• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Have a Problem with Infinity?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just viewed a you tube item.....the Banach/Tarski Paradox

but can you deal with such things?

Who me

A paradox is a puzel it is not necessarily fact.

It is not possible to divide a ball into an infinite number of piecies, so they cannot be reassembled into two identical balls.

It is an interesting paradox.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

What do you mean by deal with them? There are exactly the same number of even integers as integers in total. There are more real numbers from 0.0 to 1.0 than there are integers. The number 0.99999...[forever] is exactly equal to 1.

Infinity leads to odd results but it can be dealt with mathematically.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A paradox is a puzel it is not necessarily fact.

It is not possible to divide a ball into an infinite number of piecies, so they cannot be reassembled into two identical balls.

It is an interesting paradox.
there is some speculation of particles having be.......harmed
but the mass is not reduced

I'm not sure I buy that

Nous

Premium Member

Especially as revealed to us by set theory, which is apparently the basis of all mathematics, I think infinity, namely under the aegis of infinite sets, is a wonderful, paradoxical, mind-bending and unavoidable idea. The infinite is real, here and now.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What do you mean by deal with them? There are exactly the same number of even integers as integers in total. There are more real numbers from 0.0 to 1.0 than there are integers. The number 0.99999...[forever] is exactly equal to 1.

Infinity leads to odd results but it can be dealt with mathematically.
if you start with ......an infinitely small number....
a fraction of one

move toward....one
and you will never get there

Thief

Rogue Theologian
start with any two points.....at random
divide the distance between.....by two
chose one or other the resulting length
divide by two

keep going

see you in the next life

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and this is science AND religion

do you think thee equations for the next life?
or is a matter of balance?......one action and the consequence that follows

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As a mathematician, I work with infinity all the time. There are consistent rules for infinite sets, but they are not the same as the rules for finite sets (why would they be?).

In the Banach-tarski paradox, a sphere is divided into a *finite* number of pieces and those pieces are rearranged into a larger (or smaller) sphere. The two spheres have the same number of points (an uncountable infinity, in fact), but the surprise is that only finitely many pieces are required and the pieces are rearranged by rigid motions.

In reality, the pieces would be impossible to actually make: they require infinite precision in selection of the points and there is no reason to think precision beyond the Planck length is possible.

Another aspect of this result is that it depends on the Axiom of Choice. In particular, an infinite number of fairly arbitrary choices must be made in forming the pieces. In essence, the pieces don't have a well-defined value for their volume (which is possible if the AC is assumed) and so the rearrangement is not limited by volume considerations.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
if you start with ......an infinitely small number....
a fraction of one

move toward....one
and you will never get there

There are no infinitely small numbers. The set of real numbers obeys the Archimedian property.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The amazing thing is that you can have a finite set while at the same time you can have an infinite set. Basically you can count infinity and structure it with finite points. However it will always remain Infinity.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

No, I have no problem with infinity. I don't work with infinite sets, or much at all with advanced mathematics, so I rarely run into infinities...I find that when I run into an infinity (say, for example, the value of Pi), pragmatically chopping it off at three or four places to the right of the decimal provides a very useful answer.

My awe and inability to really comprehend infinity of any sort has nothing to do with much of anything in my life...paradoxes may be a good way to stretch one's mind, but my lack of comprehension doesn't have a practical application, as far as I am concerned.

others' mileage will vary, of course...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Infinity works so well.
It would be hard to do even basic math without it, eg, differential calculus.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are many cosmologists who hypothesize that there is no "ultimate cause" materialistically and that everything goes back into infinity, which is only slightly older than I am. IOW, there may have been always s(S)omething.

ecco

Veteran Member
RE:

The only people who have a problem with infinity are those who believe that after they die they will spend eternity (an infinite number of years) in heaven. They really do not comprehend that after a very small percentage of infinity, there will be absolutely nothing for them to do that they haven't already done repeatedly for billions of times.

They do not realize that they will become completely insane.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
RE:

The only people who have a problem with infinity are those who believe that after they die they will spend eternity (an infinite number of years) in heaven. They really do not comprehend that after a very small percentage of infinity, there will be absolutely nothing for them to do that they haven't already done repeatedly for billions of times.

They do not realize that the will become completely insane.

some years ago.....I had a thread topic

God is Insane

GoodbyeDave

I don't have a problem with infinity: I just disbelieve in it. There have been enough mathematicians who have agreed with me to leave me feeling comfortable about that!