ain't nobody fixing to help you," another is heard to say.
And, after his head disappeared under the water for the final time: "Oh, he just died."

This is not a crime no one was prosecuted.

My thoughts is that something should be done and I would love to talk to the teens but I can't make myself say it is a crime. If it was my kids I would make them feel incredibly bad and espress my displeasure and punish them for mocking the man but not for letting him die. This is tuff for me to resolve.

How do you feel?

Helping someone is not required, not by law. Whether it should be or not is a fascinating concept. Certainly standing there mocking is not an acceptable response to the situation.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It is a moral crime to be fully aware of such a plight and refuse to even attempt to help.

It is a worse one to find pleasure in it.

I do believe if they posted the video, there should be a penalty or crime for that.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
If you can't directly help, at least try to find help. They could've used the phone to dial 911. To do nothing but taunt and laugh at someone as they watch them die, and then to show no regret or remorse afterwards demonstrates that they have no place in society.

I would agree if they had a phone they should of called for help by not though I still can't call it a crime. The taunting and posting of the video should be a crime.

DavidFirth

Biblical references rarely cause criminal arrests.

1058g7b.jpg

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Because a life was at risk. The crime would be not attempting help someone in mortal danger. I don't think society can afford to tolerate this kind of behaviour.

If someone goes in a bank with a machine gun are you obligated to try and stop them from killing people or can you just hide and watch. Supposed none of the teens knew how to swim.

Yerda

Veteran Member
If someone goes in a bank with a machine gun are you obligated to try and stop them from killing people or can you just hide and watch. Supposed none of the teens knew how to swim.
They could have phoned the emergency services.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
manslaughter through inaction?
Manslaughter -the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder:

They really didn't kill the man they just didn't help. My problem with this is that I can picture many circumstances where people don't help. Some people automatically run the other way when people scream. It is built in flight or fight. If its an instinct can we make it a crime. Can we excuse people legally that naturally run from danger or freeze in danger.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
They could have phoned the emergency services.

Thanks for the replies, I am trying to work this out myself. This incident is only one. People are always in danger and in most cases others are around. A funnier one was a repair man traped in an ATM. He was making noises and slipping notes to people to call his boss. Most people laughed it off as a joke. It wasn't but finally someone called his boss for him. Say he died should the other people be charged.